Mechanical Engineering - Leeds vs Sheffield Watch

GalaxysEdge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi there, I’m tied between Uni of Leeds or Uni of Sheffield for MEng Mechanical Engineering. I have conditional offers for both, AAA at Sheffield and AAB at Leeds, as it will be reduced from A*AA with the completion of Access to Leeds. This reduced offer will only apply if I put Leeds as my firm choice.

For a while my heart has been set on Leeds, I just knew the city and campus felt right and the course is very good. However after visiting the Sheffield Applicant day, I am now stuck between them both. I think that the facilities for engineering at Sheffield are outstanding, and are much more invested and modern compared to Leeds, which is obviously a big factor in how the study experience will be.

Leeds is very high on league tables compared to Sheffield, but I don’t really know what makes Leeds so much better than other Unis for engineering.

I am just stuck, and not sure what to do.
Any help would be appreciated.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GalaxysEdge)
Hi there, I’m tied between Uni of Leeds or Uni of Sheffield for MEng Mechanical Engineering. I have conditional offers for both, AAA at Sheffield and AAB at Leeds, as it will be reduced from A*AA with the completion of Access to Leeds. This reduced offer will only apply if I put Leeds as my firm choice.

For a while my heart has been set on Leeds, I just knew the city and campus felt right and the course is very good. However after visiting the Sheffield Applicant day, I am now stuck between them both. I think that the facilities for engineering at Sheffield are outstanding, and are much more invested and modern compared to Leeds, which is obviously a big factor in how the study experience will be.

Leeds is very high on league tables compared to Sheffield, but I don’t really know what makes Leeds so much better than other Unis for engineering.

I am just stuck, and not sure what to do.
Any help would be appreciated.
Pick the course you prefer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ta24.talha
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
On a real, I would stick with Leeds if I was you as they are ranked very high and have a very strong engineering department especially in mechanical engineering, I haven’t heard anything about Sheffield though but I know the engineering department in Leeds is very supportive and do provide a lot of support to students taking an engineering course at their university.
GalaxysEdge
Rep:
?
Thankyou for your help
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ta24.talha)
On a real, I would stick with Leeds if I was you as they are ranked very high and have a very strong engineering department especially in mechanical engineering, I haven’t heard anything about Sheffield though but I know the engineering department in Leeds is very supportive and do provide a lot of support to students taking an engineering course at their university.
Sheffield is notably strong for Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ta24.talha
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Leeds is 7th for mechanical engineering and Sheffield is 15th
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ta24.talha)
Leeds is 7th for mechanical engineering and Sheffield is 15th
Rankings change all the time, I wouldn't put much store on them for this exercise. (Sheffield was 4th a few years ago.)

They are both good universities. OP should choose the course they prefer and a university they want to live at for 4 or so years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd go for Leeds at the moment, Sheffield's mechanical engineering department is a shambles right now and they're going to have a bad decade.
GalaxysEdge
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
I'd go for Leeds at the moment, Sheffield's mechanical engineering department is a shambles right now and they're going to have a bad decade.
What do you mean a shambles, what's happened?
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Really, what happened? I thought you enjoyed it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GalaxysEdge)
What do you mean a shambles, what's happened?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Really, what happened? I thought you enjoyed it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Poor management, no renewal of funding for a lot of high value and prestigious projects which were seen as guaranteed to be renewed, an expected drop in government funding from poor performance in the next Research Excellence Framework. As a result of these things a lot of staff are leaving too.

I was studying Aerospace for my undergrad which is under a different department at Sheffield and while we took some mech modules we were largely isolated from any problems with mech. For new cohorts there will be greater effects even in aero due to how big the changes are in mech (lots of engineering modules are being sacrificed in exchange for management modules as part of the management shake-up), but still relatively small. I would still recommend aero and pretty much any other engineering degree at Sheffield because of that, though I would be hesitant about anything run by mechanical engineering or the AMRC. As an undergrad you also don't really know much about what is going on at the university, why things happen, etc so it's easy to just go with the flow because you know you're stuck there for 3-4 years anyway.

Now during my PhD I was under mechanical engineering and if you have politically minded supervisors, you end up getting much more of the details even though ironically they're less pertinent to you, but certainly that information can be passed onto people making decisions about where to go to university.
Last edited by Helloworld_95; 4 weeks ago
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Poor management, no renewal of funding for a lot of high value and prestigious projects which were seen as guaranteed to be renewed, an expected drop in government funding from poor performance in the next Research Excellence Framework. As a result of these things a lot of staff are leaving too.

I was studying Aerospace for my undergrad which is under a different department at Sheffield and while we took some mech modules we were largely isolated from any problems with mech. For new cohorts there will be greater effects even in aero due to how big the changes are in mech (lots of engineering modules are being sacrificed in exchange for management modules as part of the management shake-up), but still relatively small. I would still recommend aero and pretty much any other engineering degree at Sheffield because of that, though I would be hesitant about anything run by mechanical engineering or the AMRC. As an undergrad you also don't really know much about what is going on at the university, why things happen, etc so it's easy to just go with the flow because you know you're stuck there for 3-4 years anyway.

Now during my PhD I was under mechanical engineering and if you have politically minded supervisors, you end up getting much more of the details even though ironically they're less pertinent to you, but certainly that information can be passed onto people making decisions about where to go to university.
Oh dear.

Well, OP, there's your insight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GalaxysEdge
Rep:
?

Thankyou for your reply, and I am sorry you have been messed around like that...imma have to reconsider Sheffield
mohdk2001
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I am currently considering Sheffield for Bioengineering. Would you advise against it?
(also have an offer from leeds)
Helloworld_95
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mohdk2001)
I am currently considering Sheffield for Bioengineering. Would you advise against it?
(also have an offer from leeds)
No, definitely wouldn't advise against it. Bioengineering has minimal contact with mechanical, and it offers a good amount of actual biology and medical content which no other university does in their bioeng/biomed eng degree from what I've seen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (147)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (244)
30.73%

Watched Threads