Denied my own mail Watch

Deycallmesmithy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I live in student accommodation/halls, like the usual 5, 6, 7 rooms in each flat with shared kitchen. I ordered some thing online and paid £5 for next day delivery. The next day i got an email saying it was delivered, and went to collect it from the Reception here. They told me that they number them all and put them in a register, and that night they will put a note under my door with the parcel number and I would have to collect it the next morning and bring ID so they know it is me. I mean is it legal to refuse someone their post? What are my options? (obviously picking it up tomorrow, but I didn't pay £5 extra to get it tomorrow)
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Deycallmesmithy)
So I live in student accommodation/halls, like the usual 5, 6, 7 rooms in each flat with shared kitchen. I ordered some thing online and paid £5 for next day delivery. The next day i got an email saying it was delivered, and went to collect it from the Reception here. They told me that they number them all and put them in a register, and that night they will put a note under my door with the parcel number and I would have to collect it the next morning and bring ID so they know it is me. I mean is it legal to refuse someone their post? What are my options? (obviously picking it up tomorrow, but I didn't pay £5 extra to get it tomorrow)
They're not refusing you your post. They have a system for managing post and it just so happens that you can't just wander down and pick something up the moment it is delivered. This is fairly normal, especially in large student accommodation where they may get a lot of post on a daily basis. Just be patient and go pick it up tomorrow morning.

Trying to look at this from a legal perspective is silly.
literaryromantic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is a legal process you can follow. Contact your local county councillor, get them to speak to Parliament. And also, try getting over yourself.
Deycallmesmithy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
They're not refusing you your post. They have a system for managing post and it just so happens that you can't just wander down and pick something up the moment it is delivered. This is fairly normal, especially in large student accommodation where they may get a lot of post on a daily basis. Just be patient and go pick it up tomorrow morning.

Trying to look at this from a legal perspective is silly.
Well they kind of are. I asked for my mail and they refused, it's pretty simple. It's my medical prescription that I get delivered if you must know, so it has nothing to do with not being patient, I need it. I really don't think it is silly!
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This was the same system that was used at my private halls. They don't want any parcel to be untraceable, so they ensure that there's a paper trail from receiving the parcel to giving it to you. The last thing they want is for a parcel to not be recorded in their official system and for it go missing as a result (as they would be liable due to being the ones receiving/signing for the parcel). It also prevents other tenants claiming to be you so that they can take your parcel without your permission.

You were just unlucky on this occasion; they probably had an influx of post to sort, and didn't get around to yours in time for it to be collected the same day. When you live in student accommodation, it's best to not expect same-day service, even if you pay for it (your halls office won't necessarily able to tell that you paid for next-day delivery). In future if it's urgent, you could always let them know ahead of time to see if they will prioritise your post for sorting.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well they kind of are. I asked for my mail and they refused, it's pretty simple. It's my medical prescription that I get delivered if you must know, so it has nothing to do with not being patient, I need it. I really don't think it is silly!
They're well within their rights to do that, because they accept mail on your behalf and then have to process it through their system. Once again, it's not refusing you your mail. You would have agreed to this system when you decided to live in halls, because it should be fairly obvious that the postman can't simply deliver it to you himself. This is necessary to ensure post is recorded in the system, to prevent theft and to generally make it possible to deal with the large amount of mail you get when you have a ton of students living in one building.

Did you try explaining to them that it's a medical prescription that you urgently need? In my experience staff are usually quite accommodating if it's an emergency. Unless they know, they can't do anything to help. But in the future I'd recommend dealing with your prescription sooner so that the delay isn't an issue, and making staff aware on the offchance they can prioritise your mail. Everyone involved in getting the post to you is doing their job correctly, so there isn't fundamentally a problem that you can approach from a legal perspective. That's why it's silly.
Deycallmesmithy
Rep:
?
(Original post by literaryromantic)
There is a legal process you can follow. Contact your local county councillor, get them to speak to Parliament. And also, try getting over yourself.
No need to be a ****. Doubt you would say that to my face so you're just a coward really.
Deycallmesmithy
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
This was the same system that was used at my private halls. They don't want any parcel to be untraceable, so they ensure that there's a paper trail from receiving the parcel to giving it to you. The last thing they want is for a parcel to not be recorded in their official system and for it go missing as a result (as they would be liable due to being the ones receiving/signing for the parcel). It also prevents other tenants claiming to be you so that they can take your parcel without your permission.

You were just unlucky on this occasion; they probably had an influx of post to sort, and didn't get around to yours in time for it to be collected the same day. When you live in student accommodation, it's best to not expect same-day service, even if you pay for it (your halls office won't necessarily able to tell that you paid for next-day delivery). In future if it's urgent, you could always let them know ahead of time to see if they will prioritise your post for sorting.
Okay, fair enough. I understand why they have the system I just think it could be more efficient. But tbh I don't think the storage area is very big so I think that's more why it is necessary. Maybe if they could find it and I'll fill in the log book, that would work as well. No, I don't think they ever do same day collection, unless it's letters which they will post under your door. Yes I guess I could do that, tbh I think I was just venting because I'm pretty stressed atm, and couldn't be done with the hassle. But thanks for your thoughts on it.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In my place they use an app to give us the number. I’ve even gone down when someone has delivered several packages and they gave it to me, before they were processed.

Your place sounds lazy if they can’t deal with it efficiently.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Bio 7; 4 weeks ago
Lady Jamie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Haha, ppl are so litigious these days. This policy is likely to have been included somewhere on something that you might have signed sometime back.

Same thing did happen to me during the Christmas period. Basically just went down, explained the situation (nicely) and asked if they could give me a few mins to quickly look for it myself. They agreed, I found it and was a happy girl for the rest of the day. Maybe explain to them the severity of ur situation and see if they could arrange something informally next time.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Did you tell them it was medication you needed immediately? I doubt there's any legal proceedings and tbh it's like a 12 hour delay on your post it's not worth the fight. But I do think it's a bit crappy...
Deycallmesmithy
Rep:
?
(Original post by doodle_333)
Did you tell them it was medication you needed immediately? I doubt there's any legal proceedings and tbh it's like a 12 hour delay on your post it's not worth the fight. But I do think it's a bit crappy...
Nope, I didn't think it was any of there business tbh, I guess asking them beforehand to keep it separate or something might work. I think it just took me by surprise, I wasn't expecting them to just say no.
Deycallmesmithy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bio 7)
In my place they use an app to give us the number. I’ve even gone down when someone has delivered several packages and they gave it to me, before they were processed.

Your place sounds lazy if they can’t deal with it efficiently.
Yeah maybe next time I will just sit and wait in reception within the 2 hour time slot they told me it would be delivered in and take it off the delivery mans hands, waiting 2 hours sure beats waiting 24 hours haha
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah maybe next time I will just sit and wait in reception within the 2 hour time slot they told me it would be delivered in and take it off the delivery mans hands, waiting 2 hours sure beats waiting 24 hours haha
I'm sure if you explained it was medication you needed and had your ID on you they would've accomodated for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (119)
17.68%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (71)
10.55%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (99)
14.71%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (65)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (200)
29.72%

Watched Threads