The Student Room Group

Strained relationship with mother

So for a very long time my relationship with my mother has been strained.

From childhood she's been highly critical about my academic achievements and as time went on it's included personality, behaviour and as a person in general. I am by no means a 'rebellious' child, I consider myself to be pretty mellow and easy-going, but whenever I try to have a civil conversation with her, more often than not she becomes highly aggressive and accuses me of having a temper and being ungrateful.

I have my bouts of cold silence where I don't speak to her whenever she becomes unreasonably angry at me but I almost never retaliate.

My other family members aren't much help: my older brother is overseas, and to be fair he's nowhere near close to any family member (he's been absent most of my life); my father doesn't like to get involved in any conflict and rarely steps in to try and reason with her.

I'm just a couple months away from turning 18 and I'm seriously considering to move out as soon as I am able as I stand to lose nothing if I go. Quite frankly I'm sick of being with my family and would appreciate any advice that would help my relationship with my mother before I make any decisions to leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending