Size:  53.4 KB
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
I've been expecting that.
Her recent interview comments and all the media publicity focusing on her guaranteed it would happen sooner rather than later.
I don't get why she didn't just go to Turkey and get on the next plane back rather than publically announce she wants to come back and then make such unfavourable pro terrorism remarks

Yeah she would have been arrested as soon as she got off the plane, but she'd still have got her wish

She's deluded if she thought she could come back to the UK with no repercussions whatsoever
Audrey18
Badges: 21
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by The RAR)
She has a Bengali passport so she is not really stateless
(Original post by karl pilkington)
Good decision finally, apparently she was born in Bangladesh so she will not be stateless; so it is legal under international law.
(Original post by 999tigger)
Yes I know all that, but the thinking was she was a British citizen by birth and thus allowed to return. I dont want her back for the risk, treason, lack of remorse an expense. The interviews with no remorse just confirmed that.
Why return to the UK? Is Bangladesh not as attractive as the UK :party:
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
Attachment 799160

feels bad man
On at least three occasions given the number of children she has had.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
proton & neutron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I suspect the Home Office has lawyers and made the decision under legal advice.

As mentioned before, it is not illegal per se. Naturalised persons can have their citizenship revoked.
(Original post by karl pilkington)
Good decision finally, apparently she was born in Bangladesh so she will not be stateless; so it is legal under international law.
She was born and grow up in London (Bethnal Green) so is not a naturalised British citizen and there is no evidence she is actively a citizen of Bangladesh (even if she is entitled to make a claim for it by decent in many countries this can be at there discretion).

Isn't anyone alarmed by the precedent this set and I sure it against many international treaties this country has signed to make people stateless?
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
You are right that we don’t know the details of her status.

If she is British by birth as opposed to naturalisation, then “could reasonably acquire” another nationality isn’t good enough. She actually has to have another nationality now.

If she is naturalised British (or rather was registered as British on her parents’ naturalisation) “could reasonably acquire” is good enough.

It is hard to be a Bangladeshi dual national. Bangladesh normally requires its citizens to get permission to be a dual national. Without that permission Bangladeshi citizenship may be lost. Goodness knows if there are any exceptions to this.

There is a lot of scope for egg on face here.
There's a good deal of case law on what is meant by "reasonable grounds for believing that the person is able, under the law of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom, to become a national of such a country or territory". I did look at a wee bit, not enough to profess any expertise, but enough to know it was well-defined. Will defer to you if you submit that HO acted against that case law (immigration stuff was never my thing).
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ANM775)
I don't get why she didn't just go to Turkey and get on the next plane back rather than publically announce she wants to come back and then make such unfavourable pro terrorism remarks

Yeah she would have been arrested as soon as she got off the plane, but she'd still have got her wish

She's deluded if she thought she could come back to the UK with no repercussions whatsoever
Maybe an attention seeker that craves the oxygen of publicity.
Airlines normally refuse to fly heavily pregnant women past 28 weeks, apparently the time limit exists that airlines won't exceed for fear of liability for risking the heath of the woman and unborn child.
If her husband is alive, he may not be keen on giving her money or allowing her to travel without him.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
lovely 😊
Toki the Dumdum
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ANM775)

She's a bit thick? Or she doesn't realise the magnitude of what she's done so assumed she'd just be whisked back? It would tie in with her blase attitude in interviews.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by proton & neutron)
She was born and grow up in London (Bethnal Green) so is not a naturalised British citizen and there is no evidence she is actively a citizen of Bangladesh (even if she is entitled to make a claim for it by decent in many countries this can be at there discretion).

Isn't anyone alarmed by the precedent this set and I sure it against many international treaties this country has signed to make people stateless?
It's really quite simple; london and nulli summarised it. Being born in the UK does not make you necessarily a British citizen (something I found out when giving immigration advice, after the client left; hence I don't like immigration law). You are restating a common misconception.

I could show you the international treaties, if you'd like; and the reservation we have under it.
Last edited by Notoriety; 4 weeks ago
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by proton & neutron)

The fact that someone is born in the UK or spends much of their childhood here does not automatically make them a British citizen.
The Home Office took the decision with access to the relevant information as to her citizenships and whether she has been naturalised.
I very much doubt that she is stateless.
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Excellent.
She's not even sorry in the interviews and wants to exploit 'british values' to take her back in after she was so quick to go against them.
We need to look after the honest, law abiding, peaceful and vulnerable people on our society not the likes of her.

As I've said before shamima begone.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sadly we cannot bring her back to the country to be hung but oh well she deserves everything she gets
Last edited by AperfectBalance; 4 weeks ago
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
There's a good deal of case law on what is meant by "reasonable grounds for believing that the person is able, under the law of a country or territory outside the United Kingdom, to become a national of such a country or territory". I did look at a wee bit, not enough to profess any expertise, but enough to know it was well-defined. Will defer to you if you submit that HO acted against that case law (immigration stuff was never my thing).
Section 40 (4A) BNA 1981 only applies to people who are naturalised.

I had assumed that it caught children who were registered on their parents’ naturalisation (minors cannot themselves be naturalised) but that doesn’t look right. That means there is no chance of revoking her citizenship unless she actually holds another citizenship and so section 40 (4) is satisfied.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Maybe an attention seeker that craves the oxygen of publicity.
Airlines normally refuse to fly heavily pregnant women past 28 weeks, apparently the time limit exists that airlines won't exceed for fear of liability for risking the heath of the woman and unborn child.
If her husband is alive, he may not be keen on giving her money or allowing her to travel without him.
The husband is in jail in Syria currently, she should be locked up with him
TheNamesBond.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank fu*k is all I’ve got to say really.

Besides that, the family of Shamima will be challenging this decision, who do they think they are, your daughters a risk to our countries security, do you think we’re going to be sympathetic to your scenario and risk lives of our own here on UK soil? No.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hHwaoNViXmI
Last edited by TheNamesBond.; 4 weeks ago
C0mpletelyBr0ke
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Should bring back the Einsatzgruppen for these wastes of Oxygen!
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There are some tweets out there suggesting she's a dual national of Bangladesh. Either that or she's entitled to Bangladeshi nationality by virtue of her mother being a Bangladeshi national.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by The RAR)
The husband is in jail in Syria currently, she should be locked up with him
Tbf we dont really know what she got up to, but he was a combatant. He is also dutch, so they might get her.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads