BF called my art project worthless + caused some damage to it during our fight Watch

Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I seriously hate him right now, and I'm not sure if I ever want to see his face again. I can fix the damage, but it's the fact that he has zero faith in me and my abilities that bothers me the most. I've been working on this project for over a year now, which I do realise is a long time, but art projects do take time.
He thinks that I should focus on other things, and that my art projects will never really bring me any money.
So tired of getting disappointed by everyone close to me.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly that's something that you might want to break up with him over, if he knows you really care about art then he wouldn't and shouldn't have done that. Even if you don't earn money, which you definitely can, at least it's a passion you enjoy.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
I seriously hate him right now, and I'm not sure if I ever want to see his face again. I can fix the damage, but it's the fact that he has zero faith in me and my abilities that bothers me the most. I've been working on this project for over a year now, which I do realise is a long time, but art projects do take time.
He thinks that I should focus on other things, and that my art projects will never really bring me any money.
Is it the same one. Utterly amazed you are together considering what you do to each other.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your partner said those things to you in anger.
Odds are when he calms down, he'll apologize and try to make it up to you.
Don't believe that he lacks faith in you.
There a reason why you have stayed together for so many years.

What sort of art do you do?
I do photography and painting.
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly this could be something you may want to break up over. If he knows that art is something you enjoy he shouldn't do that. Even if you don't earn any money from it, which you certainly can, it's something you enjoy and are passionate about and so should keep doing
DSutch
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello Tracey, how is the bed?
Ciel.
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Is it the same one. Utterly amazed you are together considering what you do to each other.
Yeah, it is. Our relationship is a complicated one. It's easy for people to say that we should "just break up". But we've been through a lot together. So it's difficult to imagine coming home to someone else, despite everything. Hell, even our pets, they are like our kids - we would probably have to go to Court to solve that, if we were to ever break up.

(Original post by londonmyst)
Your partner said those things to you in anger.
Odds are when he calms down, he'll apologize and try to make it up to you.
Don't believe that he lacks faith in you.
There a reason why you have stayed together for so many years.

What sort of art do you do?
I do photography and painting.
Yeah but often when people are angry, they actually more honest than normally. So I'm convinced that's what he really thinks. Oh, it's and writing+drawing, those are the main two things. I'm into photography as well, but not planning to make a career out of it.

(Original post by DSutch)
Hello Tracey, how is the bed?
Eh? Is that a quote, or something?
DSutch
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)

A reference to Tracey Emin, famous for her self portrait 'My Bed"
Ciel.
Rep:
?
(Original post by DSutch)
(Original post by Ciel.)

A reference to Tracey Emin, famous for her self portrait 'My Bed"
Ah, I actually think that her project was pretty interesting... That's what depression often looks like.
Jasminekouphou14
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Jesus. That’s not okay.
I’ve applied to university for a foundation diploma in art and design and currently working my ass off to create work for my portfolio.
My boyfriend would never put me down about anything I enjoyed and was passionate about.
I usually give up on my self and my art but my boyfriend is there to pick me up and tell me to get on with it and do my best.
A relationship is about support, appreciation and love.
I understand you may have gone through a lot together and it’s hard to picture your self with anyone but him.
Step back and look at your relationship. Sit down and have a talk with him and express your feelings.

A piece you worked on for over a year should be treated with respect. He needs to be on your side and support you.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jasminekouphou14)
Jesus. That’s not okay.
I’ve applied to university for a foundation diploma in art and design and currently working my ass off to create work for my portfolio.
My boyfriend would never put me down about anything I enjoyed and was passionate about.
I usually give up on my self and my art but my boyfriend is there to pick me up and tell me to get on with it and do my best.
A relationship is about support, appreciation and love.
I understand you may have gone through a lot together and it’s hard to picture your self with anyone but him.
Step back and look at your relationship. Sit down and have a talk with him and express your feelings.

A piece you worked on for over a year should be treated with respect. He needs to be on your side and support you.
Ehh. Perhaps he's just being realistic. Personally, I don't think I'm too ambitious, but who knows. I'm still mad at him, lol.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
Calling your art project worthless was maybe said in the heat of the moment and therefore forgivable if he genuinely apologises. But did he cause damage to it on purpose or by accident? Because if he did it on purpose, I think that's completely out of order and unforgivable
Ciel.
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Calling your art project worthless was maybe said in the heat of the moment and therefore forgivable if he genuinely apologises. But did he cause damage to it on purpose or by accident? Because if he did it on purpose, I think that's completely out of order and unforgivable
On purpose. It was in the middle of our argument, though.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
On purpose. It was in the middle of our argument, though.
I know some couples have passionate relationships with lots of fighting and it's exciting in a way...it starts to seem normal to the two of you. But I don't think it was ok for him to damage your art project, that was very wrong of him in my opinion. Argument or not, would you have damaged something of his that was as important?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
I can’t blame him for being frustrated with you. You spend his money, sleep around and tell lies. I would be frustrated if my partner was making art projects (which won’t make money) instead of getting a job. An art project is a hobby and not a vocation.

You need to get off your ass and stop feeling sorry for yourself. Stop blaming other people for your own faults and take responsibility. Your life is in your hands. If you want to make excuses, then that’s your fault.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I know some couples have passionate relationships with lots of fighting and it's exciting in a way...it starts to seem normal to the two of you. But I don't think it was ok for him to damage your art project, that was very wrong of him in my opinion. Argument or not, would you have damaged something of his that was as important?
I broke his phone once.

(Original post by Anonymous)
I can’t blame him for being frustrated with you. You spend his money, sleep around and tell lies. I would be frustrated if my partner was making art projects (which won’t make money) instead of getting a job. An art project is a hobby and not a vocation.

You need to get off your ass and stop feeling sorry for yourself. Stop blaming other people for your own faults and take responsibility. Your life is in your hands. If you want to make excuses, then that’s your fault.
Won't make any money? That's just his opinion, though. I strongly believe they will make a lot of money. And it's not 'instead of getting a job'. I can't get a job. It's as simple as that. I can't get a regular job so I am trying to turn my hobby into a business.

I will never stop 'blaming other people for my own faults', because none of this is my fault. My life would have been completely different. A certain someone turned me into this mess, and I will never take responsibility for it. I had no faults prior to that.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
I broke his phone once.

Won't make any money? That's just his opinion, though. I strongly believe they will make a lot of money. And it's not 'instead of getting a job'. I can't get a job. It's as simple as that. I can't get a regular job so I am trying to turn my hobby into a business.

I will never stop 'blaming other people for my own faults', because none of this is my fault. My life would have been completely different. A certain someone turned me into this mess, and I will never take responsibility for it. I had no faults prior to that.
Everyone has been used and everyone has had problems. You seem to have zero self-awareness and you’re entirely self-absorbed - nobody else matters and the world revolves around you. No wonder you’re miserable.

Whatever has had happened to you, what you do now is a choice. You didn’t have faults before because everyone has faults. I don’t know why you continue to make threads because you never listen to anyone but yourself. I think your boyfriend is a saint to put up with your antics and manipulation.
ThatOldGuy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
... Do you two live together? Does he pay for rent and food?

Those two questions aren't really important other than for me to try to get a handle on this. If he's damaging your things during fights, that's a red flag. I just want to know if the red flag is 'He's saying mean things and wrecking things that are important to you just because he's mad at you' vs 'He's spent the last 12 months paying rent and food by himself because you aren't bringing any money in'.

My thoughts will be different depending on which of those is true.
Deggs_14
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Dump him what a ****
kekedoyouloveme?
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Erm why are you still together? He completely has no respect for what you do and thus how can he respect you for who you are so frankly I feel you should break up w him
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (14)
16.09%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (6)
6.9%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (16)
18.39%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (11)
12.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (11)
12.64%
How can I be the best version of myself? (29)
33.33%

Watched Threads