university of portsmouth Watch

mehdiabid810
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I put the uni of Portsmouth as my firm choice to start this September, can anyone studying or has studied there tell me a bit about it. Pretty nervous tbh
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mehdiabid810)
I put the uni of Portsmouth as my firm choice to start this September, can anyone studying or has studied there tell me a bit about it. Pretty nervous tbh
Which course? Have you visited the place? Have you looked at the modules? What is it that you want to know - any specific questions?

I'll move this to University of Portsmouth and I'll tag the official rep, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi mehdiabid810

It's completely normal to feel nervous about starting University, and trust me you aren't the only one. Just remember that everyone is in the same boat and its going to be a new experience for you all - hopefully one of the best times of your life!

What would you like to know in particular? I was a student at Portsmouth and graduated recently so will be able to answer them for you - I had a brilliant experience here, made friends for life and loved it so much I now work for the University!

Alex - UoP Rep
mehdiabid810
Rep:
?
Hi Alex,
Thanks for your reply. I would go down and visit the university but sadly I happen to live 8 hours away in Manchester : /
I attend college at the moment studying engineering, but the tutors there hardly teach and only hand out assignments for us to complete. Some days I feel like i'm going to college just for my attendence and not to learn. I applied at the uni of Portsmouth to sudy a Beng in Petroleum Engineering, will I be making my money's worth or will I just turn up to uni for my attendence and do work when I go back to my room?
What's the uni buildings like? Will I get lost trying to find my way through haha! Also what is the Students' union like? Does it turn into a night club at night like Cardiff Uni does?
Last edited by mehdiabid810; 4 weeks ago
University of Portsmouth
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Alex,
Thanks for your reply. I would go down and visit the university but sadly I happen to live 8 hours away in Manchester : /
I attend college at the moment studying engineering, but the tutors there hardly teach and only hand out assignments for us to complete. Some days I feel like i'm going to college just for my attendence and not to learn. I applied at the uni of Portsmouth to sudy a Beng in Petroleum Engineering, will I be making my money's worth or will I just turn up to uni for my attendence and do work when I go back to my room?
What's the uni buildings like? Will I get lost trying to find my way through haha! Also what is the Students' union like? Does it turn into a night club at night like Cardiff Uni does?
Hi mehdiabid810

Sorry in advance for the long answer!

University is what you make it, if you just go to lectures and seminars and do minimal work then you aren't making the most out of it. With engineering you need a degree to be able to practice it - its the quickest route into the industry and therefore of course you will make your money's worth.

You can attend the lectures and seminars, make use of the library facilities or the open access areas (where you can rent laptops). In fact you could keep your halls room solely for relaxing and just use all of the university facilities to do your work.

Each faculty has a placements office, they will actively help you find a placement in your 2nd year so you can gain more knowledge and put into practice what you have learnt at University, improving your future job prospects even further.

You will get a personal tutor on your course who you can go to for anything, whether that be personal or University based.

You will have a faculty dedicated librarian who is an expert in finding you relevant and reliable research.

You can use our other facilities and services - for example if you struggle with maths you can go to our free maths cafe or if you want someone to check your work over/refine your writing skills you can go the the Academic Support Unit.

Those students who use all of the services available to them get a more full rounded experience at university - after all you are paying for it, why wouldn't you use them?

The University buildings vary - although as you are studying engineering you will most likely be in the same buildings (based in the northern quarter) as that's where the equipment is held. You will be able to use this equipment yourself too - you won't just be watching your academics use them. You won't get lost and soon you will know all of the buildings at the University!

The students union is good, I would recommend joining some societies as these are a great way to make friends with similar interests to you. We have a union bar which holds events - it doesn't turn into a night club at night as we have many clubs close by to go to instead. The union holds karaoke nights and quiz nights and on Wednesdays all of the societies go out- they start at the union and then head over to Popworld for the rest of the night.

For nightclubs Astoria is a firm favourite with our students, as is Tiger Tiger, Pryzm and Mr Miyagis. During Freshers' week you will go to all of these places (if that's what you are interested in). They all hold dedicated student nights and you will soon learn which ones you go to on which day.

Its a great city to live - obviously much smaller than Manchester but it still has that cosmopolitan feel, but you also have the beach aspect too. Most first year students tend to stay in the city centre, but I urge you to get a group of friends together and just walk around Southsea, down to the beach - look at the independent shops, cafe's and restaurants and visit some of the local bars and pubs. Portsmouth has some amazing food places and so many takeaway options!!

Let me know if you have any more questions - I hope this has helped you!

Alex - UoP Rep
mehdiabid810
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth)
Hi mehdiabid810

Sorry in advance for the long answer!

University is what you make it, if you just go to lectures and seminars and do minimal work then you aren't making the most out of it. With engineering you need a degree to be able to practice it - its the quickest route into the industry and therefore of course you will make your money's worth.

You can attend the lectures and seminars, make use of the library facilities or the open access areas (where you can rent laptops). In fact you could keep your halls room solely for relaxing and just use all of the university facilities to do your work.

Each faculty has a placements office, they will actively help you find a placement in your 2nd year so you can gain more knowledge and put into practice what you have learnt at University, improving your future job prospects even further.

You will get a personal tutor on your course who you can go to for anything, whether that be personal or University based.

You will have a faculty dedicated librarian who is an expert in finding you relevant and reliable research.

You can use our other facilities and services - for example if you struggle with maths you can go to our free maths cafe or if you want someone to check your work over/refine your writing skills you can go the the Academic Support Unit.

Those students who use all of the services available to them get a more full rounded experience at university - after all you are paying for it, why wouldn't you use them?

The University buildings vary - although as you are studying engineering you will most likely be in the same buildings (based in the northern quarter) as that's where the equipment is held. You will be able to use this equipment yourself too - you won't just be watching your academics use them. You won't get lost and soon you will know all of the buildings at the University!

The students union is good, I would recommend joining some societies as these are a great way to make friends with similar interests to you. We have a union bar which holds events - it doesn't turn into a night club at night as we have many clubs close by to go to instead. The union holds karaoke nights and quiz nights and on Wednesdays all of the societies go out- they start at the union and then head over to Popworld for the rest of the night.

For nightclubs Astoria is a firm favourite with our students, as is Tiger Tiger, Pryzm and Mr Miyagis. During Freshers' week you will go to all of these places (if that's what you are interested in). They all hold dedicated student nights and you will soon learn which ones you go to on which day.

Its a great city to live - obviously much smaller than Manchester but it still has that cosmopolitan feel, but you also have the beach aspect too. Most first year students tend to stay in the city centre, but I urge you to get a group of friends together and just walk around Southsea, down to the beach - look at the independent shops, cafe's and restaurants and visit some of the local bars and pubs. Portsmouth has some amazing food places and so many takeaway options!!

Let me know if you have any more questions - I hope this has helped you!

Alex - UoP Rep
Thank you so much for your help Alex, this has defo helped answer my questions and reduced my nerves. Really looking forward to be comming Portsmouth now!
Hope to see you soon,
Many thanks,
Mehdi
MusicGamer
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I'm a current second year student at the University of Portsmouth. If you had any additional questions, feel free to ask!
University of Portsmouth
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you so much for your help Alex, this has defo helped answer my questions and reduced my nerves. Really looking forward to be comming Portsmouth now!
Hope to see you soon,
Many thanks,
Mehdi
So glad I could help

See you soon!

Alex
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Jul '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.24%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.58%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.09%

Watched Threads