The Student Room Group

Missing class and feeling guilty.

Hi there, I was just hoping I could get another opinion on something.
I only have uni class two days a week, however those two days are 9 to 5 and involve two hours of travelling by bus. The days are Tuesday and Wednesday and by the time I get home on Tuesday night I can’t bare the thought of doing the travelling all over again. I’ve not missed class so far and the tutors do f**k all most of the time but if I was to cop out I’d feel guilty for the whole day.
I guess I’m asking if you think I really am copping out since two days should be like a holiday or if you think missing a day wouldn’t be a bad thing.
Thanks for any response. 👍🏼
Original post by Evanivich
Hi there, I was just hoping I could get another opinion on something.
I only have uni class two days a week, however those two days are 9 to 5 and involve two hours of travelling by bus. The days are Tuesday and Wednesday and by the time I get home on Tuesday night I can’t bare the thought of doing the travelling all over again. I’ve not missed class so far and the tutors do f**k all most of the time but if I was to cop out I’d feel guilty for the whole day.
I guess I’m asking if you think I really am copping out since two days should be like a holiday or if you think missing a day wouldn’t be a bad thing.
Thanks for any response. 👍🏼

what do you mean uni 'class'? do you mean lectures or tutorials/seminars?
Reply 2
Hey, it’s not compulsory and there is no registers that I know off. Most of the work can also be found online on some online board thing the uni uses. I guess the main thing troubling me is the fact that it’s only two days and I just wonder if I need to man up and get through the two and that’s it for another week. It’s just annoying because the travelling is so long and I get very little out of the day as the tutors just faff and talk about the last movie they watched, etc.
Reply 3
Original post by CollectiveSoul
what do you mean uni 'class'? do you mean lectures or tutorials/seminars?

Yea more lectures and tutorials, it’s very informal.
Reply 4
You’re exactly right, theres less than ten of us all together so it’s pretty noticeable when one of us is missing. In saying that there’s only about half of the class that usually turns up which is annoying aswell because they’re all local but you’re right aswell that the long distance thing is a s**t excuse.
Original post by Evanivich
You’re exactly right, theres less than ten of us all together so it’s pretty noticeable when one of us is missing. In saying that there’s only about half of the class that usually turns up which is annoying aswell because they’re all local but you’re right aswell that the long distance thing is a s**t excuse.

Read your student handbook to see if there is a minimum attendance requirement for your modules.

While skipping a lecture or two may be necessary due to illness etc., it's very easy to slip into the habit of doing it frequently -- I used to commute 2 hours one way to university and got to the point where I was using any little excuse not to make the journey. If you're someone who may start making it a habit to skip, it's just best not to start skipping in the first place.
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Read your student handbook to see if there is a minimum attendance requirement for your modules.

While skipping a lecture or two may be necessary due to illness etc., it's very easy to slip into the habit of doing it frequently -- I used to commute 2 hours one way to university and got to the point where I was using any little excuse not to make the journey. If you're someone who may start making it a habit to skip, it's just best not to start skipping in the first place.

Yea you might be right, I think I’m better off just sticking with it so as when those weeks do come where I’m ill or really don’t wanna make the journey, then I haven’t missed loads of class so it’s not too big a deal. Thanks for the response, glad to hear I’m not the only one mad enough to make a journey like that! 😂

Quick Reply

Latest