Uni and friends. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
This is my first year at uni and I have no friends. It’s not because I’m not outgoing because I am. It’s because my course makes me travel two hours away from home on class days which means I’ve made no new friends that live near me and all my previous friends have left for unis abroad.
The course also has very few people on it with most a lot older than me.
I don’t know what to do because I need a friend.
Any help very much appreciated. Thanks.
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This is my first year at uni and I have no friends. It’s not because I’m not outgoing because I am. It’s because my course makes me travel two hours away from home on class days which means I’ve made no new friends that live near me and all my previous friends have left for unis abroad.
The course also has very few people on it with most a lot older than me.
I don’t know what to do because I need a friend.
Any help very much appreciated. Thanks.
Do you have to have friends from Uni? If so what about those who are not from your course?

What about finding friends from closer to where you live?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ecolier)
Do you have to have friends from Uni? If so what about those who are not from your course?

What about finding friends from closer to where you live?
Because I’m travelling to a college that the uni coordinates with that is two hours away, I haven’t actually been on the main uni campus and can’t experience all the uni has to offer in terms of social life. And I’m just not sure how to go about making friends closer to me as at the minute I don’t have much else on the go.
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because I’m travelling to a college that the uni coordinates with that is two hours away, I haven’t actually been on the main uni campus and can’t experience all the uni has to offer in terms of social life. And I’m just not sure how to go about making friends closer to me as at the minute I don’t have much else on the go.
What about Uni societies? Even if you are in a satellite campus there must be official Uni societies you can join.

Have you tried turning up to the main Uni socials? If you live in accommodation what about those who live near you?
Anonymous #1
What about Uni societies? Even if you are in a satellite campus there must be official Uni societies you can join.

Have you tried turning up to the main Uni socials? If you live in accommodation what about those who live near you?
I live at home and every single society I would’ve tried is either on a Tuesday or Wednesday night, the two nights I’m sat on a bus back from class. I’m also quite an anxious guy so I don’t think turning up solo in a student bar would work too well.
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I live at home and every single society I would’ve tried is either on a Tuesday or Wednesday night, the two nights I’m sat on a bus back from class. I’m also quite an anxious guy so I don’t think turning up solo in a student bar would work too well.
That's unbelievable?! No society have events on a Friday / Saturday night?

And what about visiting your school friends / asking your school friends to visit?
Anonymous #1
That's unbelievable?! No society have events on a Friday / Saturday night?

And what about visiting your school friends / asking your school friends to visit?
Some of the societies will go out to bars at the weekend I think, but having not gone to the actual weekly stuff I’m not sure if that would work either. No one has kept in contact with me since we all split so I doubt I’d have much luck visiting randomly.
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
...No one has kept in contact with me since we all split so I doubt I’d have much luck visiting randomly.
Well perhaps don't rely on the other people contacting you - go and reach out to them! Who knows, they may just invite you to events?
Anonymous #1
Well perhaps don't rely on the other people contacting you - go and reach out to them! Who knows, they may just invite you to events?
You’re right I’ll ping off a few messages and see if anything comes from it, I just feel like I’m always the one starting the contact. Whatever the case I appreciate you taking the time to help, thanks. Take it easy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (127)
17.84%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.11%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.28%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.47%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (217)
30.48%

Watched Threads