Should I bother with Uni? Watch

arjanvirdi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've applied, and got an offer, accepted it. But now my thoughts have changed, as I don't think I will be able to cope with the amount of revision and studying, I don't believe I will pass, or I might end up with a bad degree, as I struggle to revise. I was thinking about apprenticeships, to keep applying til I get one instead of university. Do you think I should do that?
Re-posted here
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8#post81972538
Last edited by arjanvirdi; 4 weeks ago
arjanvirdi
Rep:
?
I've applied, and got an offer, accepted it. But now my thoughts have changed, as I don't think I will be able to cope with the amount of revision and studying, I don't believe I will pass, or I might end up with a bad degree, as I struggle to revise. I was thinking about apprenticeships, to keep applying til I get one instead of university. Do you think I should do that?
Jasminekouphou14
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What did you apply for ?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
nightisdark
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Firstly, wait and see what grades you get at A Level. That'll give you a better perspective on what you want to do. I really would recommend exploring ALL options before you make a decision on what you want to do - your opinion might change between now and August.
arjanvirdi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jasminekouphou14)
What did you apply for ?
Computer Networks

(Original post by nightisdark)
Firstly, wait and see what grades you get at A Level. That'll give you a better perspective on what you want to do. I really would recommend exploring ALL options before you make a decision on what you want to do - your opinion might change between now and August.
Okay. Is it okay that I've already accepted the offer?
Lucy Moo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My subjective opinion, got a degree and a masters - Yes, you should bother with uni if you:
1) want a few years of partying and/or not sure what you want to do/not ready for anything serious in your life yet
2) decided on a career that will require having a particular degree - have a look at some jobs you might be interested in, and whether a degree is nevessary
3) you are looking to start off with some sort of a graduate scheme in the future, and a degree might prove useful

No, you shouldn’t bother with uni if:
1) everything else

Unless something you decide to do will actually require a degree, you don’t need it. An apprenticeship is a better choice by far as it will give you actual skills. The issue here is you might not know at this point whether you will need a degree for something you decide to do in the future, but either way if down the line, after exploring some job opportunities, you decide you want/need one, you will still be able to get one, even while working, and you will most likely pick a course that complements what you actually want to do in your life - not something you randomly picked at the age of 17.
arjanvirdi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucy Moo)
My subjective opinion, got a degree and a masters - Yes, you should bother with uni if you:
1) want a few years of partying and/or not sure what you want to do/not ready for anything serious in your life yet
2) decided on a career that will require having a particular degree - have a look at some jobs you might be interested in, and whether a degree is nevessary
3) you are looking to start off with some sort of a graduate scheme in the future, and a degree might prove useful

No, you shouldn’t bother with uni if:
1) everything else

Unless something you decide to do will actually require a degree, you don’t need it. An apprenticeship is a better choice by far as it will give you actual skills. The issue here is you might not know at this point whether you will need a degree for something you decide to do in the future, but either way if down the line, after exploring some job opportunities, you decide you want/need one, you will still be able to get one, even while working, and you will most likely pick a course that complements what you actually want to do in your life - not something you randomly picked at the age of 17.
Most jobs in this field don't require a degree, just some qualifications. A few require a degree. The degree covers those major networking qualifications, as does most of the networking apprenticeships. I don't mind pursuing this career, as it's something that I enjoy. However, I don't think I'll be able to study good enough for a university degree in this.
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by arjanvirdi)
It's hard for anyone to make a decision for you. Ultimately this is your choice.

What makes you think you'll struggle to revise? Have you always struggled with academic study?

Apprenticeships are a very good choice in my opinion, and I would have done one myself if I had all of the information to me when I was 17/18 rather than going into a degree.

You could always take a gap year, and then decide?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (162)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (86)
9.89%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (145)
16.67%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (125)
14.37%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (84)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (268)
30.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise