The Student Room Group

is ncs worth it?

ive been thinking about doing it but im not sure if i should. some people say that its a waste of time and others say its the best experience ever.
Reply 1
personally I thought it was a great experience and I actually recommend it to anyone,
Reply 2
Original post by ANJXLA
personally I thought it was a great experience and I actually recommend it to anyone,

thank you!! Why do u recommend it?
Yes!! It was such a good experience. Like don't get me wrong there were some big difference from the adverts XD. The best week was week 1 where you're doing outdoor activities but I don't know about anyone else but we never really experienced anything like abseiling, any water based activities, archery or anything that was advertised. It was just things like hiking, group activities to learn more about each other, heights based activities like Jacob's ladder and that's more or less it.

And as for week 2, that's where the group you chose based on the activity you like will make the most difference in what you do but you don't really learn any skills like what we had originally been taught. I had originally chosen music but had been put in the sports group but the only difference that made was that when we volunteered with the elderly we had to make games that would keep them active and that was about it for the sports element.

But weirdly I had so much fun and I'm not even just saying that. I used to be so quiet but it forced me to go outside of my comfort zone and speak to people I probably wouldn't have spoken to before and made me realise speaking isn't so difficult. I learnt so many skills and made friends I still speak to now. I didn't have any fault with the accommodation and I remember being terrified of sharing a room with strangers but in all honesty going back to the bedroom and chatting were some of my favourite moments. There were definitely some low points but it was so much fun that if I could go back I would. You have such a long holiday that it is worth going even just to make sure you don't waste it all staying inside.

Even now so long after I had such a massive shift in my personality that I remember people instantly noticing how much more outgoing I now am.

It gives you something to put on your CV and will boost your personal statement. Just go!!
Reply 4
Original post by kurryyyy
thank you!! Why do u recommend it?

Basically why the person down below recommended it, I just made so many new friends and I'm still really good friends with the people I met there. I didn't put it on my personal statement but it does help your cv in terms of the 3rd and 4th week when you do your social action project

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending