The Student Room Group

Going away during term time

Hello,

I'm new here, I'm in my first year of Uni after doing a foundation year at the same university too last year.

I do Film and theatre studies, as a joint honours student the class sizes are fairly small, so there's only 9 of us in some of my sessions.

I've run into a bit of an issue that I'm not sure what to do, I work as a health advocate across Europe and have done so for around two years being a national advocate before that and am required to attend a conference abroad in a couple of weeks time. The conference is 5 days and I'd be missing 2 lectures which is 8 hours of teaching. (two of the days are a weekend)

I'm already worried that I'll be missing too much particularly from one of my lectures which is practical theatre and group work that I can't catch up on by just reading myself, I've had to miss one of these lectures already due to a medical emergency so I'm not sure what to do for the best.

Has anyone else ever missed practical group work? Do you think it's possible to still get a good grade out of it in the end? I'm just aware that there are only 9 people in my class so my absence will be noticed but I feel a duty to the conference too because it's what I do the whole of the time I'm not in lectures. It's the first time it's crossed over before so it's a bit of a challenge choosing between the two.
Original post by DreamingWonder
Hello,

I'm new here, I'm in my first year of Uni after doing a foundation year at the same university too last year.

I do Film and theatre studies, as a joint honours student the class sizes are fairly small, so there's only 9 of us in some of my sessions.

I've run into a bit of an issue that I'm not sure what to do, I work as a health advocate across Europe and have done so for around two years being a national advocate before that and am required to attend a conference abroad in a couple of weeks time. The conference is 5 days and I'd be missing 2 lectures which is 8 hours of teaching. (two of the days are a weekend)

I'm already worried that I'll be missing too much particularly from one of my lectures which is practical theatre and group work that I can't catch up on by just reading myself, I've had to miss one of these lectures already due to a medical emergency so I'm not sure what to do for the best.

Has anyone else ever missed practical group work? Do you think it's possible to still get a good grade out of it in the end? I'm just aware that there are only 9 people in my class so my absence will be noticed but I feel a duty to the conference too because it's what I do the whole of the time I'm not in lectures. It's the first time it's crossed over before so it's a bit of a challenge choosing between the two.

You should probably let your course organiser and your departmental office know about your absence. You are potentially screwing over your group by being absent, so letting the course organiser know means perhaps some discretion can be exercised.

I've done uni group work where some of my group members have just straight up not turned up for whatever reason without letting anyone know. Everyone else ends up doing some extra work to ensure the overall group project grade does not suffer too much. It'll probably depend on how good your group is.

Quick Reply

Latest