Tanyabarry17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone, would appreciate advice about my Cambridge offer. I recieved a reasonably good offer of A*AA (I can get the a* in anything) for history, and of course Cambridge would be an amazing place to study but I’m starting to have real doubts. My mental health has been really struggling with a levels and I’m feeling so overwhelmed with the workload. Right now I’m probably doing 8 hours a day of work. I was so happy when I got the offer at first but now that I’ve been watching YouTube videos of people there, reading articles about the mental health rates there I’ve been having second thoughts. I love York uni as the course is so flexible and I feel it’d be better for my mental hea;th/ stress level (they do exams at the end of each module unlike Cambridge ) I was wondering, anyone who turned down Oxbridge, did you regret it afterwards? Also if anyone does history at Cambs how do you find the workload? Is the uni experience unsociable/ are you overworked? Would appreciate any advice, thank you!!
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tanyabarry17)
Hi everyone, would appreciate advice about my Cambridge offer. I recieved a reasonably good offer of A*AA (I can get the a* in anything) for history, and of course Cambridge would be an amazing place to study but I’m starting to have real doubts. My mental health has been really struggling with a levels and I’m feeling so overwhelmed with the workload. Right now I’m probably doing 8 hours a day of work. I was so happy when I got the offer at first but now that I’ve been watching YouTube videos of people there, reading articles about the mental health rates there I’ve been having second thoughts. I love York uni as the course is so flexible and I feel it’d be better for my mental hea;th/ stress level (they do exams at the end of each module unlike Cambridge ) I was wondering, anyone who turned down Oxbridge, did you regret it afterwards? Also if anyone does history at Cambs how do you find the workload? Is the uni experience unsociable/ are you overworked? Would appreciate any advice, thank you!!
If you prefer the course at York then Firm York.

However I'm tagging a couple of people (and check this forum for similar threads...)

04MR17SteamboatMickey
ParentSaraG
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tanyabarry17)
Hi Tanyabarry17! It’s really brave and mature of you to post about this!

I have worked in schools and my daughter is now in her second year at her Cambridge college.

Are you talking to a teacher at school about your feelings? It’s vital that you are able to do this. They probably know you best and can really support you well in this context.

My daughter has school friends who have been through this and are now doing well at Cambridge. They have support if they need it and have learned ‘coping techniques’ for key moments, including asking for the support of Staff and of friends. They were helped a lot by their school and their independent Counsellor.

She has also known others who were fine at school but then needed a break from Cambridge at some point, again supported by Staff and Counsellors.

Such a situation is much more common than students may realise. It’s possible to come through it.

It’s important that you are talking to someone who is able to support you, whichever offer you eventually firm up. … Cambridge can be particularly challenging for some students but so can other universities. Sadly, what you fear can happen at any university.

Look after yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (144)
30%
No (336)
70%

Watched Threads