alevelhelpxoxo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can anyone help me with this question?

molecular formulae C8H10 has 4 possible structural isomers that contain a benzene ring. Name them :

1) ethylbenzene
2) 1,2 dimethylbenzene
3) 1,4 dimethylbenzene
4) however I don't get how another isomer is 1,3 dimethylbenzene since CH3 is an activator group ( 2, 4) so how is it possible it ended up in position 3 ??

also part b of this question
- In the presence of concentrated nitric and sulfuric acid, one of the isomers reacts to give one mononitrated compound. Identify which isomer it is and name the compound formed

again I don't understand the basis of trisubstituition because my book has nothing on it any help will be greatly appreciated !
ThatGuy107
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alevelhelpxoxo)
Can anyone help me with this question?

molecular formulae C8H10 has 4 possible structural isomers that contain a benzene ring. Name them :

1) ethylbenzene
2) 1,2 dimethylbenzene
3) 1,4 dimethylbenzene
4) however I don't get how another isomer is 1,3 dimethylbenzene since CH3 is an activator group ( 2, 4) so how is it possible it ended up in position 3 ??

also part b of this question
- In the presence of concentrated nitric and sulfuric acid, one of the isomers reacts to give one mononitrated compound. Identify which isomer it is and name the compound formed

again I don't understand the basis of trisubstituition because my book has nothing on it any help will be greatly appreciated !
Benzene has 3 different structural isomers (1,3 1,4 and 1,2). The electrophile can end up in any of these positions there’s no discrimination between which.

b) conc H2SO4 and conc HNO3 react to produce
NO2 (the nitronium ion) which can then attack
the benzene ring
Hope this helps
Last edited by ThatGuy107; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (9)
6.16%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (25)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.38%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
28.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (26)
17.81%

Watched Threads