Questions about Art at University

Watch
Ichiblaire
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I'm still in Year 12, I take 3 creative subjects (Art, Textiles, Photography) and the whole year group has been told to start looking at what universities they plan on going to. So far I'm considering Staffordshire and De Montfort for Game Art/Character Design. The universities have nothing to do with the questions I'm going to ask, those are just my considerations.

If you do take art in university (depending which course), will you get taught basics such as how to draw a face, hair, body proportions, etc.? Or do you have to try teach it to yourself? I know how to draw the face, but my proportions are quite rusty.

Is it better to take an art Foundation first or go straight into the course?
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RukiaStudies)
So I'm still in Year 12, I take 3 creative subjects (Art, Textiles, Photography) and the whole year group has been told to start looking at what universities they plan on going to. So far I'm considering Staffordshire and De Montfort for Game Art/Character Design. The universities have nothing to do with the questions I'm going to ask, those are just my considerations.

If you do take art in university (depending which course), will you get taught basics such as how to draw a face, hair, body proportions, etc.? Or do you have to try teach it to yourself? I know how to draw the face, but my proportions are quite rusty.

Is it better to take an art Foundation first or go straight into the course?
Hi RukiaStudies

It's great to hear you're considering Games Art at Staffs. Would you like me to put these questions to the course leader for his opinion?

Thanks

Amy
Ichiblaire
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Staffordshire University)
Hi RukiaStudies

It's great to hear you're considering Games Art at Staffs. Would you like me to put these questions to the course leader for his opinion?

Thanks

Amy
Please do.
RBudzinska
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I’d say if you wanted a firmer chance of getting in, I’d take art foundation. I’m a year 13 student but I’m taking the foundation so as to strengthen my portfolio!
Plymouth College Of Art
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi there!

I'd agree with RBudzinska in that you'd probably have a firmer chance of getting into a course after an art foundation because your portfolio would be better and you'd have more time to build the skills. However, a lot of university courses will cover the basics of the subject within the first module, semester or year of the course, so it would be best to look at the course break down of each university you are looking at. If you're still unsure, I'd definitely contact the universities that you're looking at and ask their advice on the matter. Here at Plymouth College of Art, we like to make sure those looking to study with us have that kind of information made available to them on our website; for example, the breakdown for our BA(Hons) Game Arts course can be found here.

In alternative to a Foundation course which would be generalised in the disciplines that it covers, you could look to do a Pre-Degree course or Extended Degree, which is something we offer here at PCA. It allows students who know which area they want to work in have an extra year studying that subject area before they join the course itself. If you'd like to know more about Pre-Degree courses you can find that out here, and Extended Degree information can be found here.

My advice in consideration between these options would be if you are certain on your area of study, then an Extended Degree or specific Pre-Degree course would be better for you but if you're still not 100%, go for a more generalised course which keeps your options open and allows you to explore more mediums and have a better understanding of yourself and art in general. However, there is nothing stopping you from applying and going to university without undertaking more study, it is definitely up to you and what you feel would be right for you.

I did a Foundation Diploma before starting my degree, so if you'd like more information about that, about choosing what is right for you or if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

I hope this helped,
Harriet
Second Year BA(Hons) Photography Student and Student Ambassador at Plymouth College of Art
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RukiaStudies)
Please do.
Hi RukiaStudies

Sorry it's taken us a while to get back to you. I've just heard back from the course leader:

"Yes we teach you how to draw, both in terms of structured drawing and from life/observation. These are quite different and use different approaches in constructing the human body. We do have focused sessions on hair, hands, and portraiture.

You don’t necessarily have to have an art foundation but we would like to see a good portfolio of traditional artwork, observational drawing and life drawing. An art foundation can definitely help with this. It will also help you understand a lot of theory. Including composition and colour theory."

I hope that all helps

Please give me a shout if we can help with anything else

Thanks

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.8%
Note taking apps (7)
1.87%
Flashcards (86)
22.93%
Revision guides (19)
5.07%
Past papers (171)
45.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (14)
3.73%

Watched Threads