Members of group project not engaging, advice?

Watch
ABCM
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So, I have a presentation to do in 3 weeks that is worth 20% of my grade for that module (Quantitative Research)

We have to do it as part of a group, a group of 4. I was wondering if people could give advice on when I should become concerned about the non-participation of my group members, and if or when I should act on it.

To give a bit of context, as well as lectures we also have a weekly tutorial for that class where we will do the presentation. Also, the three people I am with are strangers to me, they are doing a different degree to me, we just share this module. We had to pull numbers out of a hat to be assigned to our groups and we have to sit as a group, and work together in each of out tutorials.

Initially we were only a group of three. We made a WhatsApp group in the first tutorial. The 2nd tutorial one of the group members was missing, the 3rd tutorial both other members weren’t in class. A person who hadn’t attended the tutorials up until this point was then added to our group by our TA.

I put a message on our WhatsApp group yesterday afternoon suggesting we should meet briefly in the next two weeks to organise how we will do the presentation and divide the work and then come back together the week of the presentation and do work on it then.

We have classes next week, However the week after that is our reading week/midterm(so no classes), then it’s the week of our presentation which is on the Thursday morning.

The other members haven’t replied to my message.

So, what are people’s advice and suggestions on how I should proceed?

My current plan is to not say anything for now and if my other group members are at the tutorial tomorrow (Thursday) I will mention organising meeting up briefly to do a plan in the next two weeks. Otherwise I will message on WhatsApp again on Monday. If they still don’t engage, I will ask in the group is there a way other then WhatsApp they would prefer to be contacted. I feel if they don’t engage then I probably should escalate my response. The 3 others are doing a degree where they start work placement after reading week so that might affect things too.

Thoughts?
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If they start placement will they be there for the presentation?

It's up to you but at a point when you're done you need to either do the presentation yourself (and deliver it alone) or tell your lecturer.
ABCM
Rep:
?
(Original post by doodle_333)
If they start placement will they be there for the presentation?

It's up to you but at a point when you're done you need to either do the presentation yourself (and deliver it alone) or tell your lecturer.
They still have to do this module and other modules regardless if they are on placement or not. As in they are supposed to still attend the classes and do the exam etc. for this module. They just have half of their modules replaced with a work placement module after reading week. So less contact hours on campus so they can do their placement at the same time.
bumble12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’d speak to your tutor or lecture. Make sure that what you have said you’ll do (in terms of the PowerPoint) is done. So you can nail it on the day.
You’ve tried to engage them, they haven’t responded. Speak to them in person and see what they say, but make sure your back is covered in terms of work
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ABCM)
They still have to do this module and other modules regardless if they are on placement or not. As in they are supposed to still attend the classes and do the exam etc. for this module. They just have half of their modules replaced with a work placement module after reading week. So less contact hours on campus so they can do their placement at the same time.
Ok.... But I guess they'll be around less so it will be harder to arrange to meet if they don't show to lectures. Speak to your tutor and just ask what you should do if you literally cannot contact anyone in your group.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ABCM)
So, I have a presentation to do in 3 weeks that is worth 20% of my grade for that module (Quantitative Research)

We have to do it as part of a group, a group of 4. I was wondering if people could give advice on when I should become concerned about the non-participation of my group members, and if or when I should act on it.

To give a bit of context, as well as lectures we also have a weekly tutorial for that class where we will do the presentation. Also, the three people I am with are strangers to me, they are doing a different degree to me, we just share this module. We had to pull numbers out of a hat to be assigned to our groups and we have to sit as a group, and work together in each of out tutorials.

Initially we were only a group of three. We made a WhatsApp group in the first tutorial. The 2nd tutorial one of the group members was missing, the 3rd tutorial both other members weren’t in class. A person who hadn’t attended the tutorials up until this point was then added to our group by our TA.

I put a message on our WhatsApp group yesterday afternoon suggesting we should meet briefly in the next two weeks to organise how we will do the presentation and divide the work and then come back together the week of the presentation and do work on it then.

We have classes next week, However the week after that is our reading week/midterm(so no classes), then it’s the week of our presentation which is on the Thursday morning.

The other members haven’t replied to my message.

So, what are people’s advice and suggestions on how I should proceed?

My current plan is to not say anything for now and if my other group members are at the tutorial tomorrow (Thursday) I will mention organising meeting up briefly to do a plan in the next two weeks. Otherwise I will message on WhatsApp again on Monday. If they still don’t engage, I will ask in the group is there a way other then WhatsApp they would prefer to be contacted. I feel if they don’t engage then I probably should escalate my response. The 3 others are doing a degree where they start work placement after reading week so that might affect things too.

Thoughts?
Non-attendance at tutorials and lack of communication is never a good sign, especially from the get-go. I think you need to let your lecturer/TA know about your group's suspected lack of engagement at the earliest opportunity, and keep them informed of any (or lack of) developments. That way you have a record of what you have done and what they haven't done to cover yourself, particularly if your presentation results in a group mark rather than being marked individually.

Be polite but firm in your messages for now on. It might be a good idea to actually assign tasks/roles yourself now; tell them what they're expected to do, rather than waiting for them to decide. You're taking the initiative, and if they don't like it, they can contact you to change it.

If you still don't get any response, simply carry on with your portion of the work (they are adults after all and should be able to do the work without constant mithering), and then message them again warning them that your portion is done. If you are the one to put the presentation together, leave blank slides as placeholders for their contributions and add "This slide was meant to be done by student X" if they don't send the content to you.
ABCM
Rep:
?
Thanks all for your input. I think what I'll do for now is see if people show up to my tutorial tomorrow and if they don't I will mention it to my TA that there may be problems with my group. But not in a snitch kind of way but that there may be concerns kind of way. Then at least she would be aware that there may be a issue.

As far as I am aware we are not being individually marked. If the presentation is graded 50%, we all get 50%, but you only get the 50% if you show up as part of the group that does the presentation. If I talk to her tomorrow about my group I will clarify the situation with her though.
scorpion95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would see if they are in the class tomorrow, if not then let your lecturer know that there is a problem with the group that you're in. Tell the lecturer that you have tried contacting them but to no avail. I would suggest you get your part of the presentation done and if you have time maybe try to do the rest yourself so that you can up your chances of getting a better grade even though your group not involved.

The lecturer might put you into another group if it has to be done as a group but they might let you do the presentation on your own.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (717)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (908)
42.85%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (401)
18.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.39%

Watched Threads