Begum no longer British - Are UK muslims concerned it could happen to them?? Watch

Chakede
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
After Sajid Javed revoked Shamima Begums passport, are other uk born muslims concerned that, following a criminal offense such as sympathising with islamist causes, they could also be forced to go to for example, Pakistan, Somalia, afganistan Bangladesh etc
celina10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
no I'm a law abiding citizen so I'm not and good she deserves it
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Chakede)
After Sajid Javed revoked Shamima Begums passport, are other uk born muslims concerned that, following a criminal offense such as sympathising with islamist causes, they could also be forced to go to for example, Pakistan, Somalia, afganistan Bangladesh etc
They shouldn't be. Good **** stirring question though.

The circumstances in this lady's case are quite rare.

Also, she is allowed to challenge the decision legally - we have to await the eventual final outcome of her case.
Last edited by ecolier; 3 weeks ago
Fekky.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well im a Muslim myself and I fully agree that if you are a terrorist or sympathetic to their causes you should get out of our country. So no, not worried at all.
DeetsGuy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sh*t stirring indeed. There is no plausibility in this. This is a first and has not set a precedent unless any UK muslims plan on joining terrorist organisations - which is not the norm.

Perhaps if you'd asked, "are UK radicals who have joined terrorist organisations and plan on returning to the UK scared?", it would have been better.
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yes, concerned about the legality and surprisingly neglect towards bias.

what people seem to forget is the likelihood of coercion. to be named stateless without concrete proof that she isn't being manipulated to symphatise with ISIS. also grooming and brainwashing is a feature here.

hope this decision makers can live with their decision, should anything awful happen to this girl.
Chakede
Rep:
?
(Original post by DeetsGuy)
Sh*t stirring indeed. There is no plausibility in this. This is a first and has not set a precedent unless any UK muslims plan on joining terrorist organisations - which is not the norm.

Perhaps if you'd asked, "are UK radicals who have joined terrorist organisations and plan on returning to the UK scared?", it would have been better.
the question is valid- what seems to be is your limited understanding of uk law. under legislation that came in under tony blair actually, if your parents held say, Pakistani passports and you committed a sympathy for terrorist group- type offense from your uk bedroom, you could suffer the same fate as Begum.
its amazing so many people are ignorant of the uk law and surprised when a case like this comes to fruition
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Top b8
DeetsGuy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by gr8wizard10)

what people seem to forget is the likelihood of coercion. to be named stateless without concrete proof that she isn't being manipulated to symphatise with ISIS. also grooming and brainwashing is a feature here.

hope this decision makers can live with their decision, should anything awful happen to this girl.
If brainwashing, grooming and coercion was taken into consideration in affairs such as these, where would it stop? Would a murdered be allowed to walk free because his poor childhood might've turned him into a murdered so it can't be his fault?

She made her own choices. If she was brainwashed, it's because she was submissive to radical ideas - no sympathy. People have been tried as adults when they're 15. She went to Syria of her own free will and against her parents' issues.

The only sympathy I have is for the newborn which did not choose its mother and has been doomed too.
Paracosm
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Someone who was actively a member of a terrorist organisation is not simply a 'muslim', she was and remains sympathetic towards a terrorist ideology that has been directly responsible for thousands of murders in the name of their regime. Many muslims would go further to argue that ISIL/ISIS/whatever don't represent their religion and doing it in the name of religion does not acquit them of responsibility for their actions.

She was not stripped of her citizenship for being a supporter of 'islamist causes', don't oversimplify a serious issue or be so eager to display your clear and inherent bias. She was stripped of her citizenship for showing support of and being a member of a terrorist organisation, which is against the law in this country.

I say this regardless of what I think about the actual stripping of her citizenship, simply because the question you have asked here is so unbelievably stupid.
Last edited by Paracosm; 3 weeks ago
amaraub
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
dont join isis guys and u should be fine
DeetsGuy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
the question is valid- what seems to be is your limited understanding of uk law. under legislation that came in under tony blair actually, if your parents held say, Pakistani passports and you committed a sympathy for terrorist group- type offense from your uk bedroom, you could suffer the same fate as Begum.
its amazing so many people are ignorant of the uk law and surprised when a case like this comes to fruition
Perhaps you should read into history and see what fear mongering messages like the one you've posted today can achieve. I am very much aware of UK law and although I struggled to read through your inarticulate message, you seem to be saying that "if your parents had Pakistani passports and you sympathised with terrorists, you could be stripped of your British Citizenship" - what is your point here? That is as swift and perfect as justice gets. Sympathising with terrorists should not and, hopefully, will not be tolerated.

Your claim that the question is "still valid" was invalidated by you changing your story. Initially you questioned if "UK Muslims" should be scared but then asked a question referring to "Terrorist Sympathisers whose parents hold Middle Eastern passports" and whether they should be scared.

To summarise: no UK muslims should not be scared. Yes, terrorist sympathisers (who you wrongly seem to be associating with Muslims) should be scared.
Ascend
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
to be named stateless without concrete proof that she isn't being manipulated to symphatise with ISIS.
She isn't stateless; a proud national of the Islamic State.
Moments
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Where is the threshold between manipulation and one's own decision? Is religion itself not a form of manipulation/brainwashing?
DeetsGuy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Paracosm)
Someone who was actively a member of a terrorist organisation is not simply a 'muslim', she was and remains sympathetic towards a terrorist ideology that has been directly responsible for thousands of murders in the name of their regime. Many muslims would go further to argue that what ISIL/ISIS/whatever don't represent their religion and doing it in the name of religion does not acquit them of responsibility for their actions.

She was not stripped of her citizenship for being a supporter of 'islamist causes', don't oversimplify a serious issue or be so eager to display your clear and inherent bias. She was stripped of her citizenship for showing support of and being a member of a terrorist organisation, which is against the law in this country.

I say this regardless of what I think about the actual stripping of her citizenship, simply because the question you have asked here is so unbelievably stupid.
Exactly that. OP seems to be trying to associate UK Muslims with Terrorist Sympathisers when truly, there is no correlation. I suggest you (OP) look within and question why this is.
Paracosm
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DeetsGuy)
Exactly that. OP seems to be trying to associate UK Muslims with Terrorist Sympathisers when truly, there is no correlation. I suggest you (OP) look within and question why this is.
We're completely agreed.
Decahedron
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
All British people should fear the government if they join a terrorist group, religion and nationality doesn't matter.
Chakede
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paracosm)
Someone who was actively a member of a terrorist organisation is not simply a 'muslim', she was and remains sympathetic towards a terrorist ideology that has been directly responsible for thousands of murders in the name of their regime. Many muslims would go further to argue that ISIL/ISIS/whatever don't represent their religion and doing it in the name of religion does not acquit them of responsibility for their actions.

Try reading the question - I gave the example of sympathising with islamist ( banned ) groups which is a criminal offense. Doing so whether via online chat forums is a criminal offense just so you know- and in fact was a direct cause for numerous british muslims being indoctrinated to go abroad to commit atrocities.

If you understood the law you wouldn't be quibbling about examples used- the law can also apply to other serious criminals ( murders rapists) of any faith group ) that can practically be stripped of uk citizenship, as it was for some Jamaican born brits a few months ago
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
My impression is you are just stirring The Begum case is by no means settled and will be subject to appeal. This will help them establish the facts and whether Javid can revoke in those given circumstances. It is questionable whether he can.
The vast majority of muslims are law abiding, so they would have no reason to worry.
Paracosm
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Try reading the question - I gave the example of sympathising with islamist ( banned ) groups which is a criminal offense. Doing so whether via online chat forums is a criminal offense just so you know- and in fact was a direct cause for numerous british muslims being indoctrinated to go abroad to commit atrocities.

If you understood the law you wouldn't be quibbling about examples used- the law can also apply to other serious criminals ( murders rapists) of any faith group ) that can practically be stripped of uk citizenship, as it was for some Jamaican born brits a few months ago
The solution is quite simple. Don't break the law and don't sympathise with terrorists or join terrorist groups.

Shouldn't be too hard. Super simple stuff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.61%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.49%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (35)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.3%
How can I be the best version of myself? (73)
29.92%

Watched Threads