The Student Room Group

Best way to transition to night shift?

So at waitrose I have my first ever night shift work coming up, I am full time flexible so compared to alot of people the change wont be to drastic, but on Friday and Saturday night I will be working 9 PM - 6 AM, for somebody who has never done night shifts before, what advice do you have?

On the Thursday I finish at 10 PM, which is quite fortunate, and my plan of action is to stay up for as long as possible, hopefully sleep till like 3 PM on the Friday, relax for a few hours and then go to work, I have the Sunday off, but I am back on Monday doing a 9 AM - 6:30 PM shift, so aswell as getting used to night shift, what's the best advice when getting thrown back into day shifts.

I have always thought about doing night shifts, but only every few weeks as its extra pay and sometimes it's nice just to work in silence, well I think it is anyways, I'll be playing music for a majority of it, there is currently only 2 of us doing it, could also be doing anything from Cleaning to replenishment to just ripping things of shelves etc.
Your plan seems more or less what I do; since it's a fairly late starting night shift, you could theoretically (depending perhaps on commute times) go to bed at a relatively normal time, get up very early in the morning, then take an extended nap in the afternoon. I know a lot of people at my work do that, so they can do stuff in the day still (although equally, a lot of them take naps on the nights anyway...).

I'd recommend sticking to your plan for the first one, and see how well it works, although ideally try and sleep as late as possible into the afternoon. It's harder to sleep in the day though, so you may well end up waking up in the middle at some point - that's fine, just try and get back to sleep again (don't feel like you need to stay awake once you get up). Usually my sleep while on nights is a bit interrupted and fragmented. Also bringing in some caffeinated drink(s) (e.g. coffee, tea, soda-type soft drinks) would probably be a good idea, as this helps you stay up (especially if you didn't sleep as well as you would've hoped in the day).

For going back to the days, it's usually just a case of forcing yourself to get up around noon-1ish, spending the afternoon/early evening in zombie mode, then going to sleep sometime after 6-7pm. You'll probably sleep through then, and be able to get up on time the next day. The day going from nights to days (whether you're working the days or off and just want to adjust your sleep pattern) is almost always a write-off, so don't plan to get anything done that day.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Your plan seems more or less what I do; since it's a fairly late starting night shift, you could theoretically (depending perhaps on commute times) go to bed at a relatively normal time, get up very early in the morning, then take an extended nap in the afternoon. I know a lot of people at my work do that, so they can do stuff in the day still (although equally, a lot of them take naps on the nights anyway...).

I'd recommend sticking to your plan for the first one, and see how well it works, although ideally try and sleep as late as possible into the afternoon. It's harder to sleep in the day though, so you may well end up waking up in the middle at some point - that's fine, just try and get back to sleep again (don't feel like you need to stay awake once you get up). Usually my sleep while on nights is a bit interrupted and fragmented. Also bringing in some caffeinated drink(s) (e.g. coffee, tea, soda-type soft drinks) would probably be a good idea, as this helps you stay up (especially if you didn't sleep as well as you would've hoped in the day).

For going back to the days, it's usually just a case of forcing yourself to get up around noon-1ish, spending the afternoon/early evening in zombie mode, then going to sleep sometime after 6-7pm. You'll probably sleep through then, and be able to get up on time the next day. The day going from nights to days (whether you're working the days or off and just want to adjust your sleep pattern) is almost always a write-off, so don't plan to get anything done that day.

I posted this on reddit at the time, obviously it was a few days ago now, but I felt fine doing it and didn't feel tired switching back to day shifts:
"Currently half way through my second shift and I am more than awake, because I am actually doing something I do not feel tired, I got in about 6:20 AM on Saturday, didn't really feel tired but just went to bed, slept till about 1 but woke up a few times between, anyways I will probably go to bed today about 7:30 AM, brought a sleeping mask to block out the sun, might set an alarm for 12 so I have had enough sleep, but will still feel tired enough to go to sleep later in the day."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending