should i get my breasts done on the nhs? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've lost a lot of weight and my boobs are very saggy. I have to wear maternity bras and I can't wear a lot of clothes because of this. I have enough savings to get a breast lift privately. My family and friends are convincing me to get them done on the nhs instead, despite the fact it will most likely involve waiting more than a year to get them done (that's if I get approved). I'm 21 and feel like I missed out on my teen years feeling very self-conscious about my appearance. I hate the thought of waiting so long to finally feel comfortable with myself.

Should I wait and see if I can get them done on the nhs or just pay for it myself and get them done sooner?
Cg1995
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Pay for them yourself. You cant put a price on your happiness
Neilos
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you can afford to pay for them yourself, do that.

No guarantees you'd pass through every NHS hoop anyway.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you have decided that you are definitely going to have cosmetic surgery, pay yourself.
Many NHS hospitals also have private wings, so there is a good chance that you would be able to have the surgery and also support the NHS as you spend the money.
It's great that you have been able to lose weight and save up!

You might want to consider talking to the NHS about alternative options to cosmetic surgery.
Just to be aware of all the options available to you.
Many private clinics do provide free initial consultations.
But they tend to focus on encouraging people to commit to specific surgery rather than discuss all possible options.
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've lost a lot of weight and my boobs are very saggy. I have to wear maternity bras and I can't wear a lot of clothes because of this. I have enough savings to get a breast lift privately. My family and friends are convincing me to get them done on the nhs instead, despite the fact it will most likely involve waiting more than a year to get them done (that's if I get approved). I'm 21 and feel like I missed out on my teen years feeling very self-conscious about my appearance. I hate the thought of waiting so long to finally feel comfortable with myself.

Should I wait and see if I can get them done on the nhs or just pay for it myself and get them done sooner?
I would have a talk with your GP to see if there's realistically any chance you will get accepted to have it done on the NHS and how long you would be waiting etc. You are probably best off going private if you want it done for the sake of time and it potentially being the only option anyway, but it's good to know your options and a chat with your GP should just help to clear things up. At the end of the day it's up to you and what your priorities are though so if you can have it done on the nhs and you would prefer to wait and keep the money that's totally fine. It's your body so do whatever makes most sense to you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kindred)
I would have a talk with your GP to see if there's realistically any chance you will get accepted to have it done on the NHS and how long you would be waiting etc. You are probably best off going private if you want it done for the sake of time and it potentially being the only option anyway, but it's good to know your options and a chat with your GP should just help to clear things up. At the end of the day it's up to you and what your priorities are though so if you can have it done on the nhs and you would prefer to wait and keep the money that's totally fine. It's your body so do whatever makes most sense to you.
Went to my GP about 2 years ago, went through the whole process of referrals etc and was rejected but I never appealed it. Moved areas so though I'd try again and see what happens. Was referred by my GP to a hospital and had my consultation. It's been a few months and I haven't heard anything back from them yet. Last time, I think it was 5/6 months before I found out I was rejected. The doctor told me this time that if I'm approved it would be a year or so wait. That's why I'm thinking if it's all worth it cause I already feel like I've waited long enough in the grand scheme of things.
-Eirlys-
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

If you can afford it, I think you should pay privately, purely because the NHS is strained enough as it is.
mpaprika
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Get them done privately, you have the money and you wouldn't be waiting on the nhs where women who have suffered through breast cancer and cannot afford them privately are waiting to get them
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I very much doubt that the NHS would even offer this, especially given that trusts are now cancelling cancer operations due to emergency pressure.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you feel like its worth the wait would suggest NHS, though your happiness is the most important thing

(ngl fully expected a bimbo wanting a breast enlargement surgery on the nhs by the title so was quite confused)
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Went to my GP about 2 years ago, went through the whole process of referrals etc and was rejected but I never appealed it. Moved areas so though I'd try again and see what happens. Was referred by my GP to a hospital and had my consultation. It's been a few months and I haven't heard anything back from them yet. Last time, I think it was 5/6 months before I found out I was rejected. The doctor told me this time that if I'm approved it would be a year or so wait. That's why I'm thinking if it's all worth it cause I already feel like I've waited long enough in the grand scheme of things.
If it feels worth it to you then it is. You've waited a long time already so I can definitely understand wanting to get things sorted finally. If you have the money to do it then it sounds like a decent idea.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
GraduateLynx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

NHS provides plastic surgery? Really?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by GraduateLynx)
In certain circumstances, yes. They mainly do breasts reductions which is a similar procedure to a breast lift. My boobs do have an unusual shape are on the bigger side which is why my GP agreed to refer me.
funk controller
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Unlikely youll get it, it takes many appointments with serious emotion until they agree to it. Ive tried to get gynaecomastia surgery covered by the nhs but after 5 years of GPs it never happened. Luckily Im on private health insurance now so I got referred to a private GP who prescribed medication (albeit not surgery, it is something Im happy with). The medication is dirt cheap but can only be obtained with a prescription, so I feel that if it took me 5 years and private health insurance to get this, its unlikely youll be getting cosmetic surgery any time soon.
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GraduateLynx)
Yes. Sometimes plastic surgery is actually a necessity to genuinely improve a patient's quality of life
Clarie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you ever considered private plastic surgery? I found it much cheaper when I had the surgery abroad. And generally my experience at Forme clinic was very good. I know you have to travel little but when you consider it it may be worth. I am happy with my new breasts and also glad I saved some money.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads