The Student Room Group

Is cramming a bad exam technique?

Everyone always says not to cram and to revise consistently throughout the year but that just doesn’t work for me. For example, the modules that I actually attended all the lectures for, did the reading and genuinely enjoyed I achieved 2:1s in the exams. On the other hand, the modules that I hated, skipped lectures for I managed to achieve two 1st grades. The difference was I taught myself all the content in great depth right before the exams. While it puts you under pressure, I feel like cramming can pay off in terms of achieving good grades if you can stay calm. This probably only works for me because I have a great short term memory, can understand concepts very easily and have good exam technique.
I don't think it's a bad thing, since it works for some people (myself included). My long term memory is pretty rubbish and I often only seem to get motivated shortly before my exams, so I find it easiest to revise fairly last minute. Revising in advance is probably the best option if you've got the right mind for it, but I haven't :tongue:
Reply 2
You see this highlights the flaw of exams.

There’s no such thing as “bad” technique for exams you do what it takes to pass with as many marks as possible. They’re a memory test and if your strength is your memory then you cram away.
The revision technique depends on the person, since everyone is different in terms of how they revise there's no "perfect" way to revise.

Imo, I think it depends on how much you need to learn for your course and how much content is in each module (also taking into account when your exams are, and putting the first exams as your priority then moving onto the next module when you're confident on that module).
Reply 4
Original post by byeongkwans
Everyone always says not to cram and to revise consistently throughout the year but that just doesn’t work for me. For example, the modules that I actually attended all the lectures for, did the reading and genuinely enjoyed I achieved 2:1s in the exams. On the other hand, the modules that I hated, skipped lectures for I managed to achieve two 1st grades. The difference was I taught myself all the content in great depth right before the exams. While it puts you under pressure, I feel like cramming can pay off in terms of achieving good grades if you can stay calm. This probably only works for me because I have a great short term memory, can understand concepts very easily and have good exam technique.

yes. clearly if it works for you then carry on using it ! Revision is about finding a method of learning that works for you.

Quick Reply