EPQ: Is Social Media to blame for the high rates of suicide in men?

Watch this thread
TashaaLouisee13
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I understand that it is a sensitive topic to base my EPQ on, however I would like to know your opinion on it. If you have any experiences you feel comfortable with sharing, I am happy to listen and with your permission, I'd like to add it into my essay.

Any opinions are important and acceptable. Feel free to say anything you would like to, I'm open to anything.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
DeathTheSister
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Suicide rates are a form of quantitative data. By seeing figures of male suicide rates, it does not indicate whether social media is the main cause of male suicide. Since you simply can't question the person for committing the act, actually claiming that the reason for males to commit suicide is solely on social media is kinda incorrect. Sure, there might be evidence to indicate that social media could influence it, like how social media has led to an increase in individuals diagnosed with depression and anxiety. However, other factors, like burden on school work and the pressures of a changing economy, would certainly influence reasons why males have a high suicide rate, compared to females.

There are a lot of reasons why suicide rates are high in males. For example, females are more likely to 'tend and befriend' whenever facing problems, which could indicate why female suicide rates are lower than males since they could build an emotional support network. There are other factors to include as well, like are male suicide rates higher in developing countries? Would social class be affecting the suicide rate as well? Basically, there are multiple reasons why suicide rate for men are high and by simply stating that social media causes high male suicide rates is too deterministic.
TashaaLouisee13
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you for your post.

In my EPQ Essay, I have not only talked about the influence of social media, but the influence of the society in the ways of television, work, divorce and the economy. It was just my essay title, which has allowed me to debate on whether or not social media may be a blame/factor. I have explored the social, economic and yes, political reasons which may have lead to male suicide, as well as the common personal situation and the most common ages and why these ages are so common.

My EPQ is not just to blame social media, hence why I was asking for opinions. It was a springboard for me to debate whether or not it could be a significant factor in suicide or if the many other reasons are more significant. It isn't a claim that men commit suicide due to social media, but a way to speak about how many things affect the men of 2019. Not only have I been extremely careful to write my EPQ to make sure that I am not blaming one factor, which I definitely am not but to make sure that I am not insensitive when exploring the many reasons behind such a tragic issue that is taking men by storm.

(Original post by DeathTheSister)
Suicide rates are a form of quantitative data. By seeing figures of male suicide rates, it does not indicate whether social media is the main cause of male suicide. Since you simply can't question the person for committing the act, actually claiming that the reason for males to commit suicide is solely on social media is kinda incorrect. Sure, there might be evidence to indicate that social media could influence it, like how social media has led to an increase in individuals diagnosed with depression and anxiety. However, other factors, like burden on school work and the pressures of a changing economy, would certainly influence reasons why males have a high suicide rate, compared to females.

There are a lot of reasons why suicide rates are high in males. For example, females are more likely to 'tend and befriend' whenever facing problems, which could indicate why female suicide rates are lower than males since they could build an emotional support network. There are other factors to include as well, like are male suicide rates higher in developing countries? Would social class be affecting the suicide rate as well? Basically, there are multiple reasons why suicide rate for men are high and by simply stating that social media causes high male suicide rates is too deterministic.
Laurence010401
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It’s not directly why I wanna do it
I want to do it because I’m about to fail all my exams
But part of the reason I’m gonna fail them is because of social media distraction throughout the year
Last edited by Laurence010401; 3 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.39%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (25)
36.23%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.25%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.45%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.14%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.29%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.9%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.35%

Watched Threads