B1464 – Homeland Security Bill 2019 (Second Reading) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
B1464 – Homeland Security Bill 2019 (Second Reading), ap.ferro, SoggyCabbages MP
Homeland Security Bill 2019

An Act implementing measures to protect the UK and it's territories from having UK citizens return who have believed to have fought for a proscribed organisation overseas.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Any citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland who attempts to return to the UK having believed to have either fought for a proscribed terrorist organisation overseas or having actively participated in a proscribed organisation overseas will have their citizenship revoked with immediate effect.
Any citizen of the UK that attempts to return whether by their own means or via the help of others will be denied entry and will be forced to seek asylum in the nearest country that is deemed safe.

(2) It is a criminal offense to attempt to return to the UK having fought for a proscribed terrorist organisation overseas or actively participated in a proscribed terrorist organisation overseas

(3) For the purposes of this Act:—

(2) a. "Proscribed organisation” refers to any organisation that has been proscribed the UK government as being a terrorist organisation. This includes but is not limited to
ISIS/ISIL
Hezbollah
Al Qaeda
Al Shabaab
Boko Haram
Full list can be found here:https://assets.publishing.service.go...oscription.pdf

b) “Fought” refers to the act of actively engaging in combat, whether that be against military forces or civilian targets.

c) “Actively participated” refers to the act of living alongside other members of a proscribed organisation and engaging in activities of that organisation; this can include non combat roles such as marriage or providing other services.

c) “Nearest country deemed safe” refers to any country that is deemed to be safe by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) for British tourists. The country that the person will be deported to will either be a neighbouring country, or the nearest country that is deemed safe. In some cases, a neighbouring country may be safe but the government of that country may not accept to take in the subject. If no countries deemed safe will accept the subject, the person will remain in indefinite detention in a UK immigration detention facility and will be treated as an illegal immigrant.

d) “By their own means” means that if the person attempts to reach the UK by themselves, ie, buying themselves a plane ticket to a UK airport.

e) “Via the help of others” means that if the person attempts to reach the UK with the assistance of others, ie, acquaintances and or relatives or via the help of an external organisation such as a NGO (Non Governmental Organisation). Anybody who is found to have assisted in helping a subject return may face prosecution under immigration and human trafficking laws.

Section Two

Any citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland who has fought or actively participated in a proscribed organisation overseas will have any consular requests denied.
Any citizen who attempts to seek consular assistance whether that be in the country they have fought or actively participated in for a proscribed organisation or another country will have their request to go back to the UK denied and will be forced to surrender their UK passport.

2: Enforcement and Punishment
The enforcement of this act will be the responsibility of the Home Office and the UK Border Force as well as the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Punishment will be maintained in the form of being deported to the nearest safe country.

(3) If there is no safe country that is willing to accept the individual they will then be put on trial in Britain on the charges of joining a proscribed terrorist organisation.

3: Exemption
(1) The Secretary of State will be granted the power to make further exemptions to this Act as he or she finds necessary by Order.

(2) Children under the age of criminal responsibility may be accepted back into the UK but will be taken into care by the relevant authorities. Any responsible adults will be subject to the terms of this bill.

4: Extent
This Act extends to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and any embassy or consulate of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

5: Commencement
The provisions of this Act come into force immediately.

6: Short Title
This act may be called the HSA (Homeland Security Act) 2019

Changes for second reading
I reamended Point 3 under Section 2 Enforcement and punishment to

3) If there is no safe country that is willing to accept the individual they will then be put on trial in Britain on the charges of joining a proscribed terrorist organisation.

Also cleared up the number formatting
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Formatting issues in terms of consistency still remain, but I support the general gist.

As a point, what is the point of making them surrender their passport - surely, it is easier to unilaterally annul it...
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The formatting still makes this exceptionally hard to follow, an issue made worse by the lack of notes.

3) If there is no safe country that is willing to accept the individual they will then be put on trial in Britain on the charges of joining a proscribed terrorist organisation.

Please tell me what the minimum and average sentence for this is, because I suspect it is not sufficient. Please also tell me what legislation makes this a crime. I would love to be able to look this up myself, but the relevant legislation has not been stated.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Saunders16)
The formatting still makes this exceptionally hard to follow, an issue made worse by the lack of notes.

Please tell me what the minimum and average sentence for this is, because I suspect it is not sufficient. Please also tell me what legislation makes this a crime. I would love to be able to look this up myself, but the relevant legislation has not been stated.
I would assume the Terrorism Act 2000 - which forms the basis of proscribed organisations in the UK - though explicit reference would be nice...
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Formatting issues remain.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
B1464 – Homeland Security Bill 2019 (Second Reading), ap.ferro, SoggyCabbages MP

An Act implementing measures to protect the UK and it's territories from having UK citizens return who have believed to have fought for a proscribed organisation overseas.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

Section One

1: For the purposes of this Act:—
a) "Proscribed organisation” refers to any organisation that has been proscribed the UK government as being a terrorist organisation. This includes but is not limited to
ISIS/ISIL
Hezbollah
Al Qaeda
Al Shabaab
Boko Haram
Full list can be found here:https://assets.publishing.service.go...oscription.pdf

b) “Fought” refers to the act of actively engaging in combat, whether that be against military forces or civilian targets.

c) “Actively participated” refers to the act of living alongside other members of a proscribed organisation and engaging in activities of that organisation; this can include non combat roles such as marriage or providing other services.

d) “Nearest country deemed safe” refers to any country that is deemed to be safe by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) for British tourists. The country that the person will be deported to will either be a neighbouring country, or the nearest country that is deemed safe. In some cases, a neighbouring country may be safe but the government of that country may not accept to take in the subject. If no countries deemed safe will accept the subject, the person will remain in indefinite detention in a UK immigration detention facility and will be treated as an illegal immigrant.

e) “By their own means” means that if the person attempts to reach the UK by themselves, ie, buying themselves a plane ticket to a UK airport.

f) “Via the help of others” means that if the person attempts to reach the UK with the assistance of others, ie, acquaintances and or relatives or via the help of an external organisation such as a NGO (Non Governmental Organisation). Anybody who is found to have assisted in helping a subject return may face prosecution under immigration and human trafficking laws.

2: Citizenship
a) Any citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland who attempts to return to the UK having believed to have either fought for a proscribed terrorist organisation overseas or having actively participated in a proscribed organisation overseas will have their citizenship revoked with immediate effect.

b) Any citizen of the UK that attempts to return whether by their own means or via the help of others will be denied entry and will be forced to seek asylum in the nearest country that is deemed safe.

c) It is a criminal offense to attempt to return to the UK having fought for a proscribed terrorist organisation overseas or actively participated in a proscribed terrorist organisation overseas

Section Two

1: Consular
a) Any citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland who has fought or actively participated in a proscribed organisation overseas will have any consular requests denied.

b) Any citizen who attempts to seek consular assistance whether that be in the country they have fought or actively participated in for a proscribed organisation or another country will have their request to go back to the UK denied and will be forced to surrender their UK passport.

a) The enforcement of this act will be the responsibility of the Home Office and the UK Border Force as well as the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

b) Punishment will be maintained in the form of being deported to the nearest safe country.

c) If there is no safe country that is willing to accept the individual they will then be put on trial in Britain on the charges of joining a proscribed terrorist organisation.

a) The Secretary of State will be granted the power to make further exemptions to this Act as he or she finds necessary by Order.

b) Children under the age of criminal responsibility may be accepted back into the UK but will be taken into care by the relevant authorities. Any responsible adults will be subject to the terms of this bill.

4: Extent, Commencement, Short Title,
(1)This Act extends to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and any embassy or consulate of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
(2)The provisions of this Act come into force immediately.
(3)This act may be called the HSA (Homeland Security Act) 2019

ap.ferro I fixed the formating for you.
Last edited by Mr T 999; 4 weeks ago
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am happy to vote for this.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mr T 999)
[field defaultattr=]An Act implementing measures to protect the UK and it's territories from having UK citizens return who have believed to have fought for a proscribed organisation overseas.

Section One

1: For the purposes of this Act:—
a) "Proscribed organisation” refers to any organisation that has been proscribed the UK government as being a terrorist organisation. This includes but is not limited to
ISIS/ISIL
Hezbollah
Al Qaeda
Al Shabaab
Boko Haram

d) “Nearest country deemed safe” refers to any country that is deemed to be safe by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) for British tourists. The country that the person will be deported to will either be a neighbouring country, or the nearest country that is deemed safe. In some cases, a neighbouring country may be safe but the government of that country may not accept to take in the subject. If no countries deemed safe will accept the subject, the person will remain in indefinite detention in a UK immigration detention facility and will be treated as an illegal immigrant.

e) “By their own means” means that if the person attempts to reach the UK by themselves, ie, buying themselves a plane ticket to a UK airport.

f) “Via the help of others” means that if the person attempts to reach the UK with the assistance of others, ie, acquaintances and or relatives or via the help of an external organisation such as a NGO (Non Governmental Organisation). Anybody who is found to have assisted in helping a subject return may face prosecution under immigration and human trafficking laws.

2: Citizenship
a) Any citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland who attempts to return to the UK having believed to have either fought for a proscribed terrorist organisation overseas or having actively participated in a proscribed organisation overseas will have their citizenship revoked with immediate effect.

b) Any citizen of the UK that attempts to return whether by their own means or via the help of others will be denied entry and will be forced to seek asylum in the nearest country that is deemed safe.

c) It is a criminal offense to attempt to return to the UK having fought for a proscribed terrorist organisation overseas or actively participated in a proscribed terrorist organisation overseas

Section Two

1: Consular
a) Any citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland who has fought or actively participated in a proscribed organisation overseas will have any consular requests denied.

b) Any citizen who attempts to seek consular assistance whether that be in the country they have fought or actively participated in for a proscribed organisation or another country will have their request to go back to the UK denied and will be forced to surrender their UK passport.

a) The enforcement of this act will be the responsibility of the Home Office and the UK Border Force as well as the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

b) Punishment will be maintained in the form of being deported to the nearest safe country.

c) If there is no safe country that is willing to accept the individual they will then be put on trial in Britain on the charges of joining a proscribed terrorist organisation.

a) The Secretary of State will be granted the power to make further exemptions to this Act as he or she finds necessary by Order.

b) Children under the age of criminal responsibility may be accepted back into the UK but will be taken into care by the relevant authorities. Any responsible adults will be subject to the terms of this bill.

4: Extent, Commencement, Short Title,
(1)This Act extends to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and any embassy or consulate of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
(2)The provisions of this Act come into force immediately.
(3)This act may be called the HSA (Homeland Security Act) 2019[/field]
ap.ferro I fixed the formating for you.
Actually you haven't
ap.ferro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ns_2)
Formatting issues in terms of consistency still remain, but I support the general gist.

As a point, what is the point of making them surrender their passport - surely, it is easier to unilaterally annul it...
Current legislation makes unilateral annulment possible, but this bill is designed for those who may seek consular assistance or actually try and return to the UK.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wanted to make a judgement on the bill and as quite a long one i thought it best to head to the notes section and read a nice appraisal of each section to help me in my judgement. This appraisal does not exist.

Nay.

*Note to the author, you have 7 days between readings so don't rush. Perfection will make it easy to get every vote you can.
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ap.ferro)
Current legislation makes unilateral annulment possible, but this bill is designed for those who may seek consular assistance or actually try and return to the UK.
It, then, may be better to simply reinforce the right for the SoS to unilaterally annul travel documentation - thereby, making it impossible to return to the UK - as well as the provisions of this Bill.

As another point of order, in terms of excluding someone from the UK, it is may be simpler to take the 'Temporary Exclusion Order' structure and make it permanent or quasi-permanent.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
This bill is in cessation.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
This bill has been withdrawn.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads