The Student Room Group

Deferring university entry

I'm currently in Year 13 and I have applied to study Korean Studies, hoping to go to University of Sheffield. I feel okay about what I will be studying in terms of knowing I will enjoy it, but every other aspect of university just makes me sad and distressed to the point that I can't sleep or eat properly. I'm scared I won't do well in the course, I'm scared of moving out, I'm scared of the year abroad in second year, plus on top of this I am worried about getting the grades to even get into the course.

Recently, due to the pressure becoming a bit too much and having multiple breakdowns over it, I have been wondering if I should take a gap year and ask the universities I applied to if I can defer. All I know is studying and I have no experience, so I was thinking it may be beneficial in the long run if I did take a year out to get a job or volunteer. It'd also be good to study Korean more seriously before doing the degree to make sure it's a subject I'd feel comfortable studying for four years.
However, at the same time I am worried that I will regret taking a year out...

Has anyone had a similar experience before? Or any advice for my circumstances? Thanks in advance!

Edit: it's also worth noting I am going on an applicant day at UofS in a week. Do you think I should hold off making my decision until then?
I think those are totally normal things to worry about.

Take the gap year, get some more life and work experience and learn some more Korean, ideally go to Korea too either by yourself or with a friend etc. I think all of these things would really help show you that it's ok.

I'd say go to the applicant day and see what's happening, you can already have made your decision before then but you don't have to tell them about it before then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending