The Student Room Group

Guilty about not having a job

Im a first year at uni at the moment. I am enjoying the freedom of not having a job but also feel a bit guilty when I’m at a loose end some days. I’m fairly sure I don’t need one because my maintenance loan is pretty big and I have budgeted. I also plan to get a job in the holidays. Is it really worth me getting part time work in term time?
If you’re doing fine financially, why bother with a job? You’ll be working for the rest of your life after uni so enjoy the freedom now. Instead of looking for a job why don’t you take part in different societies/activities, volunteer around the uni etc? It’s good fun, will provide you with some experience, you’ll meet new people and pick up some skills.
Original post by Lutonator007
Im a first year at uni at the moment. I am enjoying the freedom of not having a job but also feel a bit guilty when I’m at a loose end some days. I’m fairly sure I don’t need one because my maintenance loan is pretty big and I have budgeted. I also plan to get a job in the holidays. Is it really worth me getting part time work in term time?

It wouldnt hurt to get one. You might not be desperate for the money, but it will help in terms of experience, a future reference etc etc.
Maybe you could just get a sunday job or something?
Original post by Emma:-)
It wouldnt hurt to get one. You might not be desperate for the money, but it will help in terms of experience, a future reference etc etc.

I’ve already had several part time jobs and have taken a year out to work full time, so it’s not like I have no experience whatsoever of work.
Reply 5
Enjoy it. Retirement age will be about 95 when we reach there so just chill.

Just enjoy it! You'll be glad not to have a job when it comes to revising for exams
Original post by harrysbar
Just enjoy it! You'll be glad not to have a job when it comes to revising for exams

Ditto

As others have said, you're in a lucky situation, MAKE THE MOST OF IT!.

Personally I feel the attitude that student's 'need' jobs is an out of date and slightly dangerous one, doesn't take into account increased course requirements.

Can only speak for my own courses but my college and then my uni both pointed out to students that trying to work during our course is impractical, uni went so far as to offer to compensate students for wages if they quit, no one with a job outside of study made it past block 1 of 2nd year.
Original post by StriderHort
Ditto

As others have said, you're in a lucky situation, MAKE THE MOST OF IT!.

Personally I feel the attitude that student's 'need' jobs is an out of date and slightly dangerous one, doesn't take into account increased course requirements.

Can only speak for my own courses but my college and then my uni both pointed out to students that trying to work during our course is impractical, uni went so far as to offer to compensate students for wages if they quit, no one with a job outside of study made it past block 1 of 2nd year.

Exactly, it's actively discouraged on some courses with high contact time, such as Engineering.

And even if that doesn't apply to OP's course, they should still enjoy not having to work for the time being
Reply 9
If you have loads of spare time and find yourself bored then go for it and find a part-time job in a supermarket or something.

I have had very generous student finance but still decided to get a job so I could save some money for after uni and treat myself a bit more!
It looks better to have a part time job alongside studying, shows you can manage your workload effectively. At least that's what people I studied with told me was the reason they got good placements (in engineering). No point spending all your time perfecting the grade you're going to get as this is not important in getting a job at the end.

I would probably get a part time job during the holidays but that's more to keep you busy and have some savings since you are doing fine financially. I wouldn't feel guilty about it, uni is a time to gain your degree and do as well as you can you have the rest of your sexiest years to slog away at the 9-5.
Original post by swelshie
It looks better to have a part time job alongside studying, shows you can manage your workload effectively. At least that's what people I studied with told me was the reason they got good placements (in engineering). No point spending all your time perfecting the grade you're going to get as this is not important in getting a job at the end.

Placements in engineering are rather different to the average part time student job at Tescos or similar. For one thing, placements are partly organised by the Uni even if you have to find your own firm, so will not clash with Uni commitments such as exams, and for another, they are directly related to the degree subject

Hi,

Thanks for your post!

There’s quite a few different ideas in this thread which is brilliant, and it’s great you feel as if you are in a stable enough financial situation to not need a part time role.

One thing to think about is that there’s much more to having a part time job than just the financial aspect of it many employers like to see that applicants have some form of work experience, just so they can be more confident that you will understand what it’s like to be in a working environment.

If you are interested in a particular industry or job once you graduate, you might also be able to find something which is related to this field this will undoubtedly provide a better platform for you when it comes to applying for roles in the future.

Volunteering has also been mentioned in the thread which is certainly something to recommend as you mention, even if it’s something to stop you from feel like you’re at a loose end!

I hope this helps but if you’re looking for any further help, please feel free to get back in touch.

Thanks and good luck!

Tom.
Placements in engineering are rather different to the average part time student job at Tescos or similar. For one thing, placements are partly organised by the Uni even if you have to find your own firm, so will not clash with Uni commitments such as exams, and for another, they are directly related to the degree subject

I think you misunderstood. They were successful in obtaining a placement with a good company because they had previously juggled part time work with their studies.
Original post by swelshie
I think you misunderstood. They were successful in obtaining a placement with a good company because they had previously juggled part time work with their studies.

I just don't buy it, sorry. My son did engineering and lived in a house with 5 other engineers - none of them had part time jobs (only in the holidays) as they were in Uni pretty much full time apart from Wednesday afternoons. Now he isn't the most diligent of people, but the rest of them are and would have got jobs if they felt they could have done so without it affecting their grades. Everyone's case is different, and OP has already stated that they plan to get a job in the holidays, which employers will be perfectly fine with.
I just don't buy it, sorry. My son did engineering and lived in a house with 5 other engineers - none of them had part time jobs (only in the holidays) as they were in Uni pretty much full time apart from Wednesday afternoons. Now he isn't the most diligent of people, but the rest of them are and would have got jobs if they felt they could have done so without it affecting their grades. Everyone's case is different, and OP has already stated that they plan to get a job in the holidays, which employers will be perfectly fine with.

You don't have to believe anything- managing to hold down a sat/sun job at the same time as full time education gives you an advantage as it would be seen as having good time management skills... Possible to do with an integrated masters level of contact time. Not sure what you are taking issue with tbh.

Is your son a minority though?

With regards to obtaining employment in the UK the BBC actually published an interesting study few weeks ago saying how much more difficult it is for minorities in this country to get to interview stages let alone jobs....

An example case was given of an Indian girl who had a none English last name and she would always write her full name on applications and CVs not realising employers were low key discriminating on her. She then ommited her last name and left her first name and middle name which are both English names and guess what? She got significantly more interviews.....

I can see @swelshie point though but sometimes you just have to realise discrimination still exists in the job world no matter how good you are.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Renaissance-Man
Is your son a minority though?

My son isn't a minority although some of his fellow engineers who didn't get term time jobs were.

And I totally accept your point about discrimination still existing in the UK job market - hopefully it's improving but I dont doubt that it still exists with some employers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending