Will being arrested with a caution or warning affect my university application?

Watch
Profsarac878
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently in year 12 and during my time in year 11 I was arrested. It has been more than a year and I don't remember what exactly I got from the police (I didn't go court btw, or receive any charges). Will this affect my application for medicine at oxbridge and russell group universities? I honestly would appreciate any answer as I'm really paranoid.
Steff_gwyn
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When you apply for any healthcare subject such as medicine, if you get an offer you will have to undergo an enhanced DBS check. Also when you apply you must declare any convictions etc. It’s basically up to the uni but they have to make sure you haven’t broken any of the GMC requirements and that you aren’t a threat to patients. It depends on the severity of the action, maybe try contacting unis to see. Good luck with the application next year!
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Profsarac878)
I am currently in year 12 and during my time in year 11 I was arrested. It has been more than a year and I don't remember what exactly I got from the police (I didn't go court btw, or receive any charges). Will this affect my application for medicine at oxbridge and russell group universities? I honestly would appreciate any answer as I'm really paranoid.
You have the right to ask for a copy of records the police have about you. This is called a ‘subject access request’.

A subject access request has records from:
police forces in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey and the Isle of Man, as well as the British Transport Police.

You can make a subject access request to the ACRO Criminal Records Office (ACRO).

You will then know if you got a formal caution which is recorded on your criminal record. This would have to be declared in a med school application, as it would show up in your enhanced DBS. An informal warning as to your future conduct would not appear.

If you did receive a police caution, it would be for any potential university to decide if the matter was serious enough to prevent you from studying there.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Profsarac878)
What were you arrested for?
Did they give you a formal caution? You need to think about a fromal warning and for the officer to give you the opportunity to accept it and then have the cionsequences explained.

Youth Caution
Children aged 10 – 17 years old can be given a youth caution if they admit a criminal offence.
The police must have enough evidence to prove an offence was committed.
A child must have an appropriate adult if they are given a youth caution (unlike adults they do not consent to receiving a youth caution).
Most children who receive cautions will be referred to the Youth Offending Team (YOT).

It doesnt sound like you admitted to anything or the police gave you a formal caution. They make it clear.
In that case you dont have a record and an enhanced dbs wont find anything.
A youth caution remains on a child’s criminal record. It is considered spent but will appear on an enhanced criminal record check unless it is filtered.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (281)
15.28%
Uncertainty around my education (288)
15.66%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (183)
9.95%
Isolating with family (130)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (84)
4.57%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (153)
8.32%
Loneliness (182)
9.9%
Financial worries (75)
4.08%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (170)
9.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.18%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (161)
8.75%

Watched Threads