5 GCSE's Watch

ughhelpme
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Can you get into Medical School with 5 gcse's? With top grades? Realistically?
学生の父
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For some med schools, certainly. I would look at the entry requirements of the individual universities, and then check with the admissions tutors.

The most vital subjects are English and Mathematics, as well as two sciences. Some med schools, though, ask for more GCSEs. You would have be tactical in your applications.

Is there any reason why you only took 5 GCSEs?
ughhelpme
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 学生の父)For some med schools, certainly. I would look at the entry requirements of the individual universities, and then check with the admissions tutors.

The most vital subjects are English and Mathematics, as well as two sciences. Some med schools, though, ask for more GCSEs. You would have be tactical in your applications.

Is there any reason why you only took 5 GCSEs?

Hey thanks for your reply!! Because I was homeschooled, and my parents weren't well equipped with the knowledge of gcse's, so am taking 5, thinking of taking some extra ones in november ( after ucas application in oct ) ... Will this be possible do you think? X
chibievie10
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Omg, I am the same as you I only took 6 iGCSEs because I was homeschooled.
I did get into medicine, so it definitely can happen but that was a couple of years ago so grade requirements are getting more competitive especially for 5 year courses.
I got onto a foundation/6 year course so the number of gcse's needed were lower, plus you have to be eligible i.e. previous schools bad, disadvantaged background/postcode.
Even so you certainly need to score high for them. I got A*s-B so definitely that or higher especially maths and english because you will be competing with students who have more grades. A high UKCAT/BMAT would tremendously help too along with ALOT of workexperience/volunteering and extracurricular.
Bare in mind, if you wanna take extra gcse's universities only like them to be done in one sitting. So try to take them all together because I remember getting questioned for that.
Hope that helps
学生の父
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ughhelpme)
Hey thanks for your reply!! Because I was homeschooled, and my parents weren't well equipped with the knowledge of gcse's, so am taking 5, thinking of taking some extra ones in november ( after ucas application in oct ) ... Will this be possible do you think? X
The only ones in November are English (and Welsh) Language and Mathematics. So if you don't have those yet, it will be very important for you to get them before you go to uni wherever that is. Will it not be possible for you to do them now in May/June? The entry deadline is soon, but it could be better for those subjects to appear as completed on the UCAS form.
ughhelpme
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey!! You gave me hope!! Congrats!! Which uni did you apply for?? x
(Original post by chibievie10)
Omg, I am the same as you I only took 6 iGCSEs because I was homeschooled.
I did get into medicine, so it definitely can happen but that was a couple of years ago so grade requirements are getting more competitive especially for 5 year courses.
I got onto a foundation/6 year course so the number of gcse's needed were lower, plus you have to be eligible i.e. previous schools bad, disadvantaged background/postcode.
Even so you certainly need to score high for them. I got A*s-B so definitely that or higher especially maths and english because you will be competing with students who have more grades. A high UKCAT/BMAT would tremendously help too along with ALOT of workexperience/volunteering and extracurricular.
Bare in mind, if you wanna take extra gcse's universities only like them to be done in one sitting. So try to take them all together because I remember getting questioned for that.
Hope that helps
chibievie10
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
oooo hello, yes just go for it!
I applied for kings, queen mary, nottingham and southampton.
Declined pre-interview for kings and queen mary, but offers from southamptom and nottingham. I decided to choose southamptom.
Tbh I think getting offers has a lot to do with applying wisely. Research, research, research! I made the wrong choices with choosing the london unis because my requirements just weren't what they were looking for. Be savvy.
(Original post by ughhelpme)
Hey!! You gave me hope!! Congrats!! Which uni did you apply for?? x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads