xxvine
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Are the law express book - they're like revision guides
Are they worth getting?

I really need a good book to revise from and make me understand things as I have exams in May.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I enjoyed them when I was revising for lower level law exams. Easy to read on a tube for example.
I bought ones that were an edition behind the newest ones to save money, as not much changes in 2-3 years.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
They're an OK very basic intro, if you understand they're only a very basic intro. They're there to help you find the path, but you still need to walk down it and find your proper textbook-level knowledge.
xxvine
Rep:
(Original post by Notoriety)
They're an OK very basic intro, if you understand they're only a very basic intro. They're there to help you find the path, but you still need to walk down it and find your proper textbook-level knowledge.
Do you recommend any for public or tort?
username3689312
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
If you want a simple text book but effective for revision, which is clear and concise, then I would recommend the concentrate or nutshell series. I definitely know the concentrate are up to date not sure if they stopped the nutshell series.
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by xxvine)
Do you recommend any for public or tort?
Go online and look at the reviews; I believe Nutshells books are the better ones. I don't like the colour scheme of Q&A.
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
It gets you to where you need to be more quickly, but it takes a lot more discipline to do it. Not everyone has that.
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Chill ya beanz.
xxvine
Rep:
What do you mean?
xxvine
Rep:
Huh?

Thats why I am starting now but you need a text book to use to revise from. It doesn't have to be specifically a revision guide. That's why I am asking for recommendations for books.
xxvine
Rep:
(Original post by james_law)
If you want a simple text book but effective for revision, which is clear and concise, then I would recommend the concentrate or nutshell series. I definitely know the concentrate are up to date not sure if they stopped the nutshell series.
Yeah the nutshell ones are up to date

How did you find the concentrate ones? Like I said I don't mind spending on a bigger textbook for tort and public law if its worth it but I didn't know if It's worth paying like £30 for one text book if the revision guides have decent enough information....
xxvine
Rep:
I don't

We use Law Trove at our uni mainly hence why I was asking for recommendations
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I don't

We use Law Trove at our uni mainly hence why I was asking for recommendations
What uni is this? Anyway, Law Trove gives you online access to textbooks -- that's all it does. Presumably you have been told to have a look at some particular books.
xxvine
Rep:
What uni is this? Anyway, Law Trove gives you online access to textbooks -- that's all it does. Presumably you have been told to have a look at some particular books.
Royal Holloway
What they normally do is give us reading to do from Law Trove.

I feel like from the answers that I am asking a really bad question but all I asked was for recommendations of good tort law / public law books. I don't see what is so bad that I have asked. Are you not allowed to get recommendations from people?
Notoriety
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Royal Holloway
What they normally do is give us reading to do from Law Trove.

I feel like from the answers that I am asking a really bad question but all I asked was for recommendations of good tort law / public law books. I don't see what is so bad that I have asked. Are you not allowed to get recommendations from people?
Do you lot still have Westlaw and LexisNexis?

You can ask for recommendations, but it did seem like you were asking for advice about revision guides rather than on textbooks.

Btw, in answer to an earlier question, a revision guide does not contain all the info that a textbook has. It is significantly reductionist, to the extent of being misleading at times. Hence John told you not to use them and I suggested they should only be used as an intro to the subject. I think the books you have access to on Law Trove are satisfactory, proper textbooks; what issues are you having with them?
xxvine
Rep:
Do you lot still have Westlaw and LexisNexis?

You can ask for recommendations, but it did seem like you were asking for advice about revision guides rather than on textbooks.

Btw, in answer to an earlier question, a revision guide does not contain all the info that a textbook has. It is significantly reductionist, to the extent of being misleading at times. Hence John told you not to use them and I suggested they should only be used as an intro to the subject. I think the books you have access to on Law Trove are satisfactory, proper textbooks; what issues are you having with them?
Sorry I think I didn't explain myself clearly. It does sound like I was asking for a revision guide

I have one public law exam and tort it is 60% oral coursework/40% coursework written work. They take place in May.

I didn't know if it was worth spending like £60 on two text books with only a few months to go....so maybe ill see if I can get them in the library.
xxvine
Rep:
Ahh thanks

I am going to see if I can get the books in the library instead of having to fork out like £60 but then again you can't write on them which is kinda annoying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads