The Student Room Group

Clinical Psych Dream Drifting away

Hiya,

I'm a MSc Psychology Conversion student whom even after working my butt off seems like I will end up with just a pass in my masters.

I have a years experience working in Mind whilst at uni - mostly admin work

I wanted to do my doctorate in clinical psychology once I graduated and have sufficient clinical work experience but now that I may get just a pass, I don't know if I've ruined my chances of being a clinical psychologist.

Please help!
You have posted on several different threads so replying in one.

Firstly achieving 'just a pass' is a very substantial accomplishment. Most employers don't give a monkeys about pass/merit/distinction on a master's degree. It's only a 'thing' in Psychology and a couple of other competitive courses and a new 'thing' at that.

A pass doesn't 'convert' to a 2.2. Your postgraduate master's outranks all undergraduate degrees. This is how you should be seeing it for non-psychology jobs.

In terms of clinical psychologist it's quite a hard idea for some to get their heads around when everyone else is doing them, but for the doctorate it's only generally regarded as necessary to have this ridiculous phrase a 'high 2.1' on an undergraduate degree. The conversion course is a shorter one and although a master's degree outranks the undergrad for a vocational doctorate they are wanting breadth of experience. The work experience is very, very important. The degree is just one aspect.

1/7 who apply get on the doctorate. Your master's isn't even over yet you may get a merit. Even if you never became a Clinical Psychologist there are loads of other really cool jobs such as assistant psychologist and PWP. If you are going for assistant psychologist I would heavily advise going non-NHS and go for ones slightly out in smaller towns or countryside. For some bizarre reason Psychology grads seem to be blissfully unaware of the posts or just not interested in them and the chances of a grad getting them straight out of uni or a few months later are much better. Similarly if you are wanting a voluntary assistant Psychologist role.

It's also not clear what experience you have other than admin work for Mind, but whatever you have needs adding to.
Reply 2
Original post by marinade

Thank you so so much for your words of wisdom. They really have seen me see the larger picture for sure.

Such a great idea to look outside london for a private assistant psychologist position. I will definitely look into that

Thank you so so much you have no idea how much your advice has help!(Original post by marinade)You have posted on several different threads so replying in one.

Firstly achieving 'just a pass' is a very substantial accomplishment. Most employers don't give a monkeys about pass/merit/distinction on a master's degree. It's only a 'thing' in Psychology and a couple of other competitive courses and a new 'thing' at that.

A pass doesn't 'convert' to a 2.2. Your postgraduate master's outranks all undergraduate degrees. This is how you should be seeing it for non-psychology jobs.

In terms of clinical psychologist it's quite a hard idea for some to get their heads around when everyone else is doing them, but for the doctorate it's only generally regarded as necessary to have this ridiculous phrase a 'high 2.1' on an undergraduate degree. The conversion course is a shorter one and although a master's degree outranks the undergrad for a vocational doctorate they are wanting breadth of experience. The work experience is very, very important. The degree is just one aspect.

1/7 who apply get on the doctorate. Your master's isn't even over yet you may get a merit. Even if you never became a Clinical Psychologist there are loads of other really cool jobs such as assistant psychologist and PWP. If you are going for assistant psychologist I would heavily advise going non-NHS and go for ones slightly out in smaller towns or countryside. For some bizarre reason Psychology grads seem to be blissfully unaware of the posts or just not interested in them and the chances of a grad getting them straight out of uni or a few months later are much better. Similarly if you are wanting a voluntary assistant Psychologist role.

It's also not clear what experience you have other than admin work for Mind, but whatever you have needs adding to.

Hello,

Thank you so so much for your words of wisdom. They really have seen me see the larger picture for sure.

Such a great idea to look outside london for a private assistant psychologist position. I will definitely look into that

Thank you so so much you have no idea how much your advice has help!

Quick Reply

Latest