Temporarily withdrawn from PGCE: ADVICE?? Watch

h0llandr0ad
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey everyone,

Last week, I made the tough decision to temporarily withdraw from my Primary PGCE. I was struggling through my stage 2 placement due to workload, the curriculum, school expectations and the staff. My mental health was really taking the hit for it all too. I feel so disappointed in myself for not being able to complete it but I know this will be better long-term. I will resume the course from my stage 2 placement next year.

I'm just not sure what to do until then! I'm not sure how I'd be best preparing myself to return, as I'd like to be able to prove (more to myself) that I can do it! I think the reason I struggled was partly due to the school, so I'm hoping an alternative placement would be much better. I've been told I can volunteer in schools in the meantime but, as there's a lot of time until going back, I need to think about money too! I have a car and rent to fund which isn't going to magically appear.

Ideally, I'd like to find a part-time job and volunteer the rest of the week but I don't want to ruin my chances of succeeding next year! Teaching is all I've ever wanted to do so I'm already gutted about this failure but I have no idea what I'd do if I didn't teach. My family/uni have mentioned using this time to discover other possibilities but I don't know how I could do that without taking my focus from gaining experience.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'd love to know if you/someone you know has been through a similar dilemma! Thank you.
cheesymeat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, I don't know if I can help you but my friend did a primary pgce and struggled with her mental health while at Uni. Once she disclosed this the placement school said they couldn't support her so she ended up completing the theoretical part of the course and failing the placement due to her mental health issues, and lack of Uni and placement support. She decided not to return in September and complete it despite seriously considering it. She returned to live with her parents and accessed support and now works in a special school as a teaching assistant. She enjoys it but is pursuing the idea of embarking on a different career entirely. Life is a journey and it's difficult to plan exactly what will happen. Don't know if this helps but if you have any questions feel free to ask.
ncl16
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I dropped out of 3 year BEd degree due to awful final placement in year 2 so can completely understand your pain. It’s not a failure! Just not the right time or place obviously. I would say look at teaching assistant/LSA positions. Really good to carry on getting experience whilst also being paid. When I didn’t know what do to I applied for a couple of positions and they were biting my hand off, especially with recent school experience. I decided to not go into teaching in schools at all and now work at a museum as a learning officer for school visits and family events etc. Lots of museums need workshop leaders etc if that’s something that would work for you location wise. Hope this helps a bit!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (82)
16.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (53)
10.45%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (92)
18.15%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (75)
14.79%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (53)
10.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (152)
29.98%

Watched Threads