23 with no qualifications Watch

sam_dh95
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey, I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this so if it’s not I apologise.
But I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice for me.

Basically I’m 23 and have no qualifications, I left school at 14 due to severe anxiety/depression.
I still have issues but I can control them a bit better now, anyway, as I left school at 14 and haven’t been in any form of education since (apart from a Japanese course I’ve been taking, if that counts)
I’m not really sure what I should do next.

I have no clue what to do in regards to studies so I just wondered if anyone has any advice?

Thanks
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sam_dh95)
Hey, I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this so if it’s not I apologise.

Basically I’m 23 and have no qualifications, I left school at 14 due to severe anxiety/depression.
I still have issues but I can control them a bit better now, anyway, as I left school at 14 and haven’t been in any form of education since (apart from a Japanese course I’ve been taking, if that counts)

I have no clue what to do in regards to studies so I just wondered if anyone has any advice?

Thanks
Are you working. What path do you want to take..... do gcses or maybe learn a trade. Go to university or what.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thanks
Well if you really want to go to university then you need to do an access course at your local collage.

The run from September until about June and if you complete it you can get into uni just make sure the course you want to do at different universities is accepted providing you get the grade of course at each uni.

It isn’t always straightforward for example access to social science would usually allow you to do psychology however some universities want access to science courses.

That aside make sure the courses at uni you want to do lead to the jobs you want to do. Check!

It’s always worth checking what the uni course entails as well so you know you are interested in it.

Once you know that check which access course they accept for the uni’s you will eventually apply to.

Then go to the collage and get it done.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Liverpool Hope University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thanks
Hi Sam,

Have you contacted any local colleges and enquired about Access to HE courses? Most colleges have their courses online, so if you do not want to call them up first (it can seem a little daunting at first) then you can check online and then contact them if you find one you're interested in. They're a year long and a great reintroduction to education.

I did an Access to HE course in sport so I could do my BSc Sports and Exercise Science and I found it really prepared me for my first year in university.

What subjects/courses are you interested in studying?

Please feel free to ask any questions and I'#ll try and answer them for you. I've been through the Access to HE process and know how daunting it can appear as a mature student!

Fiona :horse:
Davidswift9
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Open university. I done a physics degree with them at 26, finished at 30. Got a well paid job straight after it in spacecraft engineering. It's accredited by institute of physics, not all 'brick university' qualify for that accreditation. Changed my life. I also worked alongside it so didn't become bankrupt. Also open university is funded with student loans.
Last edited by Davidswift9; 3 weeks ago
Smooth Sailing
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Would also recommend considering an Access to HE Diploma. You may need to or wish to take some GCSE's first (I believe a lot of Access courses require a pass in English and Maths), which I know a lot of colleges do evening classes for.

If this might interest you then what I'd suggest is to think about what you would like to study, as Access to HE Diplomas can get you into a huge variety of subjects, from nursing to the social sciences, engineering to computer science, and everything in between. Also, it's worth researching which colleges in your area might offer these kinds of things (generally you can find this information online).

Let us know if you have any more questions!
Marmite-Toast
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Seriously don't worry about no qualifications, also I and many others on here have been mature students and perhaps still are.

You need to go to your local Higher Education College and speak to them, they would be your first point of call.

But as guidance I can say that:

Level 8 is a Doctoral degree
Level 7 is a Master's degree
Level 6 is a Bachelor's degree with honours
Level 6- is a Non-honours bachelor's degree (normally a 3rd class)
Level 5+ is a Higher National Diploma
Level 5- is a Higher National Certificate
Level 4 is a A-level / Access to higher education Diploma is the equivalent of roughly a level 4 course
Level 3 are GCSE's (grades A*–C) Access to higher education Certificate is the equivalent of level 3 course
level 2 GCSE's are (grades D-G)
Entry level 1 Skills for Life

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualif...United_Kingdom)

What you need is to decide firstly whether you want to go to university or go down the apprenticeship route. Both may require an Entry type of certificate or an Access to higher education Certificate depending what you want to do.
But some places will only offer an entry certificate or and Access to higher education Diploma.
Apprenticeships you train and qualify and occasionally get paid (but rare).

Access to higher education Certificate/Diploma - it's like course work and you will do Level 2 Maths/English/Science - compulsory with the possibility of undertaking Level 3 in all other compulsory.

The Access to higher education Certificate/Diploma is made up of education/science type modules and so forth.
They Access to higher education Certificate/Diploma is marked in Distinction, Merit and Pass.
You need a minimum of so many Level 2 and 3 passes (if you do the diploma).
It's pretty straight forward and nothing to worry about - your local college will help and guide you.
Have a go you have nothing to loose.

Just to inspire you I can tell you I personally know someone who left school at 15 with nothing apart from frustration, and is now finishing his DPhil (Oxford version of a doctorate -PHD).

Aim high and don't stop till you get what you want.
best of luck

Marmite Toast
Marmite-Toast
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
May I just add, one thing to consider if you do want to attend university try and pick an Institution (College/University) that has a qualification like an access course that leads directly onto the Degree. (so both qualification are run by the same intuition).

This makes transition a lot easier to the course you may want to eventually end up on.

Occasionally college have advised people to do a certain access course with so many credits in such a such module at such a certain level - and sadly when they have completed the course, they have approached their chosen university and have been told it's not enough or another module may have been better.

Remember there is a financial element to this you are paying to do the Access course - so they (college/university) are making money from you. However, i'm sure no one would be that unscrupulous, so as to ill advice you. Just bear in mind the transition element.

Marmite Toast
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.68%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.27%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (191)
29.98%

Watched Threads