International Qualifications Watch

Gnome Ann
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I want to apply to Cambridge for mathematics (mathematics with physics the first year, probably, just so I can get a feel for some experimental physics as well), and I had a couple of questions about US qualifications.
First, I just got my ACT score back, and it's a 34. I'm confident I can do better if I have to, on either the SAT or the ACT, but is there any realistic difference between a 34 and a 35 or 36 when it comes to applications?
Secondly, should I take the STEP exam this year? I visited the page, but I couldn't tell if there is any advantage to taking it before applying or not.
Lastly, I know that the UK doesn't care about extracurricular, and in general things not related to the course, but do they have some system for converting GPA, or is GPA also not relevant? While my last 3 semesters will be A's, I did stumble a bit last semester and early this semester, and my final GPA will be in the low 3's. I plan to have at least 5 5's on AP's, including both physics exams, calculus, and both economics exams.
Thanks for any help, I know there's a while to go, but I'm confused to death about the applications process and don't even know where to start. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much each piece of the application weighs, so to speak.
Last edited by Gnome Ann; 3 weeks ago
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Gnome Ann)
I want to apply to Cambridge for mathematics (mathematics with physics the first year, probably, just so I can get a feel for some experimental physics as well), and I had a couple of questions about US qualifications.
First, I just got my ACT score back, and it's a 34. I'm confident I can do better if I have to, on either the SAT or the ACT, but is there any realistic difference between a 34 and a 35 or 36 when it comes to applications?
You need to declare all sittings of ACT/SAT.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/usa

Secondly, should I take the STEP exam this year? I visited the page, but I couldn't tell if there is any advantage to taking it before applying or not.
It can be advantageous if you do well, and disadvantageous if you don't do so well (less than 1,1 in STEP II and III). You get no "credit" for attempting STEP poorly prepared or early. In other words, only do it if you are actually ready.

Lastly, I know that the UK doesn't care about extracurricular, and in general things not related to the course, but do they have some system for converting GPA, or is GPA also not relevant? While my last 3 semesters will be A's, I did stumble a bit last semester and early this semester, and my final GPA will be in the low 3's. I plan to have at least 5 5's on AP's, including both physics exams, calculus, and both economics exams.
Thanks for any help, I know there's a while to go, but I'm confused to death about the applications process and don't even know where to start. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much each piece of the application weighs, so to speak.
What matters to Cambridge is your maths...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (34)
14.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.71%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.11%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (72)
29.88%

Watched Threads