Not enjoying uni, considering transferring to another uni (1st year) Watch

fakesmile
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm currently in my 1st year of uni and I am considering dropping out or transferring to another uni after my 1st year.

If anyone is going through the same, feel free to PM me.

TLDR: Really unhappy at uni because I commute. Parents are limiting my uni experience. Considering moving to another uni and starting over because then I can live on campus.
Last edited by fakesmile; 3 weeks ago
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by fakesmile)
I'm currently in my 1st year of uni and I am considering dropping out or transferring to another uni after my 1st year.

(Warning, long explanation ahead, scroll to bottom to read TLDR)

One main reason is because I feel that I made the wrong choice (this is my firm choice uni) and I wish I listened to my parents who told me to go to a uni that's over an hour away and has better career prospects for my future career. (Plus then I'd have to live at uni which I'd prefer because I really don't like living at home, reasons why are further below)

I feel if I had listened to them I would be enjoying uni because at the moment I feel like I am going to college or the Open Uni where I just commute everyday and do my work at home. Also, my parents (sort of, kinda) are restricting my uni experience by imposing rules like
  • I go home once I finish my lectures/seminars/workshops (if it's only for 1-2 hours)
  • I have to ask them / have their permission before I go to an event/society event
  • They have access to my uni email (so this includes my timetable, and I have to tell them my weekly timetable) and they're constantly asking me so many questions about uni when I get home (as in, 'who did you talk to, what did you talk about, when are you going to start your work (I don't mind them asking about my work but it's annoying being told 'when are you going to do it' like I'm in HS, the whole point of uni is for students to be independent??)
  • I have to study in the same room as my family and when I am on my phone/laptop I have to be in the same room as them
  • They have the password to both my phone and laptop

Forgot to put that I will be turning 20 this year ...

I read another post on here where a user explained how they feel like no one at home/their family takes their uni seriously which I 100% agree with. Whenever I study, no one acknowledges the fact that I am going to university and that it's not like A level where I can study only for a couple of weeks and still pass, I can't concentrate when people are walking past, making noise, talking loudly etc and my parents don't let me use earphones/headphones to block out the noise which is even more frustrating so I always try to make full use of the library when I'm at uni.

I feel like a huge reason (like pretty much the whole reason tbh) why I am not enjoying uni / having the full/best 'uni experience' is because I commute every day there (I am not bashing anyway who commutes to uni, this is my personal experience so far).
  • The uni I go to is about 45 minutes - 1 hour away from home and when I originally decided to commute there, it was okay for a few months then it started becoming really annoying.
  • I started to feel left out a lot and isolated as all of my friends live on campus/near uni (as in, in the city) and when they talk about going out/arranging to go somewhere they would do this in front of me and not even bother to ask me if I wanted to go (which imo, is quite rude since I've known these girls for almost 6 months now, I think this is more of a girl thing tbh since some girls tend to be fake/*****y).
  • Personally, I think it's the thought of at least asking someone if they'd like to go clubbing/meal etc with them is polite rather than just arranging to go somewhere in front of them and basically ignoring them.
  • My (closest) friend at uni also would ask me questions like "Do you like living at home" and other people who I knew (not friends, just people who I knew from societies) would randomly come up to me and ask "Are you living on campus 2nd year" and when I would say no that I am commuting (and explain the whole 'it's cheaper, I'll learn to drive etc etc' and ask them why they're asking they'd say (the usual) "just wondering" and it's weird the 1st question they ask is "are you living on campus" and not "Hi, how are you?" or "How's uni" and they'd immediately stop talking to me after that.

My parents are set on me commuting to uni for the whole 3 years and are not changing their mind. I've tried telling them how I feel about it and they simply don't care (they said it's a waste of money and they constantly talk about how campus students are lazy, always going out, never turning up to lectures etc etc all the stereotypes which I always defend them and feel some type of way as they're talking about my friends and it's just rude imo) and sometimes I wish I can just yell at them and remind them that I am the one going to uni and it's me paying the tuition fees when I finish uni and I am the one getting a degree out of it. They said either stay at this uni and commute to uni for the rest of 3 years or move to another one and live there and I don't know what to do because I'm not sure how the whole process works. (Do I start my 3 years over at another uni, do they accept 1st year grades to transfer?? how does it work?)

Thank you for reading I appreciate it💕

If anyone is going through the same, feel free to PM me.

TLDR: Really unhappy at uni because I commute. Parents are limiting my uni experience. Considering moving to another uni and starting over because then I can live on campus.
I understand your reasons for wishing to transfer, but if you doing well on your course and achieving good grades, it is worth trying to transfer directly into Year 2 of a different Uni. The first step in doing this would be to research good alternatives and then phone Admissions at those Unis to see whether they would be able to take you. They will want to know that your A levels meet their usual entry requiements (a bit of flexibility may be allowed) and that you are doing well in your modules so far (mainly 2.1). If they are able to take you, they will advise you on the transfer process, which normally involves completing another UCAS form.

If you can't find a Uni that has vacancies in Year 2, the other option is to apply to Year 1 in the normal way, via UCAS. Although you have missed the closing date, many Unis will still have places available and will be happy to receive an application from someone who has already achieved their A level results (or equivalent).
fakesmile
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I understand your reasons for wishing to transfer, but if you doing well on your course and achieving good grades, it is worth trying to transfer directly into Year 2 of a different Uni. The first step in doing this would be to research good alternatives and then phone Admissions at those Unis to see whether they would be able to take you. They will want to know that your A levels meet their usual entry requiements (a bit of flexibility may be allowed) and that you are doing well in your modules so far (mainly 2.1). If they are able to take you, they will advise you on the transfer process, which normally involves completing another UCAS form.

If you can't find a Uni that has vacancies in Year 2, the other option is to apply to Year 1 in the normal way, via UCAS. Although you have missed the closing date, many Unis will still have places available and will be happy to receive an application from someone who has already achieved their A level results (or equivalent).
Hi, thank you for replying so quick!

I checked the UCAS deadlines and it was 15th January to apply for uni (as in, as 1st year) and I searched the course I want to study at the uni I am thinking of transferring to and it says they are no longer accepting applications from UK students after this time.

They have an open day next month, is it worth phoning them up soon and explaining my situation then travelling there (as I haven't been there before, I only visited my firm and insurance choice unis) to see what it's like?

Their A level entry grades is only 1 grade above my A level results so I am just wondering which would they just look at my 1st year results (hopefully a 2:1!) or my A level results as well?
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I checked the UCAS deadlines and it was 15th January to apply for uni (as in, as 1st year) and I searched the course I want to study at the uni I am thinking of transferring to and it says they are no longer accepting applications from UK students after this time.

They have an open day next month, is it worth phoning them up soon and explaining my situation then travelling there (as I haven't been there before, I only visited my firm and insurance choice unis) to see what it's like?

Their A level entry grades is only 1 grade above my A level results so I am just wondering which would they just look at my 1st year results (hopefully a 2:1!) or my A level results as well?
They would look at your A level results as well, but a 1 grade difference isn't bad (I have seen people transfer to other Unis with a small difference in A level grades) so I think the main thing will be your 1st year results. Without doubt, the best thing is to phone Admissions asap and explain your situation. Even if they are full for Year 1, they may still accept an application to Year 2, but you are best to discuss it with them directly because that is part of their job and they will be happy to discuss the options with you.
Molseh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If my parents were like that I'd have moved to a different continent.

As the above poster has said, try and not waste that First year by gaining access into a 2nd year somewhere else. Maybe even think about other places you haven't considered.

Also take ownership of all your accounts, emails, social media from your parents. They have no right to access them.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

It's not so much a deadline; in the sense, they might still consider your app after that day. They just don't have to. Many unis will be in Extra, still have places and will be considering taking on new students (even if it's past 15 Jan). For law, invariably it involves starting over from year 1 again -- they don't like doing second-year "transfers".

Most unis accept 1-2 grades below for A-Level; and you're at an advantage because you're applying with achieved grades and I imagine you have some summatives back already.
Last edited by Notoriety; 3 weeks ago
fakesmile
Rep:
?
(Original post by Molseh)
If my parents were like that I'd have moved to a different continent.

As the above poster has said, try and not waste that First year by gaining access into a 2nd year somewhere else. Maybe even think about other places you haven't considered.

Also take ownership of all your accounts, emails, social media from your parents. They have no right to access them.
Haha, I mean it's not too bad but at the same time I feel as though I am being treated like a 12 year old, not an adult.

I'm just going to focus on studying really hard for my first year and passing my first year so hopefully I'll come out with a 2:1.

I really love my subject and I don't want to study any other course but I really would prefer to transfer to another uni, even if it means starting over (as I don't mind, change is good, a fresh start is needed since my first few months at uni weren't exactly the best) as I don't feel happy at the uni I am at.

So far, what I've seen from the uni I would like to transfer to it all looks good but I am just basing this off photos off their website, their rankings/reviews/place on the top UK universities, etc so it'd be great to actually visit the place on an Open Day and ask some students what it's like studying (and living) there.

I think since they pay for my phone and laptop I can't do anything about it so tbf since I am not paying for it (I am not technically the owner, on a legal standpoint) I just have to comply with it.
Last edited by fakesmile; 3 weeks ago
fakesmile
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
It's not so much a deadline; in the sense, they might still consider your app after that day. They just don't have to. Many unis will be in Extra, still have places and will be considering taking on new students (even if it's past 15 Jan). For law, invariably it involves starting over from year 1 again -- they don't like doing second-year "transfers".

Most unis accept 1-2 grades below for A-Level; and you're at an advantage because you're applying with achieved grades and I imagine you have some summatives back already.
Hi, thank you for replying. I didn't know about the 2nd year whole transfer thing being an issue with law, thanks for letting me know I'll look into this.

I'll also contact UCAS to ask about the whole 'starting over' process.

Yes, the uni I would like to transfer to have entry requirements of AAA so I hope they will take this into account, even though I am one grade below (plus I wasn't far off an A with the B subject anyway, and I could've acheived A*s in the other 2 subjects, I wasn't far off the next grade).
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
UCAS aren’t very knowledgable/helpful when it comes to transfers (even the application form is rubbish for entering university study). If you look at the top of the applications, clearing and ucas forum there’s a thread called Transfer FAQ. That has more information in the first post than the entire ucas website on how to transfer.

Ring up the universities that you’re interested in today - the sooner you start asking the better your chances.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Adding a link to the thread mentioned above by PQ

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1781424
University Transfer FAQ

:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.61%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.49%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (35)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.3%
How can I be the best version of myself? (73)
29.92%

Watched Threads