The Student Room Group

What’s your monthly phone bill?

Scroll to see replies

Mine is £20 (ish) a month and I get 20GB and unlimited calls and texts with EE. I never use more than about 6gb (usually only 2 or 3) but I went from paying £8 for 250mb so it was worth the extra
£15 12gb unlimited text and calls
Reply 22
Original post by dannitt69
Mine's £82 per month. EE with 21 GB data.

How much of that data do you actually use every month?
Reply 23
Original post by jameswhughes
I'm on Smarty

Well giffgaff, MVNO on O2, is owned by Telefonica - who own O2...

SMARTY is owned by Hutchison - who own 3...
(edited 5 years ago)
I think it's to do with the networks making such huge profits off the normal customers, even the cheaper MVNOs are still profitable. For example, Voxi is far cheaper than Vodafone, yet it's run by Vodafone themselves.

Maybe if there was a real threat of reliability or prioritizing their own customers I'd see some justification for paying more, though from what I can see there doesn't seem to be any evidence of this and you may as well go for the cheapest possible plan.
Original post by Doonesbury
How much of that data do you actually use every month?

On average I use up to around 19 - 20 GB of data per month. :colondollar:
Reply 26
Original post by dannitt69
On average I use up to around 19 - 20 GB of data per month. :colondollar:

Are you a Netflix movie reviewer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lavender_rose
£7.50 monthly, 2gb data unlimited calls and texts. I have only just swapped from pay as you go to Smarty (they are a new company so I'm trying them out). I was spending about £10 previously on just calls/texts so I am getting more value for money this way. I hardly use data, I have relied on wifi for so long I doubt I will need any more than 2gb.

Which company is offering the £8 deal?

Sorry, i just made those numbers up!
Original post by DrawTheLine
That's up to you to decide. You could always keep it for a few months and see how much data you use and then decide later if you want to switch to a cheaper one.

I just switched to a 2gb, unlimited texts and calls for £8 a month sim only deal on ee

now im thinking of leaving ee altogether and getting that virgin media deal which has 5gb data for £9!
Original post by FantasticMsFox
Virgin Mobile SIM only contract. £9 a month for 5GB data, 2500 minutes and unlimited texts. Data rollover included.

This is what i am thinking of switching to
Original post by Certainty
I just switched to a 2gb, unlimited texts and calls for £8 a month sim only deal on ee

now im thinking of leaving ee altogether and getting that virgin media deal which has 5gb data for £9!

To save continuously switching and all the hassle, do some research on the different deals you like the sound of and make a pros and cons list of each.

Look at how much data you use every month now - is 5 still too much? Is 2 too little or just about right? Texts and minutes seem to be pretty irrelevant as they're all rather high or unlimited, so data would probably be your main deciding point. And then cost as well, what's your limit?
£6/mo for 3Gb unl txt unl mins rolling contract (Plusnet). Decent service and speeds as well.
Original post by swelshie
£6/mo for 3Gb unl txt unl mins rolling contract (Plusnet). Decent service and speeds as well.

Where i can i find this deal :0
////
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 34
£12.50 a month SIM only, Tesco... think it's 6GB, unlimited calls and texts.
£53 with EE, because it's not SIM only. It's a shocking amount to pay for a phone IMO, but my phones last me years so I'll knock it right down as soon as I can.
Where i can i find this deal :0

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/plusnet-3gb-unlimited-minutestexts-6-per-month-on-30-day-contract-plusnet-via-call-3165612

it's not on their website so have to call them, mines took effect at end of month
Not sure if you can call to get straight onto it or would maybe have to start out on something like £8 for 4gb https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/
This is what i am thinking of switching to

Hello! 🙂

I got this deal as an existing Virgin Mobile customer. Were you offered this deal or were you going to ask for it? Also, my plan shows that I get a discount of £4 on this tariff so it was originally £13.

In all honesty, I don’t need 5GB data and I certainly don’t need 2500 minutes. The most I’ve used in a month is 3GB, I think, and in recent months I’ve never used more than 1.5GB. Also, unused data rolls over, so I’ve got 10GB to use. I suppose I could turn on my hotspot and let family use my data. I’m stuck in a contract for a few months otherwise I would’ve looked at other providers like Giffgaff or Superdrug Mobile, or even considered PAYG if I thought it was worth it.
Im on a sim only contract on ee. £12 a month for 10gb data and unlimited calls and texts.

I still feel guilty like this is too expensive? I dont even need this much data. Maybe i could get like an £8 a month deal for like 4gb data?!

£12 for 10GB of data and unlimited calls and texts is a fair deal tbf.

I have the same plan, but with a phone which bumps the price up to £37 a month for myself. (If you're a student, you're eligible for 20% off your EE bill). I never use my data up, but it's nice to have a couple more GB to cover me for when I need the extra data.
£34.00 (going up to £34.85 in April, thanks inflation!) for unlimited texts, calls & 15GB of data. This is for an iPhone 8 with O2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending