MSc Medical Anthropology (UCL or SOAS?) Watch

ninahsu0416
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi!

I have offers from both UCL and SOAS in Medical Anthropology and need some advice before making my final decision. I would be really interested in hearing first-hand experiences from current students or alumnus at UCL, especially comments about the core course and the clinical ethnography seminar.

Also, will SOAS be a better choice for those who don't have previous anthropology degree? I had the impression from their course structure since they have two additional compulsory modules "Ethnographic Research Methods" and "Theoretical Approaches to Social Anthropology" for those who don't have previous anthropology degree.

Any advice will be a great help. Thanks!

UCL https://www.ucl.ac.uk/anthropology/s...l-anthropology
SOAS https://www.soas.ac.uk/anthropology/...mes/mamedanth/
dnhcdicdwbi
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I did the UCL masters a few years ago and would actually REALLY recommend it. I can't compare it with SOAS as I don't know much about that course, but I found the staff and content really great. I came from a different disciplinary background and so did quite a lot of the people on the course and it wasn't a problem - the core course and clinical ethnography seminar were enough to get us up to speed (and I'm now doing a PhD in medical anthropology and don't feel too disadvantaged by my lack of a BA in the subject) . I especially liked that we were able to do actual fieldwork for our dissertations rather than just something library-based, which I know a lot of other programmes don't offer that. Anyhoo, that's my feedback. Best of luck with your decision!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (34)
14.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.71%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.11%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (72)
29.88%

Watched Threads