The Student Room Group

How much should I charge for my fashion designs???

So I draw clothing designs which include flats and 3d style sketches but I dont know how much to sell them for. Some of them are custom to the person I'm selling them to. Is £10 enough for say a jacket with intricate details?
I sketch the flats in pencil and the 3d in colour (watercolour, gouache, coloured pencil) btw
(edited 5 years ago)
Sounds low to me but I'm no expert. Google around the internet for people selling the same service and see what they charge? Bear in mind you'll make less selling to family + friends and when you're less established.
can you post a sample for us to look at ?
Reply 3
Original post by Sumi12321
So I draw clothing designs which include flats and 3d style sketches but I dont know how much to sell them for. Some of them are custom to the person I'm selling them to. Is £10 enough for say a jacket with intricate details?
I sketch the flats in pencil and the 3d in colour (watercolour, gouache, coloured pencil) btw

How long does it take you?

Does the recipient make the clothing from your designs? Are they just for personal use or commercial?

Is this just for familly or ...?
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
can you post a sample for us to look at ?

I'm not comfortable with sharing it online just yet but I'll show you examples of what I do from the internet.

So basically i would draw a garment of my customers choice then I would draw whatever embroidery or design they choose. I would colour it in if they want to and I'd draw it 3d style on a model to show how it would look like worn. I hope you can understand lol
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
How long does it take you?

Does the recipient make the clothing from your designs? Are they just for personal use or commercial?

Is this just for familly or ...?

It takes 2-7 hours depending on the design and how they want it. Maybe more at times.
Yeah, they use my designs to make clothes for themselves so its personal use.
Right now its like friends of friends of friends of family etc.
Reply 6
It takes 2-7 hours depending on the design and how they want it. Maybe more at times.
Yeah, they use my designs to make clothes for themselves so its personal use.

Well even if you charged a minimum wage you're undercharging... I appreciate you might want to charge low because it also help you build your experience and a customer base, but £10 seems much too low.

How much do other people charge?

Right now its like friends of friends of friends of family etc.

Those are just customers. If you are reaching beyond immediate friends and family then you have a good business going on. :yep:
£10 is too low for a possible of 7 hours per work
Reply 8
Original post by Doonesbury
Well even if you charged a minimum wage you're undercharging... I appreciate you might want to charge low because it also help you build your experience and a customer base, but £10 seems much too low.

How much do other people charge?

Those are just customers. If you are reaching beyond immediate friends and family then you have a good business going on. :yep:

Thing is I'm not sure how much people are charging. Do you think I should maybe start with minimum wage per hour and increase as I grow?
Reply 9
Original post by sammyj97
£10 is too low for a possible of 7 hours per work

I would charge more for 7 hours, but lets say a summer dress with a few bits and bobs added here and there would take me 2-3 hours then I would charge £10-15ish but it might be more or less depending on if I knew the person or not
Reply 10
Thing is I'm not sure how much people are charging. Do you think I should maybe start with minimum wage per hour and increase as I grow?

That would be a good and fair start, yes.

Also make sure you are clearly retaining copyright your designs. And put your name/contact details on everything you produce.

The less connection you have to your customers the more likely it is that someone might rip you off...

Quick Reply

Latest