The Student Room Group

Quitting First Year Of University

Hi, I am currently studying with The Open University, I am in my first year but I want to drop out and do an Art and Design Access to HE course. I have been with The Open University since October 2018, my course is due to finish 3 months from now. If I do drop out would I have to pay back the tuition fee loan or will I get a fee waiver and not have to pay anything? Can I drop out of uni and still be able to get an Advance Learner Loan? I am planning on starting the Access course this September.

Thank you,
Sian
Original post by Sian_d18
Hi, I am currently studying with The Open University, I am in my first year but I want to drop out and do an Art and Design Access to HE course. I have been with The Open University since October 2018, my course is due to finish 3 months from now. If I do drop out would I have to pay back the tuition fee loan or will I get a fee waiver and not have to pay anything? Can I drop out of uni and still be able to get an Advance Learner Loan? I am planning on starting the Access course this September.

Thank you,
Sian

Hi Sian,

The Open University will determine your fee liability which will remain as a balance on your account to repay, this will not get waived.

Have you had an Advanced Learner Loan before?

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi Sian,

The Open University will determine your fee liability which will remain as a balance on your account to repay, this will not get waived.

Have you had an Advanced Learner Loan before?

Regards,
Nihad

Thank you for your reply, no I have not had an advanced learner loan before.

Thanks,
Sian
Thank you for your reply, no I have not had an advanced learner loan before.

Thanks,
Sian

Hi Sian,

Thanks very much for confirming this. In this case, you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan as your previous Higher Education study is not taken into account when applying for Further Education.

Contact your provider to ensure that the course attracts funding.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi Sian,

Thanks very much for confirming this. In this case, you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan as your previous Higher Education study is not taken into account when applying for Further Education.

Contact your provider to ensure that the course attracts funding.

Regards,
Nihad

Hi, if I end up studying the Access course and then go on to study an art degree which is 3 years will I get funding for it?

Thank you,
Sian
Hi, if I end up studying the Access course and then go on to study an art degree which is 3 years will I get funding for it?

Thank you,
Sian

Hi Sian, if you have had no other funding in higher education and this is you first year you will still be eligible for the length of you course if you come back to study, this is because we add an additional year for every student to account for situations like this. Thanks, Aaron.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending