The Student Room Group

How Likely Am I To Get Into Pharmacy?

GCSE Grades: 988777776 and a L2M in ICT
A-Level Predicted: A*A*A - chemistry, biology, maths
Work Experience: I do volunteering at my hospital and I've given drugs to patients and I've also done some work experience at my local pharmacy.
- I want to apply to Nottingham, Newcastle, UCL, Manchester and Queens (any Russel Groups really). Im worried that my GCSE grades are too low. I got a 6 in GCSE Maths and a 7 in GCSE English Lang and Biology and a 8 in Chemistry.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevels2020
Work Experience: I do volunteering at my hospital and I've given drugs to patients and I've also done some work experience at my local pharmacy.
- I want to apply to Nottingham, Newcastle, UCL, Manchester and Queens (any Russel Groups really). Im worried that my GCSE grades are too low. I got a 6 in GCSE Maths and a 7 in GCSE English Lang and Biology and a 8 in Chemistry.

Excellent, I would say. Why would you doubt it with those grades and work experience?
Original post by harrysbar
Excellent, I would say. Why would you doubt it with those grades and work experience?

I don't know I just feel like its a competitive course and others who apply will have much better GCSEs than me, I messed about a lot during GCSEs and barely did any revision (stupidly) so I stress about my grades not being good enough.
I don't know I just feel like its a competitive course and others who apply will have much better GCSEs than me, I messed about a lot during GCSEs and barely did any revision (stupidly) so I stress about my grades not being good enough.

It is a competitive course but you are an excellent candidate. Your GCSEs are pretty good and your A level predictions are amazing. I've certainly heard of people getting into Pharmacy with a lot less than you, so I wouldn't worry about it. Are you applying next year?
It is a competitive course but you are an excellent candidate. Your GCSEs are pretty good and your A level predictions are amazing. I've certainly heard of people getting into Pharmacy with a lot less than you, so I wouldn't worry about it. Are you applying next year?

For 2020 entry, yes. Also do you think I should change the unis I want to apply to because I've heard UCL is quite hard to get into?
Not that I'm trying to brag, but I'm predicted ABB and I have received an offer for every uni I applied to. The uni's will probably be begging to have you on their course with grades and experience like that! :smile:
For 2020 entry, yes. Also do you think I should change the unis I want to apply to because I've heard UCL is quite hard to get into?

You'd be a fool not to apply to UCL. Stop doubting yourself!
Original post by randomsheep11
Not that I'm trying to brag, but I'm predicted ABB and I have received an offer for every uni I applied to. The uni's will probably be begging to have you on their course with grades and experience like that! :smile:

Is that for Pharmacy?

Thank you so much, good luck (I'm assuming your doing alevels this year) :smile:
Is that for Pharmacy?

Yes

Make sure you do your research and that it is the career you want. There are many threads on TSR from students and pharmacists disillusioned with it because of low pay, saturated job market and low prospects. Go in with your eyes open.
Yes

That's really good - congratulations :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
Make sure you do your research and that it is the career you want. There are many threads on TSR from students and pharmacists disillusioned with it because of low pay, saturated job market and low prospects. Go in with your eyes open.

Thank you, I will make sure to do my research :smile:

I think you should apply to UCL if you have the grades - why not?

Yes, it is harder to get into than most other Unis but you get 5 choices on the UCAS form, so give it a shot or you'll never know...
Thank you, I will make sure to do my research :smile:

Pharmacy is the only area on TSR I make sure I give that warning. Its the only area which has students and newly qualifieds warning. You will ahve time to research other careers as well. More work experience will also help.
Reply 15
Definitely! As long as you show you have correct mindset etc.

My GCSE grades were A*A*77AABBC so a lot lower than yours, on track for AAB in chem, maths and photography, also a lot lower than yours, and i have an offer at Cardiff uni for pharmacy. They look at the person more than the grades, as long as you meet the minimum.
Good luck!
Original post by Pandii
Definitely! As long as you show you have correct mindset etc.

My GCSE grades were A*A*77AABBC so a lot lower than yours, on track for AAB in chem, maths and photography, also a lot lower than yours, and i have an offer at Cardiff uni for pharmacy. They look at the person more than the grades, as long as you meet the minimum.
Good luck!

did u have to go for an interview? if so what was it like? :smile:
Reply 17
i currently have an offer from ucl for mpharm, i would say if you can hack it, i would deffo say go into medicine. with grades like yours you will most likely be able to get in. im struggling with alevel chemistry an thats why i chose pharmacy.

Its above average competitiveness but its not unreal competitive.

Your predicted grades are surplus to average offer
offer rates: Nottingham 58% Newcastle 92% Manchester 55% UCL 55% Queens 84%

2 minutes research would have told you this!

This thread is not about an honest opinion its another, please remind me im predicted A*A*A. *yawn*

Yes barring any huge red flags you will obviously get offers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mnot
Its above average competitiveness but its not unreal competitive.

Your predicted grades are surplus to average offer
offer rates: Nottingham 58% Newcastle 92% Manchester 55% UCL 55% Queens 84%

2 minutes research would have told you this!

This thread is not about an honest opinion its another, please remind me im predicted A*A*A. *yawn*

Yes barring any huge red flags you will obviously get offers.

well said :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending