How Likely Am I To Get Into Pharmacy? Watch

alevels2020
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
GCSE Grades: 988777776 and a L2M in ICT
A-Level Predicted: A*A*A - chemistry, biology, maths
Work Experience: I do volunteering at my hospital and I've given drugs to patients and I've also done some work experience at my local pharmacy.
- I want to apply to Nottingham, Newcastle, UCL, Manchester and Queens (any Russel Groups really). Im worried that my GCSE grades are too low. I got a 6 in GCSE Maths and a 7 in GCSE English Lang and Biology and a 8 in Chemistry.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by alevels2020)
Work Experience: I do volunteering at my hospital and I've given drugs to patients and I've also done some work experience at my local pharmacy.
- I want to apply to Nottingham, Newcastle, UCL, Manchester and Queens (any Russel Groups really). Im worried that my GCSE grades are too low. I got a 6 in GCSE Maths and a 7 in GCSE English Lang and Biology and a 8 in Chemistry.
Excellent, I would say. Why would you doubt it with those grades and work experience?
alevels2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Excellent, I would say. Why would you doubt it with those grades and work experience?
I don't know I just feel like its a competitive course and others who apply will have much better GCSEs than me, I messed about a lot during GCSEs and barely did any revision (stupidly) so I stress about my grades not being good enough.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't know I just feel like its a competitive course and others who apply will have much better GCSEs than me, I messed about a lot during GCSEs and barely did any revision (stupidly) so I stress about my grades not being good enough.
It is a competitive course but you are an excellent candidate. Your GCSEs are pretty good and your A level predictions are amazing. I've certainly heard of people getting into Pharmacy with a lot less than you, so I wouldn't worry about it. Are you applying next year?
alevels2020
Rep:
?
It is a competitive course but you are an excellent candidate. Your GCSEs are pretty good and your A level predictions are amazing. I've certainly heard of people getting into Pharmacy with a lot less than you, so I wouldn't worry about it. Are you applying next year?
For 2020 entry, yes. Also do you think I should change the unis I want to apply to because I've heard UCL is quite hard to get into?
randomsheep11
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not that I'm trying to brag, but I'm predicted ABB and I have received an offer for every uni I applied to. The uni's will probably be begging to have you on their course with grades and experience like that!
seriouscandidate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For 2020 entry, yes. Also do you think I should change the unis I want to apply to because I've heard UCL is quite hard to get into?
You'd be a fool not to apply to UCL. Stop doubting yourself!
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by randomsheep11)
Not that I'm trying to brag, but I'm predicted ABB and I have received an offer for every uni I applied to. The uni's will probably be begging to have you on their course with grades and experience like that!
Is that for Pharmacy?
alevels2020
Rep:
?
Thank you so much, good luck (I'm assuming your doing alevels this year)
randomsheep11
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is that for Pharmacy?
Yes
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
Make sure you do your research and that it is the career you want. There are many threads on TSR from students and pharmacists disillusioned with it because of low pay, saturated job market and low prospects. Go in with your eyes open.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes
That's really good - congratulations
alevels2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Make sure you do your research and that it is the career you want. There are many threads on TSR from students and pharmacists disillusioned with it because of low pay, saturated job market and low prospects. Go in with your eyes open.
Thank you, I will make sure to do my research
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think you should apply to UCL if you have the grades - why not?

Yes, it is harder to get into than most other Unis but you get 5 choices on the UCAS form, so give it a shot or you'll never know...
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you, I will make sure to do my research
Pharmacy is the only area on TSR I make sure I give that warning. Its the only area which has students and newly qualifieds warning. You will ahve time to research other careers as well. More work experience will also help.
Pandii
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Definitely! As long as you show you have correct mindset etc.

My GCSE grades were A*A*77AABBC so a lot lower than yours, on track for AAB in chem, maths and photography, also a lot lower than yours, and i have an offer at Cardiff uni for pharmacy. They look at the person more than the grades, as long as you meet the minimum.
Good luck!
alevels2020
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pandii)
Definitely! As long as you show you have correct mindset etc.

My GCSE grades were A*A*77AABBC so a lot lower than yours, on track for AAB in chem, maths and photography, also a lot lower than yours, and i have an offer at Cardiff uni for pharmacy. They look at the person more than the grades, as long as you meet the minimum.
Good luck!
did u have to go for an interview? if so what was it like?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ra1500
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i currently have an offer from ucl for mpharm, i would say if you can hack it, i would deffo say go into medicine. with grades like yours you will most likely be able to get in. im struggling with alevel chemistry an thats why i chose pharmacy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (31)
13.19%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.94%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.28%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.47%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.34%
How can I be the best version of myself? (70)
29.79%

Watched Threads