esrever
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have an A*A*A offer from Cambridge and Imperial. Cambridge requires A* in further maths while Imperial requires A* in maths. Further maths boundaries are incredibly tight so even messing up one question means no A* for me.

So I've decided to wait until June 1 and then decide who I want to firm based on how my further maths paper goes (I have a 6 June deadline because I am an international).

Do you think this is worth it or is this a stupid plan?

I'm really sorry if I sound petty. This is a very important decision for me and I'm genuinely very confused.
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by esrever)
I have an A*A*A offer from Cambridge and Imperial. Cambridge requires A* in further maths while Imperial requires A* in maths. Further maths boundaries are incredibly tight so even messing up one question means no A* for me.

So I've decided to wait until June 1 and then decide who I want to firm based on how my further maths paper goes (I have a 6 June deadline because I am an international).

I'm really sorry if I sound petty. This is a very important decision for me and I'm genuinely very confused.
You're not able to wait until June......the deadline for firming is May unless you haven't received all your offers before March 31st. If you have already received all your offers you need to decide by May 1st

EDIT: sorry just re-read and saw you are international
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Are you taking 3 or 4 A levels?
What subject are you holding an offer for in each?

Doonesbury for the expert view, but I'm not sure your strategy is valid (although you don't explain fully why you are doing this).

You should put the University you would prefer to go to first, because they are likely to be more forgiving of a near miss than the insurance. This is especially the case with Cambridge who have a lot of data about you to judge the significance of a near miss.

The first choice university has you calculated in the 'offer holders' pool and as Cambridge doesn't enter clearing or adjustment for anything, if the results are tough and the pool needs topping up it can only look at near misses. I presume Imperial doesn't enter clearing, but does it allow adjustment candidates? Could they gazump you?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I've already told you it's a stupid plan

Firm the university you want to go to. Note that STEP will be a significant factor for your Cambridge Engineering offer.

(Original post by threeportdrift)
Are you taking 3 or 4 A levels?
What subject are you holding an offer for in each?

Doonesbury for the expert view, but I'm not sure your strategy is valid (although you don't explain fully why you are doing this).

You should put the University you would prefer to go to first, because they are likely to be more forgiving of a near miss than the insurance. This is especially the case with Cambridge who have a lot of data about you to judge the significance of a near miss.

The first choice university has you calculated in the 'offer holders' pool and as Cambridge doesn't enter clearing or adjustment for anything, if the results are tough and the pool needs topping up it can only look at near misses. I presume Imperial doesn't enter clearing, but does it allow adjustment candidates? Could they gazump you?
Imperial doesn't do Clearing or Adjustment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (145)
30.08%
No (337)
69.92%

Watched Threads