Attending a uni lecture by a non-uni student Watch

Binay
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone knows about Universities rules on attending a Uni lecture by a non-uni student.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Realistically, how are they going to know? Hundreds of people are in these lecture theatres
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You'd need to contact the department/lecturer for permission; I think it would be very unlikely however. Even for staff at universities, it can be contentious to request to attend academic lectures.

There are usually public lectures held by universities however, which you should be able to go to (you may need to book in advance for some) - these are also usually held in the evenings/weekends/holiday periods when people aren't working or have other commitments (as regular lectures for students will be on weekdays during business hours for the vast majority of universities).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 weeks ago
velvethopes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I was wondering this too! I saw a YouTube video by ClickforTaz, it seemed like she'd just snuck in without permission, though perhaps that was just to add to the effect of the video. But it seems so easy to get away with, as above said, how would anyone know? Anyone could roam around, nobody's going around checking for student IDs
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I suspect you've posted this in the wrong forum - surely no ordinary human being would want to sit in a law lecture for an hour...

You can probably sneak in if the building in which the lecture is held doesn't have security, but you'd have to get a copy of someone's timetable to figure out when and where the lecture will take place. I doubt that anyone would challenge you.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Try walking in confidently and looking like a law student...kind of geeky
Last edited by harrysbar; 3 weeks ago
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
At my uni (LSE) there are some buildings that you can't get into without a student ID card, so you wouldn't be able to if the lecture was in one of these buildings.

At Kings, they have security guards who check ID cards when you enter, so again, you wouldn't be able to there.

Other universities may have more lax security though.
Binay
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
I suspect you've posted this in the wrong forum - surely no ordinary human being would want to sit in a law lecture for an hour...

You can probably sneak in if the building in which the lecture is held doesn't have security, but you'd have to get a copy of someone's timetable to figure out when and where the lecture will take place. I doubt that anyone would challenge you.
haha
I am studying law. There are some topics in law that I cant really be bothered but some of them are really interesting.
Binay
Rep:
?
Thanks for all your replies. Appreciate it.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Binay)
haha
I am studying law. There are some topics in law that I cant really be bothered but some of them are really interesting.
Alright, so your friend's the weird one. Glad to have cleared that up
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A lecture with 100+ people, no one is gonna notice.

A couple of my acquaintances brought their SOs (from other unis) to lectures; I think falling asleep was a common occurrence.
Catherine1973
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Isn;t that a US student thing - where they "audit" the class - which i took to be that they attend lectures but no exams?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (67)
15.8%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (43)
10.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (80)
18.87%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.39%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.85%
How can I be the best version of myself? (127)
29.95%

Watched Threads