s.m999
Badges: 16
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hello.

I’m in year 11, and so obviously sitting my exams in May/ June, and just had a question about the grade boundaries.

For the sciences it was roughly 70% for a 9 across the 3 in June 2018.

How much do you think this will go up by?

I know that it’s impossible to predict (you don’t know whether they’ll go up or down, no- one can tell) etc but there must be trends somewhere. What about the other 9-1 reformed subjects? In the second year how much did the grade boundaries increase? By what percentage should we be expecting?

Please don’t say it’s impossible to tell etc because I know that- but surely there’s trends where we can roughly say it might go up 10% etc?

Thank youuu
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It’s impossible to predict
There are no meaningful trends to go by eg AQA maths have more or less stayed the same, Edexcel maths have gone up and down.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by s.m999)
Please don’t say it’s impossible to tell etc because I know that- but surely there’s trends where we can roughly say it might go up 10% etc?
If you know it's impossible to tell then why are you asking? Do you want people to lie to you?

You can't create a trend analysis based on such a tiny sample size. Someone might assume a trend based on a sample size of 3 and then suddenly the boundaries could go up/down by 10% so what's the point in making a prediction?
xAikx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hello.

I’m in year 11, and so obviously sitting my exams in May/ June, and just had a question about the grade boundaries.

For the sciences it was roughly 70% for a 9 across the 3 in June 2018.

How much do you think this will go up by?

I know that it’s impossible to predict (you don’t know whether they’ll go up or down, no- one can tell) etc but there must be trends somewhere. What about the other 9-1 reformed subjects? In the second year how much did the grade boundaries increase? By what percentage should we be expecting?

Thank youuu
Just aim to get 100% and you’ll be fine. There literally no point in finding out what grade boundaries are like as they can be completely different to when you take them. Just learn as much as you can.
s.m999
(Original post by xAikx)
Just aim to get 100% and you’ll be fine. There literally no point in finding out what grade boundaries are like as they can be completely different to when you take them. Just learn as much as you can.
Fair enough. But it reduces my stress and anxiety having a rough figure like ‘oh i only need 50 out of 70’ for a 99 on combined/ trilogy science

but yeah i get what you mean, thanks
s.m999
(Original post by Notnek)
If you know it's impossible to tell then why are you asking? Do you want people to lie to you?

You can't create a trend analysis based on such a tiny sample size. Someone might assume a trend based on a sample size of 3 and then suddenly the boundaries could go up/down by 10% so what's the point in making a prediction?
yeah i guess, but like the person above gdunne42 said (AQA maths has generally stayed the same) what are the trends for AQA combined science etc and other subjects?
s.m999
(Original post by gdunne42)
It’s impossible to predict
There are no meaningful trends to go by eg AQA maths have more or less stayed the same, Edexcel maths have gone up and down.
what are the trends for the sciences? Because i think we are the second cohort of 9-1 for sciences?
Anthos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The grade boundaries for AQA Eng Lit went down from 2017 to 2018. AQA Maths grade boundaries increased.
rockyball89
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
yeah i guess, but like the person above gdunne42 said (AQA maths has generally stayed the same) what are the trends for AQA combined science etc and other subjects?
Stop worrying about grade boundaries, if you wan't 7/8/9 make sure you get 70%-80% in all mocks you do, if you don't you've failed think of it that way
s.m999
(Original post by rockyball89)
Stop worrying about grade boundaries, if you wan't 7/8/9 make sure you get 70%-80% in all mocks you do, if you don't you've failed think of it that way
i think that’s pretty inaccurate though. For example, for RS, for a 9 you need 89% but for a 9 in biology you need 70%, so yeah i guess but it differs a little
s.m999
(Original post by Anthos)
The grade boundaries for AQA Eng Lit went down from 2017 to 2018. AQA Maths grade boundaries increased.
Oh wow, what about aqa combined science?
blueworld2378
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Seriously, you can't predict grade boundaries. There is no point having this thread as it just causes panic for those that don't realise you can't predict them and are actually just bringing out numbers out of nowhere.
rockyball89
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
i think that’s pretty inaccurate though. For example, for RS, for a 9 you need 89% but for a 9 in biology you need 70%, so yeah i guess but it differs a little
well i've sat two GCSEs last year, i followed that technique and got a 8 and 9, stop worrying about how high or low it would be. Just get 70-80% and you're good for your exams and for RS last year you only needed 65% for edexcel to get a 9 and I got 82%
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You can have a look yourself:

November 2018 Boundaries
June 2018 Boundaries
November 2017 Boundaries
June 2017 Boundaries

The November cohort are retake students so I personally wouldn't use them to predict anything. So really you have a sample size of 2 and even if they have stayed similar for 2 years, who knows whether they will jump up or down this year?

I completely understand that knowing your grade boundaries will reduce stress but it's dangerous to have the attitude, "I only need this mark for this grade". I recommend aiming for a mark much higher than the average so that you can guarantee the grade you want.
Anthos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'll leave these links here so you can compare:

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/st...Y-JUN-2017.PDF (2017 grade boundaries - only has Eng, Maths because they were only subjects that changed to 9-1 in 2017)

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/st...Y-JUN-2018.PDF (2018 GCSE grade boundaries)
rockyball89
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Notnek)
You can have a look yourself:

November 2018 Boundaries
June 2018 Boundaries
November 2017 Boundaries
June 2017 Boundaries

The November cohort are retake students so I personally wouldn't use them to predict anything. So really you have a sample size of 2 and even if they have stayed similar for 2 years, who knows whether they will jump up or down this year?

I completely understand that knowing your grade boundaries will reduce stress but it's dangerous to have the attitude, "I only need this mark for this grade". I recommend aiming for a mark much higher than the average so that you can guarantee the grade you want.
I agree with you, aim high 70-80% stop looking at boundaries and worrying yourself, put in the effort and you'll be laughing in August
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Oh wow, what about aqa combined science?
Combined Science has only been 9-1 for one year so there's no way you can predict anything based on a sample size of one
学生の父
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Leave deciding on grade boundaries and thresholds to the pointy headed men and women on the other side of the examination fence. Once you've stopped writing on exam day, there's nothing more you as a candidate can do.

Your sole responsibility between now and the middle of June is to throw yourself wholeheartedly into studying for your exams. Second-guessing what your marks may or may not be worth is entirely futile.

As the American Reinhold Niebuhr once said, "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
what are the trends for the sciences? Because i think we are the second cohort of 9-1 for sciences?
If you are only the second group how can there be a trend?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
6.67%
They might tell the bully (21)
10%
I don't think they'd understand (36)
17.14%
It might lead to more bullying (74)
35.24%
There's nothing they could do (65)
30.95%

Watched Threads