Graduates, how is medicine as a second degree? Watch

YesIndeed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi all, I would find it useful if some current graduate medical students could answer the following questions:
How did it feel being on a course where the majority of students are considerably younger than you? Did it make it harder to make friends with coursemates?
What is it like being a student in mid twenties?
Did you experience burnout?

Thanks
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Disclaimer: I was an undergrad med student but studied with grads. Now I teach grads who study alongside undergrads in a 5 year course.

(Original post by YesIndeed)
Hi all, I would find it useful if some current graduate medical students could answer the following questions:
How did it feel being on a course where the majority of students are considerably younger than you?
Depends on your outlook and personality. There are many who cope really well and actually become the centre of attention (in a nice way).

Some even become self-proclaimed "medic mums and dads"!

The undergrads will generally value the experience of the grads.

I also don't know if you know, but the grads tend to score better at medical school exams and a lot of honour students are grads. This is perhaps because of a different culture and work ethic.

Did it make it harder to make friends with coursemates?
Not at all. There are a lot of other grads and as I said many undergrads will be willing to be friends! It all depends on your personality rather than age.

What is it like being a student in mid twenties?
Can't answer this question. But remember that doctors are technically students too! There's lots of post-grad exams and learning to be done after graduation so we are all in the same boat - doctor or student!

Did you experience burnout?
From what I experienced? The grads manage to work a lot more efficiently than the undergrads. As I said many score higher while working part-time (many were healthcare professionals so keep working as nurses / physios etc. etc.).

:goodluck:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (70)
15.91%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (82)
18.64%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
13.86%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.91%
How can I be the best version of myself? (135)
30.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed