M!!!
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi, i have a really really important question. i want to study medicine in uni in (2020) and most unis have gcse requirements of 5 As and a minimum of Bs in english and maths. unfortunately i only have 3 A*s and i got a C in maths. My predicted grades for alevels physics chemistry biology and language are all A*s so is it possible that the universities will ignore my gcses? or should i resit english and try to get a 7?
mildhan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by minnyyy)
hi, i have a really really important question. i want to study medicine in uni in (2020) and most unis have gcse requirements of 5 As and a minimum of Bs in english and maths. unfortunately i only have 3 A*s and i got a C in maths. My predicted grades for alevels physics chemistry biology and language are all A*s so is it possible that the universities will ignore my gcses? or should i resit english and try to get a 7?
If you're unsure, the best idea is to phone up the universities and ask. However, medicine is so competitive so if you do not meet their minimum requirements I do not think they will consider you. Some universities do not accept resits either, so this is something you would have to check too if you decide to resit. I recommend you resit the subjects where you don't have the minimum grades for. If you cannot do this, your other option is applying for medicine later as graduate entry instead of undergrad. If you apply as grad I don't think they will look at your GCSEs (you might want to double check this however).
M!!!
Rep:
?
(Original post by mildhan)
If you're unsure, the best idea is to phone up the universities and ask. However, medicine is so competitive so if you do not meet their minimum requirements I do not think they will consider you. Some universities do not accept resits either, so this is something you would have to check too if you decide to resit. I recommend you resit the subjects where you don't have the minimum grades for. If you cannot do this, your other option is applying for medicine later as graduate entry instead of undergrad. If you apply as grad I don't think they will look at your GCSEs (you might want to double check this however).

would i have to do another course like biomedical science first, to apply as grad and isnt that gonna be 3 years
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not all medical schools put that much weight on GCSEs. I would recommend you check the requirements for any (or indeed, all) medical schools and plan to apply tactically to those where GCSEs are not that important.

Graduate entry medicine is much more competitive than undergraduate entry, even if they don't consider GCSEs. It should be considered as a last resort, realistically. There may also be significant financial considerations that would need to be considered for GEM or especially doing UG medicine as a graduate.

Bear in mind you can only apply to a maximum of 4 out of your 5 choices on UCAS as medicine, so your last choice will be a non-medicine course anyway; often people apply to biomedical sciences type courses for this, with the intention of going the GEM route if unsuccessful. So I certainly wouldn't suggest outright planning to all BMS courses if your intention is medicine from the outset - you may as well at least make an attempt at UG entry medicine to start.

You may also find that your perspectives change while on that course anyway; all the "failed medics" I know that went to their non-medicine course ended up doing PhDs in their "basic science" field and staying in academia in that area, rather than applying to GEM.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Look it up:

https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...-for-medicine/
mildhan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Not all medical schools put that much weight on GCSEs. I would recommend you check the requirements for any (or indeed, all) medical schools and plan to apply tactically to those where GCSEs are not that important.

Graduate entry medicine is much more competitive than undergraduate entry, even if they don't consider GCSEs. It should be considered as a last resort, realistically. There may also be significant financial considerations that would need to be considered for GEM or especially doing UG medicine as a graduate.
A lot of medical schools don't care too much about GCSEs, but all of them expect you to meet their minimum requirements (all have minimum requirements). I agree with you that graduate entry should be more of a last resort, however schools like Swansea (double check to see if this is still true) will guarantee an interview for graduate entry medicine if you do something like biomedical sciences or like medical pharmacology at Swansea first.

I think some schools do accept resits tho, I think exeter does (at least they have in the past for a levels)? I recommend just resitting your GCSE subjects where you don't meet the minimum requirements and then just apply directly for medicine. This is probably the easiest and fastest way. But if that doesn't work you still have other options.
Last edited by mildhan; 1 year ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mildhan)
A lot of medical schools don't care too much about GCSEs, but all of them expect you to meet their minimum requirements (all have minimum requirements). I agree with you that graduate entry should be more of a last resort, however schools like Swansea (double check to see if this is still true) will guarantee an interview for graduate entry medicine if you do something like biomedical sciences or like medical pharmacology at Swansea first.

I think some schools do accept resits tho, I think exeter does (at least they have in the past for a levels)? I recommend just resting your GCSE subjects where you don't meet the minimum requirements and then just apply directly for medicine. This is probably the easiest and fastest way. But if that doesn't work you still have other options.
My mistake, I slightly misinterpreted what the OP was asking - that said, there may be some medical schools which do not have specific required grades at GCSE, or that accept only a C in Maths. I believe the Cambridge ATs indicated they were phasing out GCSE grade requirements there (and they also don't weigh GCSEs very heavily otherwise in the process), for example.

Like you say, I do think resitting the GCSE Maths is probably not a bad idea, although it would probably be worth checking as that's just a vague notion rather than something I can think to point
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
M!!!
Rep:
?
(Original post by mildhan)A lot of medical schools don't care too much about GCSEs, but all of them expect you to meet their minimum requirements (all have minimum requirements). I agree with you that graduate entry should be more of a last resort, however schools like Swansea (double check to see if this is still true) will guarantee an interview for graduate entry medicine if you do something like biomedical sciences or like medical pharmacology at Swansea first.

I think some schools do accept resits tho, I think exeter does (at least they have in the past for a levels)? I recommend just resting your GCSE subjects where you don't meet the minimum requirements and then just apply directly for medicine. This is probably the easiest and fastest way. But if that doesn't work you still have other options.

yeah I'm going to resit english and hopefully get a 7 (A), but i'd still only have 4 As and the entry requirements for most universities are 5 As. The only uni with low entry requirements that i found is aston university. btw do you do medicine?
M!!!
Rep:
?
thx for this it made things so much easier
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thx for this it made things so much easier
It should be up to date but you should check the sites of individual medical schools in which you are interested.
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Only UEA, Keele, Lancaster, Manchester, Nottingham, Lincoln, Sheffield, Southampton and Sunderland require 5 or more As at GCSE these days (9 out of 35), though many more score you on your GCSE results as part of their selection process (Dundee, Edinburgh, Aston, Birmingham, Cardiff, HYMS, Kings, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, QUB), though again, for some a stellar UKCAT can balance out weaker GCSEs.
Your issue is going to be your C in english. Currently, the unis open to you (and at which you stand a chance of an interview) are Aberdeen, ARU, Cambridge, Exeter, Glasgow, Imperial, Newcastle, Plymouth and St Andrews (if you have a 5 rather than a C). A UKCAT upwards of 675 should get you an interview at 7 or those and a very strong BMAT at the other 2! A lower UKCAT could secure an interview at Aberdeen (given your strong predictions), ARU and Plymouth.
So I guess it depends how well you think you can do on admissions tests!
Med schools will reject you if you do not meet their minimum requirements, however strong your other stats are.
As pointed out, resitting your english will increase your options a bit. It is about applying strategically to your strengths.
I have not included the new med schools for next year, as I am not sure they have fully released their selection criteria yet
Last edited by GANFYD; 1 year ago
RacJM
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had to resit eng Lang to get a 6 rather than a 5. I do had the required amount of As though. Do you have another gcse that would be an A on resit? That would open up your choices more. The other option if that doesn't work is to apply with your A level grades achieved. So If you don't get a place in 2020 apply with your achieved A levels in 2021. Though you would still need 6 in eng lang. Cambridge say it's a holistic approach but you would have to take the bmat.
shreya kc
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey im applying for 2020 medicine as well, i didnt do that well in my gcses either however i looked at every single medicine univeristy and made a list of ones i can applying to, and doing that was reassuring my insta is shreya_kc if you want to talk
5thchild
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shreya kc)
hey im applying for 2020 medicine as well, i didnt do that well in my gcses either however i looked at every single medicine univeristy and made a list of ones i can applying to, and doing that was reassuring my insta is shreya_kc if you want to talk
My daughter didn’t do too well in her GCSE’s either and she plans to apply strategically to uni’s which aren’t GCSE heavy (providing A levels and UCAT are good)
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 5thchild)
My daughter didn’t do too well in her GCSE’s either and she plans to apply strategically to uni’s which aren’t GCSE heavy (providing A levels and UCAT are good)
The UCAT is key for your daughter, as a score of 680+ will open many doors for her. I see from other threads she is doing a lot of WE/volunteering, and whilst this is great for what she will gain from it personally, in terms of application to med schools, there are currently only 2 med schools making selections based on PS (or at least their equvalent of it); Keele and Sunderland. Nottingham also use it as a second sift if applicants meet academic criteria, assssment of which includes GCSEs. It is possible even this will stop as the GMC have advised that PS is not a recommended means of selecting med students.
So if she is enjoying her EC stuff, great, go with it, but the majority of her focus will need to be on the UCAT as it can make the difference between a fairly guaranteed interview, where she can talk about all the things she has learned in her WE, or having just a couple of unis to choose from and lots of anxiety over interview offers.
Good luck!
5thchild
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
The UCAT is key for your daughter, as a score of 680+ will open many doors for her. I see from other threads she is doing a lot of WE/volunteering, and whilst this is great for what she will gain from it personally, in terms of application to med schools, there are currently only 2 med schools making selections based on PS (or at least their equvalent of it); Keele and Sunderland. Nottingham also use it as a second sift if applicants meet academic criteria, assssment of which includes GCSEs. It is possible even this will stop as the GMC have advised that PS is not a recommended means of selecting med students.
So if she is enjoying her EC stuff, great, go with it, but the majority of her focus will need to be on the UCAT as it can make the difference between a fairly guaranteed interview, where she can talk about all the things she has learned in her WE, or having just a couple of unis to choose from and lots of anxiety over interview offers.
Good luck!
Thankyou Ganfyd, your input is valued
5thchild
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi
(Original post by GANFYD)
Good luck!
And of course, the 3 uni’s you mentioned require GCSE’s well above her grades
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 5thchild)
Hi

And of course, the 3 uni’s you mentioned require GCSE’s well above her grades
They are indeed some of the unis that still state a minimum number of A grades at GCSE. I have posted above about the others and those that use GCSE in selection.
She needs strong A levels predictions and an excellent UCAT, then can look at Aberdeen, Glasgow, Newcastle, SGUL, Plymouth, Bristol, Exeter, ARU, and possibly St Andrews (who are a bit sketchy on GCSE requirments. This obviously depends on her exact GCSE breakdown as some requre the A to be in certain subjects. She will however need a UCAT of 680+ for some of these, with Plymouth historically having the lowest cut off and was <600 this year
LillyAllen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I wouldn't worry to much about GCSEs. Your A level grades are really good and better than most! but call up if you have a particular university you want to apply too as you could save yourself a 'wasted' university choice.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by LillyAllen)
I wouldn't worry to much about GCSEs. Your A level grades are really good and better than most! but call up if you have a particular university you want to apply too as you could save yourself a 'wasted' university choice.
GCSEs are very important to many medical schools. Most have minimum requirements, at least in maths and English, and if you do not meet these then your application will not be considered further, regardless of how good your other stats are. Some also score GCSEs as part of their selection criteria for interview, so as you say, it is easy to waste a UCAS choice when there may be other med schools to which an individual's stats are better suited. Medcine is all about applying to your strengths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34%
No (493)
66%

Watched Threads