The Student Room Group

Re doing GCSE Science

Hey, so I am currently a 2nd year A - Level student doing Maths, Further Maths and Economics and I will hopefully be going to uni next year (Leeds) to study maths. I got DD in Science + Additional science in GCSE and I was thinking of retaking those when I go to university.

Is it worth it/recommended I do this?

Thanks,
xAikx
Original post by xAikx
Hey, so I am currently a 2nd year A - Level student doing Maths, Further Maths and Economics and I will hopefully be going to uni next year (Leeds) to study maths. I got DD in Science + Additional science in GCSE and I was thinking of retaking those when I go to university.

Is it worth it/recommended I do this?

Thanks,
xAikx

I really don't think this would be worth it. Having got A level grades and being at uni, your GCSE grades in specific subjects (especially outside maths and English ) would be worth almost nothing and you will already have a high workload from your uni course. You are very unlikely to find anything held back from you due to your science grades.
Additionally you would need to take the new specification which is generally considered to be more difficult in terms of the content so you may require even more time to be devoted to it.
Taking the exams so much later would be obvious also so it's not like they would look like they were taken at the time.
Basically I can't see your science grades holding you back so I wouldn't worry about it and just get on with your degree once you get to it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would definitely advise against! A degree such as maths is regarded highly and 2 D's in science (which, although it is a 'core' subject, is unbelievably rarely required or requested for any job outside science) should not affect your future prospects in anyway. Although GCSEs are referred to as 'easy', its extra work nonetheless! Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by sophswfc4
I would definitely advise against! A degree such as maths is regarded highly and 2 D's in science (which, although it is a 'core' subject, is unbelievably rarely required or requested for any job outside science) should not affect your future prospects in anyway. Although GCSEs are referred to as 'easy', its extra work nonetheless! Good luck :smile:

Tbh, I’m sometimes tempted to re do my GCSE maths just to get a 9 xd

Quick Reply

Latest