The Student Room Group

Give shamima begum back her uk citizenship

She was a vunerable 15 year old girl who this country and her family failed to protect from the influence of Islamic state.
Young girls are very easily influenced, especially by men promising a better life. It is clear that she was brainwashed and groomed. Religion is powerful, she believes that this world is a complete lie and it’s the world after that is important.
She is now asking for help and to get out of the situation she is in and she gets her citizenship revoked?? So she is now stateless which is illegal, with a new born child and no one to support her.
I’m by no means justifying her decision to become an I.S. Bride. I am asking for her to be shown a little mercy. As I believe she is no great threat to this country so long as she is monitored and de radicalised. I am a similar age to her and I just want her to be returned to her family. Despite mistakes she has made in the past.

Scroll to see replies

It should be returned to her because I believe she's currently stateless, not because of the fact that she was apparently brainwashed at 15. She was old enough to know right from wrong and until recently, she's 19 now, was making comments about how she doesn't regret anything and how she enjoyed living in IS where seeing human heads in the bin was just part and parcel of everyday life.

That being said, no one should be left stateless, regardless of what they've done.
Reply 2
Is everyone here clapped? 15 year olds are deciding their future by picking GCSEs for their A-Levels and career paths, and then she joins ISIS. She chose her future and now she can live it!
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It should be returned to her because I believe she's currently stateless, not because of the fact that she was apparently brainwashed at 15. She was old enough to know right from wrong and until recently, she's 19 now, was making comments about how she doesn't regret anything and how she enjoyed living in IS where seeing human heads in the bin was just part and parcel of everyday life.

That being said, no one should be left stateless, regardless of what they've done.

What's wrong with being stateless? You'll get stuck in an airport like Tom Hanks in The Terminal; and hence be forced to live off Starbucks paninis?

Part of revoking her citizenship, potentially, is that it is reasonably believed by the Home Office that she could acquire citizenship of another country. In between the revocation and the acquiring another citizenship, the person is technically stateless. But that period needn't be significantly long.
yeah bring her back then lock her up - problem solved :smile:
Under international law she probably should, although that’s for the courts to decide

Let’s pick up on the other points.

Vulnerable 15 year old who this country failed: no, she failed us.
She is now asking to get out: then she should leave, we should not send in anybody to go Andy pick her up. She wouldn’t be asking this if ISIS were winning
Show her a little mercy: what about ISIS showing the Yazidis mercy
She is no great threat: said in interviews that heads in bins didn’t faze her, that she didn’t make a mistake and the Manchester bombing was justified. She is clearly huge threat monitored or not. Child should be taken away from her as well.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Leave her in Syria to face Syrian justice and take the baby away from her. To assert that a 15 year old does not have the capacity to understand what joining a terrorist organisation entails is laughable.
The dumbass even expressed that the Manchester Arena bombings were justified a few days ago. Pretty sure that qualifies her as a threat.
(edited 5 years ago)
She knew well what she was getting into, she deserves everything she got and is getting. /thread
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Cecelia Tallice
She was a vunerable 15 year old girl who this country and her family failed to protect from the influence of Islamic state.
Young girls are very easily influenced, especially by men promising a better life. It is clear that she was brainwashed and groomed. Religion is powerful, she believes that this world is a complete lie and it’s the world after that is important.
She is now asking for help and to get out of the situation she is in and she gets her citizenship revoked?? So she is now stateless which is illegal, with a new born child and no one to support her.
I’m by no means justifying her decision to become an I.S. Bride. I am asking for her to be shown a little mercy. As I believe she is no great threat to this country so long as she is monitored and de radicalised. I am a similar age to her and I just want her to be returned to her family. Despite mistakes she has made in the past.

you're placing a lot of blame on her parents

from your profile pic I can tell you're an adolescent/teenage female - do you share everything you watch online with your parents? or do you want your parents to monitor all your internet activities?
I'm guessing the answer is no - so you can't expect the parents to monitor their daughter's internet activities when you wouldn't want that for yourself either

other than that I agree she should be tried in the UK - revoking her citizenship was a political move more than anything
by doing what was done they only reaffirm's isis's claim that Muslim's living in the West will never truly be accepted
agreed with OP

If she had shown any remorse or regret for her actions, and if she had said she missed her family and the UK and it was a mistake, I would be more inclined to agree with you. This girl has said that she doesn't regret any of it, decapitated heads in a bin didn't phase her and she would do it all again if she could. The only reason she wants to come back is so she can have her baby under the NHS and scrounge of the benefits system. I say keep her in Syria. She's 19 and has no remorse
So we can trust 15 year olds to plan out their entire futures, but their brains aren't developed enough to decide whether or not joining a terrorist group set on bringing down the country she was raised in is the right thing to do??? Not buying it. She's 19 now, fully fledged adult, and she's not sorry. She's just s*** the bed when she realised that ISIS won't provide child benefits for her newborn.
I'm not claiming to support her, but I feel like the government needs to standardise its approach to young people. It can't pick and choose who it deems old enough to be making their own decision.

The voting age is 18 because they don't think anyone under that age is capable of knowing their own mind enough to make that kind of decision. Yet a 15 year old girl who was groomed by people who are experts at grooming apparently knew exactly what she was doing and should be held accountable for her actions? What about the police and teachers who knew she was being groomed and did nothing to protect her? Where is their accountability?

On top of that, what's the point of having de-radicalisation programmes if we're not going to use them? And is our justice system incapable of dealing justice for her crimes?
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
yeah bring her back then lock her up - problem solved :smile:

Then she may use her learned skills of converting and radicalising on the inmates, and probably be let out in 10 years to resume her extremist activities. Great idea, that :flute:

How did this country fail her? We didn't make her go to Syria.Religious indoctrination is no excuse.Plenty of people are raised in religious families and become atheists.Many of them remain religious but don't become terrorists.She is not stateless she is now a member of the Islamic state.That that state will soon no longer exist is not our problem.Joining Isis is not a mistake.She was clearly a bloodthirsty vile creature if she even contemplated joining such a group.The only reason she wants to come back is because they are losing.Sorry but nah she can go to hell for all I care.I wouldn't waste any tears on her.
Kick her ass out of here, she chose to go without remorse got both of her previous children killed and it took the 3rd for her to realise that it wasn't a good place for the child, not her.
Original post by OmnomnOmnigul
I'm not claiming to support her, but I feel like the government needs to standardise its approach to young people. It can't pick and choose who it deems old enough to be making their own decision.

The voting age is 18 because they don't think anyone under that age is capable of knowing their own mind enough to make that kind of decision. Yet a 15 year old girl who was groomed by people who are experts at grooming apparently knew exactly what she was doing and should be held accountable for her actions? What about the police and teachers who knew she was being groomed and did nothing to protect her? Where is their accountability?

On top of that, what's the point of having de-radicalisation programmes if we're not going to use them? And is our justice system incapable of dealing justice for her crimes?

15 is old enough to decipher right from wrong. Plus she is 19 now and still stands by her decison.

People are responsible for their actions. Don’t blame the police or teachers for this. We do use our de-radicalisation programmes. The issue with the justice system is proving she committing any tangible crime beyond joining and aiding a terror group ans fraud, even if everybody knows deep down that she did.
Apparently she isn't stateless, she is entitled to a bangeldesh citizenship:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-shamima-begum

https://twitter.com/skynewsbreak/sta...082196485?s=21

got this info from Andrew97, thanks.
A 15 year old is not necessarily always mentally a child, even though i legally support that definition here in the UK and i find it useful though arbitrary.
Original post by Notoriety
What's wrong with being stateless? You'll get stuck in an airport like Tom Hanks in The Terminal; and hence be forced to live off Starbucks paninis?

Part of revoking her citizenship, potentially, is that it is reasonably believed by the Home Office that she could acquire citizenship of another country. In between the revocation and the acquiring another citizenship, the person is technically stateless. But that period needn't be significantly long.

Hasn't Bangladesh already stated that they want nothing to do with her?

Latest

Trending

Trending