2nd Loan (plan 2) when currently paying back plan 1 Watch

Stehyatt82
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi All

Recently I changed jobs and just earn enough to take over all of the household bills so that my wife could go to college and then university and finally have a career she is happy with (She has got a place at Edge Hill in September 2019 - So proud of her).

18 Years ago I attended university. I attended a course which wasn't for me so changed course after the first year. I had to take a foundation degree to do this. Unfortunately after passing the foundation degree and getting onto a degree course my father passed away one Christmas day.

After this had happened, home-life fell apart; and after several attempts at getting back on with my course I had to quit university in order to take a full time job to pay bills at home and get my mum (and then home) back on track.

I never went back to university as years had passed and I had a home of my own and bills to take care of and life got in the way.

What we have realised is that once my wife graduates she will be able to do the same for me. I could come out of work and go into full time education again. As I have gotten older my career asperations have changed drastically. One area I would like to be able to study in and gain a career would be within Dietetics and Nutrition. Food and Healthy lifestyle is a huge area of interest to me in my personal life so taking that on as a career would be a dream. I would probably be looking to get into a Dietetics and Nutrition Degree.

Obviously I know I will need to do the relevant access course due to length of time out of full time education. I will be 40 when/if I get to apply.

My question is (sorry for the rambling), would I be able to get a 2nd student loan if I never completed my first degree? That was on plan 1. As I am earning just over the threshold I am paying this back currently at £8-ish a month I think. Would I go onto plan 2 if eligible?

Thanks in advance
Ste
Stehyatt82
Rep:
?
bump^
SFE Aaron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Stehyatt82)
Hi All

Recently I changed jobs and just earn enough to take over all of the household bills so that my wife could go to college and then university and finally have a career she is happy with (She has got a place at Edge Hill in September 2019 - So proud of her).

18 Years ago I attended university. I attended a course which wasn't for me so changed course after the first year. I had to take a foundation degree to do this. Unfortunately after passing the foundation degree and getting onto a degree course my father passed away one Christmas day.

After this had happened, home-life fell apart; and after several attempts at getting back on with my course I had to quit university in order to take a full time job to pay bills at home and get my mum (and then home) back on track.

I never went back to university as years had passed and I had a home of my own and bills to take care of and life got in the way.

What we have realised is that once my wife graduates she will be able to do the same for me. I could come out of work and go into full time education again. As I have gotten older my career asperations have changed drastically. One area I would like to be able to study in and gain a career would be within Dietetics and Nutrition. Food and Healthy lifestyle is a huge area of interest to me in my personal life so taking that on as a career would be a dream. I would probably be looking to get into a Dietetics and Nutrition Degree.

Obviously I know I will need to do the relevant access course due to length of time out of full time education. I will be 40 when/if I get to apply.

My question is (sorry for the rambling), would I be able to get a 2nd student loan if I never completed my first degree? That was on plan 1. As I am earning just over the threshold I am paying this back currently at £8-ish a month I think. Would I go onto plan 2 if eligible?

Thanks in advance
Ste
Hi, how many years of the previous course did you attend? As this will usually be the deciding factor as to how many years of funding we can offer. In terms of the repayments you would keep the plan 1 for the previous loan but also be on plan 2 for the second. Thanks, Aaron.
Stehyatt82
Rep:
?
Hi Aaron

With the way things were at home I never completed my first year after the foundation degree (kept trying but kept being pulled out with stuff at home. I had to eventually just gave up).
SFE Aaron
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi Aaron

With the way things were at home I never completed my first year after the foundation degree (kept trying but kept being pulled out with stuff at home. I had to eventually just gave up).
Hi, so many years in total did you attend and then leave? Thanks, Aaron.
Stehyatt82
Rep:
?
According to SLC 2001 start uni. 2002 would of been foundation degree 2004 would been start of first year (when all went to pot) on off until left 2006.
SFE Aaron
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
According to SLC 2001 start uni. 2002 would of been foundation degree 2004 would been start of first year (when all went to pot) on off until left 2006.
Hi, if you like we can look further into this for you and help you with the years of entitlement. Can you send us a private message here; http://m.me/SFEngland please? Once we have access to your account we can look in to this further. Thanks, Aaron.
Stehyatt82
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Aaron)
Hi, if you like we can look further into this for you and help you with the years of entitlement. Can you send us a private message here; http://m.me/SFEngland please? Once we have access to your account we can look in to this further. Thanks, Aaron.
Message sent
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (71)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (76)
15.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (197)
39.64%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (26)
5.23%
No particular grades needed (33)
6.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise