Is there a case for the legalisation of recreational drug use? Watch

4/19
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I would say no. This is because while I fully support the right for the individual to do whatever they want, because I have to subsidise it I disagree. I think lots of things are stupid, weed is one of them. However, if I did not have to pay your medical bills and benefits I would not care. In order to legalise Mary Jane, we need to privatise the NHS.
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by 4/19)
I would say no. This is because while I fully support the right for the individual to do whatever they want, because I have to subsidise it I disagree. I think lots of things are stupid, weed is one of them. However, if I did not have to pay your medical bills and benefits I would not care. In order to legalise Mary Jane, we need to privatise the NHS.
Interesting stance! I honestly thought when opening your thread you were going to go through all the health benefits and reasons for using drugs!
But surely privatising the NHS would mean that people who may involuntarily go through some sort of illness related to prolonged and repeated use of a drug, will no longer be able to afford the healthcare they would need to get better again. This could happen to anyone, even you. It wouldn't necessarily mean that you would not care. It could be a loved one who gets affected?
Last edited by CheeseIsVeg; 7 months ago
the beer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The vast majority of recreational drug use is non-problematic and drug laws don't seem to have much impact on usage. Much of the burden on the NHS comes from users not knowing what they are taking, legalise and regulate carefully and we can reduce the cost to the NHS.
Underscore__
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
We have a very silly approach to drug laws in this country, as do most western countries. Clearly our laws don’t work, people take drugs anyway and it fuels gang violence. Legalising drugs would probably end up being a benefit to taxpayers; less policing resources on drugs, possibly lower NHS expense and the government would tax drugs. I don’t really see any reason to ban drugs
username4454836
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
We can tax the **** out of it like we do with tobacco which pays for its self on the NHS.

I think we can all agree that the war on drugs failed a long time ago.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
yes - there is a very strong case for legalising recreational drug use.

Its not something I care that strongly about to be honest - I can see the arguments for both sides.. but to deny that there wasn't a strong case for legalisation would be silly.. its a very logical position. Keeping them illigal is also a very logical position, except that its undermined by the legality of alcohol/cigarettes etc.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by 4/19)
If cost is the issue, then the current state of affairs is vastly more costly than legalisation. Crime prevention and imprisonment of people on drugs charges is massively expensive. And then there is the whole gang culture / violence that hinges on illegal drugs. If you were to legalise drugs, in theory, most of that would disappear over night. You would still have addicts but the cost of policing and enforcement of drugs laws would fall to zero. I am not convinced that we would see an epidemic in drug taking unless the economy really crashed and burned.

Oh yes - Brexit! :-(
username3883544
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I do not want to help drug barons in Colombia and elsewhere.
HighOnGoofballs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Legalize all drugs, make people pay for self-inflicting non-emergency healthcare and be done with it.
username4499936
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by DSutch)
I do not want to help drug barons in Colombia and elsewhere.
Well banning them is probably a fine way to help them.By making them illegal you hand power to the criminals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.1%
No (233)
75.9%

Watched Threads