Explain & Analyse three theories on the effect of pressure groups on democracy

Watch
hhneino_x
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, just need a little help with this 9 marker, if anyone knows what the theories effect pressure group on democracy, that would be helpful...
Think it’s about
New right
Pluralism
And elitism
But I dunno what I’m supposed to write in each paragraph :/
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do not study politics, so take my answer with a pinch of salt, but I think I have an idea of what you are talking about. My friend does politics, but the net also has some great resources (of which I will use right here). This looks like it is with the AQA spec, and with three points equating to nine marks, it looks like they want each point to comprise three logical chains of argument (AO1 - knowledge of political institutions = 6 marks; AO2 - analysis of political information = 3 marks). Sorry if some of this may be of extremely low quality or incoherent aha. I also do not have a third point, unfortunately.

Anyway, on with the show Mr Prime Minister...

• Pluralism is the theory that political power is widely distributed in a society, with pressure groups acting as agents to assist this distribution, with the government being responsible for a wide range of causes and interests. Pluralists believe that pressure-group activity is an active element that drives a democratic society through the competition of different pressure/interest groups (with no single dominating group and power being shared between them, evidence being seen in R. A. Dahl's Who Governs? in 1961) for influence over decision makers, as they agree on the fact that individuals themselves have little say over political decisions in democracies. Pluralists hold the idea that the government is the neutral arbiter between pressure groups, and they see pressure groups as essential for a democracy to continue existing.
  • On the contrary, elitism is the theory that power is concentrated and not evenly distributed. Thus, some pressure group have more power than others (e.g. economics groups being commonly seen as more powerful than others, especially business groups). Elitism induces a democratic society because while governments are selective bodies with their own agendas rather than neutral arbiters, they must listen to everyone, regardless of their power and status, as they have been voted into power (something that they should recognise). That being said, the unequal distribution of power posited by the theory of elitism implies that there may be issues for the body politic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (47)
24.35%
Less motivated (146)
75.65%

Watched Threads