The Student Room Group

Maths and Further Mathematics Inquiry June 2019 Examination

i would like to inquire about several details surrounding the IAL Registration. I have several questions and would love it if you answered them for me.

(1.) Are Further Mathematics and Mathematics two different subjects?
(2.)Can I do Further Mathematics without doing Mathematics?
(3.)Do I need to finish P1, P2, P3, and P4 to be able to study and understand Further Mathematics? If no, then which of these units are enough to do so?
(4.)If I enter the cash-in code for, say, Physics and I didn't do so well, can I repeat that unit in a later session and have the new unit mark registered onto my IAS certificate? If yes, how can I do it?
(5.)If my Physics mark in January wasn't that good, can I drop physics and not do the rest of the units and still get an IAS Certificate for my other subjects without having the physics mark on the certificate?
(6.)If I had already done an M1 exam for IAL in Mathematics, do I have to do it again for IAL in Further Mathematics?
(7.) this is my plan in a scenario:
I am planning to do an IAS in Mathematics and an IAS in Further Mathematics in June 2019. For the IAS in Mathematics I will do P1 and P2, and for the IAS in Further Mathematics I will need to do FP1. According to the Specification on the Edexcel/Pearson website, the unit requirements for an IAS in "Pure Mathematics" are P1, P2, and FP1. so, does that mean by completing an IAS in Mathematics and in Further Mathematics, I will also earn an IAS in Pure Mathematics, counting as 3 separate subjects in my final IAS certificate(of course, this is assuming I entered the cash-in code for IAS in Pure Mathematics when registering for the session)?

Please help me out as I am in a state of confusion with the registration deadline coming up.
Reply 1
(1) Yes.
(2) No.
(3). Not that familiar with IAL.
(4) You can re-sit, cash-in again and get another certificate.
(5) Yes. Subjects only appear on the certificate if they are cashed-in.
(6) You can't use the same unit in both Maths and Further Maths. You must pick another unit.
(7) You can't use a unit in more than 1 AS qualification so you couldn't get an AS in Pure Maths too.

Can't 1-00% guarantee these answers as I'm in the Uk and not that familiar with IAL.
Original post by Compost
(1) Yes.
(2) No.
(3). Not that familiar with IAL.
(4) You can re-sit, cash-in again and get another certificate.
(5) Yes. Subjects only appear on the certificate if they are cashed-in.
(6) You can't use the same unit in both Maths and Further Maths. You must pick another unit.
(7) You can't use a unit in more than 1 AS qualification so you couldn't get an AS in Pure Maths too.

Can't 1-00% guarantee these answers as I'm in the Uk and not that familiar with IAL.

Thak you for your answer.
However, there is a problem with the last question. It seems that on the specification the ONLY requirements for an IAS in Pure Mathematics are P1,P2, and FP1. Going with what you said:
"You can't use a unit in more than 1 AS qualification so you couldn't get an AS in Pure Maths too."
Does this mean it is an absolutely impossible case to ever have an IAS in Mathematics, Further Mathematics, and Pure Mathematics?
Reply 3
Original post by Mohammed Nazar
However, there is a problem with the last question. It seems that on the specification the ONLY requirements for an IAS in Pure Mathematics are P1,P2, and FP1. Going with what you said:
"You can't use a unit in more than 1 AS qualification so you couldn't get an AS in Pure Maths too."
Does this mean it is an absolutely impossible case to ever have an IAS in Mathematics, Further Mathematics, and Pure Mathematics?

I think so - it would be pretty pointless anyway as anyone who knew anything about it would know you'd just repeated the same stuff to get another qualification. It would make me think the worse of someone.
Original post by Compost

I asked my school's A-Level Coordinator about point number 6, and he said yes I can; I can do, for example, an M1 exam and cash-in for both Mathematics and Further Mathematics. So, are you really sure about what you said? I thought maybe there's a difference due to me taking IAL, but the differences between IAL and normal A-Level are usually subtle, so yes please help me out
Reply 5
I asked my school's A-Level Coordinator about point number 6, and he said yes I can; I can do, for example, an M1 exam and cash-in for both Mathematics and Further Mathematics. So, are you really sure about what you said? I thought maybe there's a difference due to me taking IAL, but the differences between IAL and normal A-Level are usually subtle, so yes please help me out

I wasn't sure as I've never dealt with IAL but I have looked it up and I am right.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/9781446925201_IAL_Maths_Iss3.pdf page 16
Students who are awarded certificates in both International Advanced Level Mathematics and International Advanced Level Further Mathematics must use unit results from 10 different teaching modules.
Original post by Compost
I wasn't sure as I've never dealt with IAL but I have looked it up and I am right.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20Advanced%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/9781446925201_IAL_Maths_Iss3.pdf page 16
Students who are awarded certificates in both International Advanced Level Mathematics and International Advanced Level Further Mathematics must use unit results from 10 different teaching modules.

yup ive checked for the New 2019 specification and its says 12 different modules so youre right. looks like our school A-Level coordinator doesnt know his shite.

anyways, since i have to do that many units ive resolved to only do an IAS in Further Mathematics.

thank you so much for your help.

it isn't, but it is impossible for the new syllabus unless you are doing D1 because the first sitting for the papers are in such a way that there's a total of 5 math unit, excluding D1 and for a certificate you need 3 units completed so that means you can't get both AS but for old syllabus you could as all units were able to be sat in one year and also you can't get an mathematics and pure mathematics certificate because mathematics needs p1 and p2 and also pure math requires same. you don't get them together if t
p1 and p2 were Both available in Jan and June so you sit for the papers twice. it's the same case with me in doing further mathematics but I can't get an AS certificate for further mathematics because of the way the first sittings for the new papers are

Quick Reply

Latest