The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Uni and reapplying

So recently I decided my course wasn't the one for me (I applied through Clearing) and was looking to do Philosophy, Ethics, Religion at a different Uni who has requirements for AAB. In my A-Levels, I got an ABCE (136 UCAS points, which is the same points as AAB) and I was wondering if this uni would accept me based on my grades.

You can also add your own experiences if you're like me and you decided to drop out of uni and then apply for a different course/uni and how it easy/hard it was to do so. Any other advice regarding my student finance is also welcome!
Original post by Kralisa
So recently I decided my course wasn't the one for me (I applied through Clearing) and was looking to do Philosophy, Ethics, Religion at a different Uni who has requirements for AAB. In my A-Levels, I got an ABCE (136 UCAS points, which is the same points as AAB) and I was wondering if this uni would accept me based on my grades.

You can also add your own experiences if you're like me and you decided to drop out of uni and then apply for a different course/uni and how it easy/hard it was to do so. Any other advice regarding my student finance is also welcome!

Right, so student finance pay for up to 4 years, but I would speak to them because I believe it does change for a second degree (I know you dropped out but better to check)

And the best thing to do is just apply, I missed my grades by about 40 UCAS points (Old System) and still got in, it depends on what else you can offer, but you aren't too far away. So you may be in with a chance.
Original post by Kralisa

Contact admissions and ask. Its likely they can tell you. If they say yes then they will expect a fresh ucas application.

Be warned you get one gift year. Make sure its the right choice.
Original post by Kralisa

If a university asks for AAB - usually it means they do not ask for UCAS points, only a lot of the lower ranked universities do this like 112 UCAS points or 120 and as such they won't take the equivalent grades based on UCAS points obtained. You can ask them via email or try via clearing.
Reply 4
Original post by Rhythmical
If a university asks for AAB - usually it means they do not ask for UCAS points, only a lot of the lower ranked universities do this like 112 UCAS points or 120 and as such they won't take the equivalent grades based on UCAS points obtained. You can ask them via email or try via clearing.

Wow I didn't know that they don't usually ask for UCAS points! I'll definitely be sure to email the admins office tomorrow to make sure (:
Hey,

I thought I'd drop by and give my experience.
I left my course but stayed with the same University, and changing course was surprisingly... unofficial. I spoke to the course leader and he asked why I wanted to do his course - what interested me, and really sought some answers out of me. Something I was kind of expecting but kind of not. He was extremely happy to let me on after a little talk and sent the paperwork through for me. I barely had to do anything.

I'm now enjoying my course, on my second year in Media. I switched from Computing.
Josh :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
Right, so student finance pay for up to 4 years, but I would speak to them because I believe it does change for a second degree (I know you dropped out but better to check)

And the best thing to do is just apply, I missed my grades by about 40 UCAS points (Old System) and still got in, it depends on what else you can offer, but you aren't too far away. So you may be in with a chance.

Yeah hopefully - I checked student finance and if you change course in the first year then I shouldn't be given a lesser loan, but I'm sure they'll tell me when the uni decides to contact them.
Reply 7
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey,

I thought I'd drop by and give my experience.
I left my course but stayed with the same University, and changing course was surprisingly... unofficial. I spoke to the course leader and he asked why I wanted to do his course - what interested me, and really sought some answers out of me. Something I was kind of expecting but kind of not. He was extremely happy to let me on after a little talk and sent the paperwork through for me. I barely had to do anything.

I'm now enjoying my course, on my second year in Media. I switched from Computing.
Josh :smile:

Haha thank you for your input! It's great that you got the support you needed - but I'm looking at different unis to change my course so I'm expecting to go through via UCAS; and I've already written up my personal statement so I'm very keen haha.
Have you read the first post of the Transfer FAQ thread at the top of the applications, clearing and ucas forum?
The student finance issue will be fine - lots of people drop out of one course and start another (for whatever reason) and as long as your new course only lasts 3 years, there won't be a problem.

You may find that the Unis you are applying to now will be a little bit lenient with grades if they still have vacancies, as they will like the fact that your grades are already achieved and not predicted. So you need to get on the phone to Admissions asap, and Good Luck

Quick Reply

Latest