English panic - Please give help Watch

damhashj
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So I'm basically panicking about English Lit & Lang, could someone please outline what I should do for each subject and topic within. I would be really, really grateful.

English Lit - Macbeth, Inspector Calls - Power & Conflict poetry
erinramsden3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
for all of the poems i would annotate them (use mr bruff/ a textbook etc), then find 5 ish quotes for each and make sure you know them thoroughly. use flash cards to learn the themes, structure and form, context and poet’s intent. split the poems up into groups/pairings (eg nature poems, war poems etc) and practice writing some comparisons or essays. maybe ask your teacher for feedback. try to do around 30/45 mins a day as if you work little and often it will stick in your mind more
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
macbeth and inspector calls, make notes on themes, context and characters, and try learning quotes for both theme and characters. some you'll find will cross over so you won't end up learning as many quotes as you think. i really liked mindmaps for themes but you may prefer other ways of learning- videos, bullet point notes, tables, posters... it's about finding what works for you.
most important thing imo is exam practice. do tons of this, whether it's essay plans, essays in exam conditions, open book essays, untimed essays... just keep doing essays and giving them to your teacher to mark. get familiar with the mark scheme too so you know the a0s you need to address.
for the poems i learnt about 5 quotes per poem as well as some points on themes/structure/context and just made lots of comparison essay plans and learnt them
good english resources are quizlet, mrbruff, mr salles teaches english, sparknotes, cliffnotes, shmoop, litcharts, gradesaver and genius to name a few.
x.emilye
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Check out my article about how I got straight 9s, including 9s in English Lit and Language
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/rev...stay-motivated
I did the same books and poems as you

For both Macbeth and AIC, focus make sure you understand the plot, especially the key extracts in Macbeth
Do essay plans and make notes/mindmaps with quote analysis
For poetry, annotate your poems with context points and try too come up with different interpretations
Comparative essay plans help also
I think writing some essays and asking your teachers to mark them well help a lot and ensure that you take their feedback on board. Read other people's to get some inspiration - the same principle can be applied to Language - best of luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (59)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (38)
9.77%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (74)
19.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
15.17%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (43)
11.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (116)
29.82%

Watched Threads