d0nkey_dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m very interested in both these courses, but idk which one to choose. Is maybe doing natsci then getting a masters in neuroscience an option? help!!
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It would be an option, yes.
If you wanted to pursue neuroscience as a career, you would need a medical degree probably.
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
If you wanted to pursue neuroscience as a career, you would need a medical degree probably.
really?! Even if i wanted to go into research?!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
:fyi: Neuroscience is not a medical specialty.

(Original post by d0nkey_dude)
Medicine is only required to go into Neurology or Neurosurgery, both medical specialties.

Neurosciences would make you eligible for Graduate Entry Medicine, but it's a science degree.

Read https://www.bna.org.uk/careers/ for what you can do with a neuroscience degree.
Last edited by ecolier; 2 years ago
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Then idk. There are a wide range of courses that seem like they prepare you for a specific career but aren't really necessary.
kozmicbloos
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No you don't need to study medicine, if you wanted to go into research. You would need medicine to become a neurologist doctor but that's different to being a neuroscience researcher.
Most neuroscience masters want a relevant bachelors which could be biology for example. You have to check the bachelors degree requirements for the specific neuroscience masters. Then after that you could apply for a neuroscience phd. Or go straight into lab research IF there are openings for research.
d0nkey_dude
Rep:
?
(Original post by kozmicbloos)
No you don't need to study medicine, if you wanted to go into research. You would need medicine to become a neurologist doctor but that's different to being a neuroscience researcher.
Most neuroscience masters want a relevant bachelors which could be biology for example. You have to check the bachelors degree requirements for the specific neuroscience masters. Then after that you could apply for a neuroscience phd. Or go straight into lab research IF there are openings for research.
Yeah so do u think i shouldn’t really apply for natural sciences?
kozmicbloos
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah so do u think i shouldn’t really apply for natural sciences?
It's up to you. Primarily you should take into account that you should apply to the course you will work hardest in and be most motivated to do. If you're not motivated you won't work so hard and you won't do as well.
If you did natural sciences, with neuroscience options within it, there would be some neuroscience masters that would accept you as some neuroscience masters just ask for things like a 'relevant biological subject' for bachelors. I've seen that on neuroscience masters websites for example one at imperial.
But if you did a straight neuroscience degree, surely there would be some neuroscience masters that would also accept you. The only question is for doing neuroscience later on at masters or phd level, which bachelors looks most academically rigorous or favourable. I can't answer that, I would imagine it would be specific to each university. I didn't answer your question directly but I hope you see where i'm coming from, based on my knowledge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads